Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Improv Theatre GAMES

Posted 10-18-2016 11:29
    I'm running improv theater games for the beginning of rehearsals with my troupe to improve improv skills ad well as build a sense of community and fun. I've been doing it for the past few weeks and have nearly run out of good ideas. Does anyone have any? Thanks!

---------------------------------
    Timothy Meylor
    Lafayette CO
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Improv Theatre GAMES

Posted 10-18-2016 13:29

The Living Playbook, compiled by Unexpected Productions in Seattle, is a great resource for improv games and scenes:

The Living Playbook

------------------------------
    Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 3.  RE: Improv Theatre GAMES

Posted 10-19-2016 09:56

Christopher, this improv source you have provided is AMAZING!!! The Living Playbook is the most comprehensive collection of Improv activities I have ever come across. Thanks so much for recommending it, as I am trying to get an Improv Group going here at our school. I will not run out of ideas with this at my fingertips. Thanks!

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 4.  RE: Improv Theatre GAMES

Posted 10-19-2016 10:19

Hi there!

First and foremost, are you using the Spolin book?  That has ideas galore!  And just when you think you've done them all, then you can combine them in different ways, and you suddenly have TONS more options. 

Second, let's set up a time to chat.  Working with teachers by helping them with improv in their classroom is quite literally what I travel the country doing.  We could arrange a time to Skype/Facetime, and discuss what you've already done, and create possibilities for the future. 

Third, you wrote you are using improv at the beginning of rehearsals for fun and community.  Great!  Are you also using it for character development for their roles, how to conquer stage business (especially those in the ensemble), and even things like eye contact and physical presence?  

All this to say, you're never out of "good ideas".  :)

Let's chat soon!

Onward!

~Missy

Missy Whitis
    "Working hard for the funny."
    missy@housethatjackbuilt.org
    FB = @themiddlechildimprov

• 5.  RE: Improv Theatre GAMES

Posted 10-19-2016 14:15

I love to start off rehearsals and classes with improv activities to get them warmed up, energized, and to help them get to know one another.  A few activities that we use often are the games Fast Numbers, Musical Personalities, Kitty Wants a Corner, Splat, and Do You Love Your Neighbor.  If you are unfamiliar with any of these, just let me know and I'll send you a description.

Sarah Gerling
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Columbia MO

• 6.  RE: Improv Theatre GAMES

Posted 10-20-2016 07:13

Living Playbook is an absolutely amazing source! I highly recommend as well.

I actually published a book last year specifically designed for teachers in our positions - trying to improve improv skills while building the sense of community in our performers.

Warm-ups, Tune-ups (longer exercises), and full-fledged games are all broken down by the performance areas they improve and improv skills that are targeted.

I also include sample workshop formats, ideas for structuring an performance, glossary, lists of endowments and other resources. You can find it in print or for kindle on amazon.

I hope it's something you would find useful!

Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv

Amazon remove preview
    Absolutely Everything** You Need to Know about Teaching and Performing Improv
    View this on Amazon >

Trace Crawford
    Drama Director, Hilliard Davidson High School
    www.hilliarddavidsontheatre.com
    www.tracecrawford.com

• 7.  RE: Improv Theatre GAMES

Posted 10-20-2016 14:46

You can use Improv Encyclopedia which allows for sorting by game, group size, categories, etc. Under "Games", I will have students select a letter of the alphabet, click on that letter, see how many games exist, have students give me a number, count to that game, project it, read it aloud, and learn to play it! Sometimes it's great. Other times it gets us started on a great conversation around how we can make it stronger using the rules of improv. Learning all around.

Improvencyclopedia remove preview
    Improv Encyclopedia
    Encyclopedia of improv games, improv terms, formats, and references. Whole site can be downloaded as a PFD booklet.
    View this on Improvencyclopedia >

It also references The Living Playbook at: http://improvencyclopedia.org/references/Living_Playbook.html

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR