Open Forum

View Only

One-Acts with Ensembles?

• 1.  One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-11-2018 18:21
    For the past three years, our school has produced a one-act with a cast of 25 students, and we've challenged ourselves to have every student stay on stage the entire show. Our ensemble moves fluidly and often play a lot of functions: townspeople, set pieces, used to convey and heighten emotional material, etc.  We love this style and want to explore more shows that we can use this with. The shows we've produced in this style are Don Zolidis's "Monster," Robert Schenkkan's "Fire in the Hole," an original show "Son of Liberty." We're currently producing "Peter and the Starcatcher" as our spring show, so that option is out. "Radium Girls" is produced quite frequently in our festival, so trying to stay away from that show. No musical can be considered, so what ideas can we explore? What's worked for you?

------------------------------
    Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 2.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-12-2018 05:00
    Check to see if you could do a cutting of THE LARAMIE PROJECT.  I did the full show with a cast of 20 with excellent response.

Floyd Nash
    [Theatre teacher]
    Deerfield Beach High
    Deerfield Beach, FL

• 3.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-12-2018 10:02
    There is a cut version of LETTERS TO SALA not yet published, but I'm happy to send to you. Flexible cast size, mostly women.

Also, since you mention the wonderful RADIUM GIRLS, did you know that D. W. Gregory has another play for similar casts and audiences? Here's the information on it.

SALVATION ROAD by D.W. Gregory
    A new play for young actors from the author of Radium Girls. For 12 to 16 performers (9-11 F/3-5M) with flexible casting. Now available from Dramatic Publishing.
     Where do you draw the line between faith and fanaticism?
     When Cliff Kozak's hip older sister falls in with members of a fundamentalist church, she suddenly cuts off the whole family as "toxic." A year later, an unexpected sighting of Denise propels Cliff and his best friend into the heart of a deepening mystery. Is she a victim or an accomplice in her own disappearance?
     Salvation Road is the winner of the American Alliance for Theatre and Education's Playwrights in Our Schools award. It was developed by New Plays for Young Audiences at New York University's Steinhardt School and was the national winner of Walden Theatre's (Louisville, Ky.) Slant Culture Competition.
     Read more about the play and production history at http://www.salvationroadplay.com.

Arlene Hutton
    The Barrow Group
    New York, NY

• 4.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-12-2018 11:01
    "Us & Them" by David Campton - Dramatic Publishing

https://www.dramaticpublishing.com/us-and-them

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Executive Board
    Maconaquah High School
    Bunker Hill, IN

• 5.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-12-2018 11:05
    In loking for works to do with my intro classes, I found a number of one-acts that fit this requirement, depending on your audience. I really Liked Hoodie from Theatrefolk.  definitely for a middle school type audience, but lots of room to play with an ensemble. I liked Box and Anonymous for the same reasons.  Big ensemble, relevant issues for teens. Some opportunity for leads.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 6.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-12-2018 13:20
    Maybe the Spirit of Life? It's a series of short scenes about individual experiences in the Holocaust. It's listed as 3m 6w, but that's a minimum and it could easily handle a cast of 25. 

The Spirit of Life
    Samuelfrench remove preview
    The Spirit of Life
    "Your play showed that human nature was not narrow-minded and through that whole experience the good of the human soul did triumph over evil." - Jennifer L., student "The Spirit of Life is a great portrayal of the Jewish experience." - Melissa J., student
    View this on Samuelfrench >

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 7.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-12-2018 20:39
    If you want to go full-length, I suggest THE TRIANGLE FACTORY FIRE PROJECT, by Christopher Piehler. It predate RADIUM GIRLS by a number of years, and (heresy!!), it's a better show. There are some 47 characters in the show, some of whom are constant and some of whom come and go. For an extra challenge you can employ accents: New York, Irish, Yiddish, Italian among them.
    Most, if not all, of your actors can remain on stage in some capacity.
    It's tightly written, fast-paced, and much of it is taken from transcripts of eyewitness accounts and the subsequent trial.You might even be able to trim it to just over an hour.
    You can produce it with a suggestive set. We used platforms and staircases to create the areas.

• 8.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-13-2018 22:23
    Does anyone know if the "THE TRIANGLE FACTORY FIRE PROJECT" is cuttable for a one-act? I certainly appreciate all the suggestions, but because of our festival rules, our show can only be 40 minutes. 

Jessica Harms
    Theatre Director
    Acton MA

• 9.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-15-2018 11:40
    It must be because it has been done in Texas for UIL theatre contest many times. But always check with the publisher or author for the rights to do it.

break a leg and may all your theatre seats be filled.

Kelly Thomas
    Poteet High School
    Mesquite, Texas

• 10.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-16-2018 21:55
    I would suggest sending a request to cut it to Dramatists Play Service, which licenses the play. Conceivably, you could only do the first act, which deals just with the fire, itself.

• 11.  RE: One-Acts with Ensembles?

Posted 03-18-2018 20:45
    Lots of great suggestions...I'd like to add a few more.

If you are looking for vignette ensemble shows, I'd look at Wait Wait Bo Bait & The Snow Show  & other already mentioned, by Lindsay Price.  If you are looking for full stories, I'd also look at Lindsay's Cobweb Dreams & The Hope and Heartache Diner.  Lindsay's scripts are with Theatrefolk.  

If you are looking for a show that is primarily females, I'd look at the one-act version of Women and War by Jack Hilton Cunningham at Samuel French. 

Wishing you the best!

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY