Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  You Can't Take It With You Help

Posted 09-03-2017 14:13
    I just had auditions for You Can't Take It With You and the turnout was very small. My question is, has anyone had a similar issue? Do you double cast any of the smaller roles or consolidate lines?

• 2.  RE: You Can't Take It With You Help

Posted 09-04-2017 09:14
    If I have a turnout that small, I cast what I can and then I recruit.  I'd approach a student in my drama classes, find out what other commitments/activities he or she has, give them a copy of the rehearsal schedule and then say "I have a part you'd be perfect for."

------------------------------
    Irene Imboden
    Teacher/ Drama Director
    Troy City Schools
    OH

• 3.  RE: You Can't Take It With You Help

Posted 09-04-2017 13:50
      |   view attached
    Using a spreadsheet, create a scene breakdown (I have attached my scene breakdown for Skin of Our Teeth as ab example), This will show any doubling possibilities.

If you are going to recruit, give the leads to the people who showed up and the smaller rolls to the recruits.

Turn recruiting into a promotional piece for your department. Ask the student body officers to fill in. Ask football players to play the G-men. It is only once scene and you can work around their schedule. Or basketball or other sports players. Have women play the G-men.

I hope this helps. Break a leg.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

Attachment(s)

• 4.  RE: You Can't Take It With You Help

Posted 09-04-2017 15:05
    I love this show! Great choice and you can make this work.

As suggested, try recruiting and doubling for some roles to make it work but also...

This may sound silly but try asking your school staff if they would be interested in taking on smaller roles. When we did it the IRS agent was a teacher, as were the cops who come in at the end for example. If you have a clear plan you can rehearse around them not being there with maybe you reading the lines to get the rest of the cast into the blocking and then you can bring in teachers for just a week or so of rehearsal at the end to get them in there. You could use a teacher for any of the sillier roles in that show as well (Gay, Kolenkov, Grand Duchess) and rehearse those specific scenes that they are in on a particular day say Mondays, which would mean only asking the teachers to come in on Mondays. Not as big of a time commitment as more frequent rehearsals might be. Having teachers in the cast can also really bring in an audience, as they will help to majorly promote your show within their classes and among their own friends. 

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Arnold High School Theatre
    Panama City Beach, FL
    Program Director and Thespian Sponsor

Florida Association for Theatre Education
    Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair

• 5.  RE: You Can't Take It With You Help

Posted 09-04-2017 19:02
    I do not think you can combine roles in this show; the best you can do is utilize some of the smaller bit parts for the detectives at the end.    Does your school allow you to have faculty actors?   Students love to see Faculty on stage and there are some lovely parts.  Just a thought.  
    I hesitated doing this show for years because of the props, but I finally did it a couple of years ago when I knew I had the potential for a good cast and it was worth the wait.   Best of luck!

--

You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace; the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands. -   Isiah 55:12

Bonnie Wilson
    Performing Arts Department, Instructor

Notre Dame Preparatory High School
    9701 E. Bell Rd // Scottsdale, AZ 85260
    O: 480.634.8360

www.NDPSaints.org | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube | Linkedin

• 6.  RE: You Can't Take It With You Help

Posted 09-05-2017 08:13
    I directed YCTIWY last fall. It was unknown to the students.  I advertised auditions as the show which inspired "Meet the Parents" and "The  Adams Family." We had two complete casts and the students loved it. Ask your cast, who now know the show, to recruit friends.
    The only roles you could double are Henderson/FBI agent or Gay Wellington/Olga. They do not appear in the same scenes.

Kathryn Costello
    Theater director
    Arlington Heights IL

• 7.  RE: You Can't Take It With You Help

Posted 09-05-2017 12:14
    I am the theatre director for a small school, and I ended up have two females play male roles (the tax person and Donald, specifically).

Janette Clark
    Drama Teacher
    Minneapolis KS

• 8.  RE: You Can't Take It With You Help

Posted 09-08-2017 15:22
    We did this play last year and I had to recruit.  I ended up having two females play g-men, I moved a female playing a g-man to playing Gay Wellington (she was a freshman who filled in for others  when absent and practically stole the show as Gay).  I would have had one of the g-men play Henderson in Act I if we had not gotten enough people otherwise.

Truthfully, it wasn't the casting that caused me headaches.  I recruit and bribe like crazy to get that accomplished.  It was the set and props.  Dear lord in heaven there is a reason Lego is a household name and Meccano is not.  (My wonderful husband ordered a Meccano pirate ship from Amazon with points so it was free and we only partially built it.)  Don't get me started on the printing press either.  We skipped the accordion Donald is supposed to carry.  It was never spoken of in dialogue, therefore it didn't exist for us.

If, like others have suggested, you can snag a teacher to play one of those smaller roles (even better if it's a well-liked administrator), that can help with ticket sales.  Good luck with this show!

Melissa Gibson
    Drama teacher
    Oak Harbor High School
    Oak Harbor WA