Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 07-26-2017 15:47
    Greetings everyone! I'm starting my first full year of teaching and need some advice.

I need some suggestions for some easy starter musicals (high school level). This school hasn't done a musical in many years and we're adding it back into circulation. but I need some nice simple ones to start out.

And I also need some just straight play suggestions. They've done some easy plays in the past and I'm looking to add some more advance work into the rotation, so any suggestions would be nice! Especially in the comedy sector. 

Thanks everyone!

------------------------------
    Joseph Ellison
    Theatre Director
    Rio Rico AZ

• 2.  RE: Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 07-26-2017 16:12
    I have had the same situation at the schools I have taught at.

I have found that Little Shop is a great first choice for a musical if you have the funds to rent the plants.  The kids get a kick out of the plants as well as the audience.  Plus you only need one set and the music is simple enough.

Adam Slee
    Ogden UT

• 3.  RE: Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 08-01-2017 09:18
    ​I happen to have said plants and am looking to sell all of them.

Candice Corcoran
    Kennesaw GA

• 4.  RE: Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 07-27-2017 11:09
    How open is your community? If you could get away with it Nunsense is a great female only show

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 07-27-2017 11:55
    +1 for Nunsense! If you do the "Mega-Musical Version" you can incorporate some boys into the chorus as well.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 6.  RE: Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 07-27-2017 14:58
    For a comedic straight play with a little more challenge than your average high school fare, you may want to look at Hilary DiPiano's Love of Three Oranges or The Green Bird. I considered both for last year and am still keeping them in mind for the future. They're updated commedia plays, so you have the challenge of performing in that style, but they're funny for a modern audience and have big ensembles with lots of casting opportunities. I also liked Don Zolidas' version of The Birds for many of the same reasons.

For musicals, I suggest something old school like Once Upon a Mattress. The Fantasticks is also fun and offers some good opportunities and flexibility.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 07-28-2017 06:42
    My school budget was somewhat small last year and we performed Songs for a New World with only microphones and actor blocks. Each individual got a solo part as well as a few groups numbers. It's a bit challenging vocally. I worked with our choir teacher on the group numbers. Great for character building as they have to find the clues about their characters solely in the songs! 

Complete Works of WS Abridged is also pretty funny, simple sets wise, and could be an expanded cast.

Laura Beeman Nugent
    Theatre Teacher
    Loyola College Prep Troupe 6829
    Artistic Director
    Shreveport Little Theatre Academy
    Shreveport, LA

• 8.  RE: Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 07-28-2017 08:12
    If you are just starting a musical program, I would do something with serious community buy in! Get people in the door to support and make some money. Musicals are a lot more expensive than straight plays, so picking something the public knows will help you be able to pay for another one next year! I will also add that doing Jr. Versions of musicals are SO much easier than full length musicals. We do full lengths in the spring and jrs. as in class projects. They have great titles in Jr form: Legally Blonde, Beauty and the Beast, Shrek, Little Mermaid, Lion King, Sound of Music, Once Upon a Mattress, Elf, Guys and Dolls...any many more! They make the music slightly easier and they pair the run length down to a little over an hour. (They say an hour, but in my experience- it is more like an hour and 15 minutes.) 

If you are not interested in that, I would go with something that is more like a play with music than an exhaustive musical. Wizard of Oz would be a great choice!

Brooke Jackson
    Lexington KY

• 9.  RE: Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 07-29-2017 09:38
    My first year teaching, I found myself with a small amount of funds in the theatre account and unpaid bills in my school mailbox that needed to be paid. I chose a season that would put butts in seats.  The fall play was a simple court room drama set, Night of January 16th by Ayan Rand.  The jury for the trial is picked from the audience. As a fundraiser,  audience members could buy a chance to sit on the jury. This jury decided the guilt or innocence of the accused, so the play ending was dependent on the vote of the jury.  Some parents put $10  in the raffle to make sure that they got a seat on the jury and could watch their child in front row on the stage. Also since there were two endings, audience members saw multiple shows hoping to see the alternative ending.

The spring musical was Grease, a show that many theatre people either love or hate.  However, bottom line is that students love it and the audience was packed every night. Let me say that this is not a simple show to do as there is a lot of dance and scenes that take place in numerous locations. However, the pit is small, the music relatively easy and the costume changes minimal (50s stuff is easy to rent or borrow). I am glad that I did it once, got the budget back in the black, but would never do it again.

My favorite play to direct is Almost, Maine.  That show will challenge your students and teach them a lot about timing and delivery. It's sort of a comedy.  My students loved the show too.

Good luck with your first year! You should reply to this thread in a year and let us know what you chose and if it was successful with your students and your audience.

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 10.  RE: Musical/Play Suggestions

Posted 08-01-2017 08:17
    A musical about history or literature such as a musical about Shakespeare or Hamilton etc could be marketed so that local schools will send busloads of students at reduced cost to fill up the theatre and give you a bit of exposure.

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com