Open Forum

View Only

Special Circumstance Student

• 1.  Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-25-2020 14:49
    I have a student who has recently been going through a rather traumatic time in his life. I'm aware of some of the details, but not all of them. He will not be returning to school but will only take on line courses. 
    As a result, I'm going to have to replace him in the show. 
    Do/Can we change the status of a student from active to inactive on line or is that just an internal thing for the individual troupe to do?

------------------------------
    Todd Terrell
    Drama Director
    Parker City IN

• 2.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-26-2020 06:46
    ​Todd,
    Are you talking about his Thespian status?

Teresa De Zarn
    Troupe Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 3.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-26-2020 09:09
    Teresa,
    Yes.

Todd Terrell
    Drama Director
    Parker City IN

• 4.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-26-2020 11:16
    Christopher,
    I didn't mean that he wouldn't be a Thespian. He will still be taking classes at our school but only on-line. I just wondered if I need to change anything on the Thespian Website.

Todd Terrell
    Drama Director
    Parker City IN

• 5.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-26-2020 10:58
    To be honest, I think a lot of it is up to you as Troupe director, or whatever you have laid out in your constitution. Here is what the Thespian handbook says:

"Official Thespian induction confers a lifetime membership. Thespians cannot be withdrawn from the national membership rolls and continue to receive subscriptions and other benefits that come directly from the National Office. However, troupe directors may suspend or withdraw a Thespian's status as a member in good standing of the local troupe for just cause, usually according to guidelines set in the troupe constitution and in consultation with the administration. Losing local good standing may affect major benefits that require a troupe director's authorization, including point awards, honor ranks, graduation recognition, troupe and chapter event participation, etc."

So in essence, the student is still a Thespian. For life. If they have not done anything to merit removing their "in good standing" designation, then no changes really need to be made. They may not be a currently "active" thespian in your Troupe, but I don't really know if you can or necessarily why you would remove that status even if they are no longer at your school. 

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA

• 6.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-26-2020 11:22
    ​ The young man is a Thespian for life. That doesn't change. Is it necessary to make him inactive right now? If he is going through some emotional/ psychological trauma, I would leave it be. He probably already feels detached from his school mates. Is there a need to risk possibly making him feel ostracized completely?

Teresa De Zarn
    Troupe Director
    Cincinnati OH

• 7.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-26-2020 11:51
    Teresa
    I am asking if I need to change something on the website. I'm not pulling him aside and telling him that he is no longer a Thespian. I am aware a person is a Thespian for life. I just wanted to know if I needed to change something on my troupe business on the ITS website. That's all. I'm DEFINITELY NOT OSTRACIZING him. I'm just trying to keep accurate records.

Todd Terrell
    Drama Director
    Parker City IN

• 8.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-26-2020 14:26
    You can't actually change their status on the website anyway.  I had a student in our troupe leave to attend another school and was told that unless she transferred membership to the new school, which she didn't, they would remain on my roster until they graduated.  It has become a bit of a joke in our troupe and occasionally her friends will try to Facetime her into meetings.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 9.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-26-2020 14:52
    Thanks to everyone who responded! It has really helped!
    Todd Terrell

Monroe Central Jr/Sr High School
    1878 N 1000 W
    Parker City, IN 47368-9571
    765-468-7545 x 3106

Language Arts and English Lab 7
    Student Media
    Yearbook/Newspaper Advisor
    Masque & Gavel Director

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended solely for the addressee(s) and may contain confidential and/or privileged information and may be legally protected from disclosure. If you are not the intended recipient of this message or their agent, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, please immediately alert the sender by reply email and then delete this message and any attachments. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, copying, or storage of this message or its attachments is strictly prohibited.  

• 10.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-27-2020 19:37
    Since the student started with you at the beginning of the year, there is no reason to adjust his status on the website.
    If he is a senior, it is a mute point. If he is not graduating, he may end up coming back next year, therefore, keep his records up to date. I even kept students who moved to another school on the roster, because, sometimes a year later they returned. It simplified my paperwork. Once inducted, I did not adjust any member's status, whether they remained active with the troupe or not.  Hope this helps.

You sound like a very caring director. Please don't take comments too personal, I do not believe anyone was accusing you of ostracizing this student. Teresa was just bringing up that making changes to this student's status COULD be seen as a negative by the student himself, if he ever found out. I hope you continue to come to the forum for help, and hopefully you have received some help from the many comments.

Good luck with your production, and hope you are able to replace him in the show.  It is always sad to see students struggling, hopefully this change will help him in the long run.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    Amherst Junior High
    Amherst, Ohio

• 11.  RE: Special Circumstance Student

Posted 02-27-2020 11:25
    Kudos to everyone who replied with such helpful and accurate information! To quickly sum them up, unless the Thespian is transferring to another school with an active troupe, he'll stay on your active roster as a member of your troupe until he graduates, then he'll be moved to your alumni list. You and your administration can set standards for being a member in good standing of your local troupe, and that could affect a student's access to local troupe benefits that require your authorization. Local troupe standing is not tracked on the troupe or student records at schooltheatre.org at this time, so there's nothing else you need to do to keep your records accurate. It sounds like you plan to maintain his good standing, and that will mean a lot to him considering everything else going on in his life.

Act well your part; there all the honor lies.

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association