Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Spring Awakening - touching a nerve on campus

Posted 09-18-2019 01:14
    Can you share some more thoughts about doing Spring Awakening at the high school level? I've read everything about SA on this forum, but I'm still not sure how to respond to a mother who is raising quite a ruckus on campus about our production, scheduled for April. 

I have a core group of students who have seen the show in NYC and here in LA and are dying to do it. We went to the Los Angeles County High School for the Arts (LACHSA) in the spring to see their production, and everyone was blown away. Except for this mother who was outraged, and her son who felt really uncomfortable. But the core students have been practicing the songs all summer, and we have 20 kids signed up to do the show. I have programming started to support the production and am partnering with non-profits (teenage suicide/stress, LBGTQ, Planned Parenthood) to provide workshops in the months leading up to the production. The administration has been supportive. Until this mom started writing emails and making phone calls .... Now they want me to think about pulling it. 

I don't do this show lightly, and I have honestly been concerned about the few kids who are unsettled by it. Three kids won't be in the show b/c it makes them too uncomfortable. They are core theater students - 2 juniors and 1 senior - so this makes me feel really bad that they won't be in the show. But the other seniors are desperate to do it, and I absolutely love the music, myself. We're a small school, so losing 3 kids feels like a lot. (But 20 have signed up to do it!)

I'm going to give quotes from some of her emails, and I'd love to hear your thoughts about any of this. Thanks!

"I don't think many kids will be honest about their level of discomfort. There is a lot of peer pressure (for kids and parents) to be hip and woke -- heaven forbid anyone step up and act too conservative. You should assume the voices against will be more muted."

"The show is not about kids finding their own voices. It is about adults being corrupt and untrustworthy, and our base natures being vile and untrustworthy. Trust no one -- authority figures are domineering and self-centered; they will fail you and hurt you -- in fact leading to two characters' deaths. Do not trust even yourself, as you are too flawed to separate out love, sex and violence. This show is offensive not because of "Totally Fucked" -- I don't care about using the "F" word. But I do believe that authority and order very much matter in society, and kids need to learn what people and systems can be trusted, as opposed to rejecting them all. And I certainly want kids to love and trust themselves, and not confuse sex, love, and violence. That was the most disappointing and offensive part of the show."

"A school is not and should not be a democracy. Educators have a mission, and it isn't to please students. What is the mission of a high school theater program to you? Is it community advocacy? Raising awareness? Or is it providing a safe space for young budding actors to learn theatre at their appropriate developmental pace? Sometimes you have to chose your mission."

"I think that you have done a lovely job building a community of kids and parents, but this is going to split the community."

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: Spring Awakening - touching a nerve on campus

Posted 09-18-2019 03:15
    I actually don't agree with this mom's comment about what she sees as the show's take on authority!!

It might be that it's too dark, and that we should just do a concert of songs from the show. It is a show about trauma; maybe it can be traumatizing to young people who are learning to navigate their own boundaries. Maybe students might find that diving deep into the characters could be triggering once they're in the rehearsal process; what if they wish they had never agreed to be in the show; what if they wish I had protected them, and not asked them to do things that made them uncomfortable? What if someone comes to see the show who hasn't attended the suicide or consent workshops?

Or, what if I'm concerned about the violence in the show, but we're talking about a generation of students who go to school every day where there are school shootings so they welcome the opportunity to talk about the things that are terrifying them about being a teenager today. Students know what violence and sexual violence is and they know that it's not romantic. Maybe a musical like this gives focus and provides a platform for discussion for the community at large. By doing this show in a school we can actually talk about these topics in a factual way in a safe environment.

A friend saw this show in high school and she said it was "unequivocally a show I needed then. I'm sure some of your students need it now." 

But maybe it's too triggering for kids, and maybe some kids would consent to doing it but would regret it. Maybe I should be more careful with these humans who are just figuring out their boundaries. What if someone consents to do the show because they love the songs, or they want to be with their friends in a show in their senior year, but they actually wish I had protected them from doing it. 

Maybe in a way the school is too small to do this show. Maybe in a larger school with more theater opportunities, it's okay to do this knowing that kids can opt out of this one b/c they can attend or perform in another. 

Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 3.  RE: Spring Awakening - touching a nerve on campus

Posted 09-18-2019 12:43
    I believe it's valuable to want to expose your students to art that reflects & shapes the world the way Spring Awakening does.  I question myself all the time when I find a play I love or the students bring in a show they love that has "content issues" (which I at it's core disagree with if it's handled like you have described your plan to bring in services and counseling, etc.)  I am fortunate that I have eitheri not pushed the boundaries enough or that my community has wider boundaries, but I honestly don't know that I would be able to direct that play at the high school level for the reason you've described and your parent described.  I love the show.  I'm "not a musical person" but it's one musical that makes me love musicals.  However, my students are generally on-board with whatever I want regardless of what they think....or they just don't audition.  I am doing Glass Menagerie and 10 people came out to audition out of 100 in our classes.  But 5 years ago I did Hedda Gabler (with the suicide) and the community and the students couldn't stop talking about it and it sold out in a 100 seat black box for 7 performances.  I don't know any of what I say is relevant and I feel like I got a little rambling but the point is I would tend to lean toward what the parent was saying in this instance.  Not because we should resolve ourselves to do "nice" theatre but because we live in the time we do where those things happen.  Hope it works out for you.

Joel King
    Woodstock GA

• 4.  RE: Spring Awakening - touching a nerve on campus

Posted 09-19-2019 08:28
    Look big picture: Is doing this show for the 20 students that are very passionate going to help build your program for the next couple of years?  Is losing a handful of very talented/passionate students going to serve the long-term goals of your program?  I compromise by doing "edgy" one act plays for smaller casts and smaller audiences while doing more mainstream big-time musicals.

Every year, we all have those kids who beg us to do certain shows.  Sometimes they want to re-create a cherished childhood experience (Disney shows) or want to be edgy and dip their toe into more adult fare ("Rent" or "Spring Awakening"). While all shows have their individual merits, each all has potential pitfalls.  I lost audience two years ago because of one line in one show that one preacher in one church misinterpreted as insulting.  It cost us money and support.  Because we have a strong reputation for doing quality work that appeals across the board, we were able to recover.  And so it goes.

If you can afford to lose students (and potential donors in the form of ticket sales and ad revenue), then so be it.  However, kids are always passionate in the short term and rarely look at the long-term consequences.  I've had scores of kids beg me to do shows with LGBT themes.  I've used their arguments as teachable moments to discuss the business and marketing aspects of show business.  While the lessons have been painful, they understand not all arts programs can accommodate all wants/goals.

For my program, for now at least, I wouldn't even consider "SA".  But, it may be the show that helps elevate your program to the next level.  If not, there are dozens other great shows to consider.

Josh Ruben, M. Ed.
    Fine Arts Head
    Northwest Whitfield HS (dba, The Northwest Theatre Co.)
    Tunnel Hill, GA

• 5.  RE: Spring Awakening - touching a nerve on campus

Posted 09-19-2019 08:05
    Hi,

I don't know the show. At all. As a parent I would have every right not to not let my kid try out or be in a play that I had issues with or that my kids had issues with. However, I would never insert myself into those decisions that belong to someone else. If she wants to not come, not support, not let her kids join in, fine. To keep others from doing so is wrong.

If you let a parent, whether right or wrong, make decisions on your shows, where does it stop? Next show, would you have to run it by her to get approved? It's a slippery slope and if you have the administrations support that's all you need. You have prepped for this and put all appropriate supports in place. Many, many kids need voices out there and you are now that voice until showtime.

Don't let her piss in your cornflakes.

Kati Heintzman
    Thespian Advisor
    Middletown City Schools
    Middletown OH

• 6.  RE: Spring Awakening - touching a nerve on campus

Posted 09-19-2019 09:07
    Hi Arden: It looks from the outside like you are doing everything you can to make sure this is a meaningful theatrical experience for the kids, one they could grow from. My heart goes out to you. And my gut reaction is like Kati's - this is a challenging show, but if you think it is challenging in a good way and starts conversations then don't shy away. Especially if you disagree with the mom's take on the point of the show. BUT it is also your job and your community - if it is getting too stressful, you have every right to not fight every battle. A couple of other things come to mind.

The first is that the key issue for making a decision seems to be the one the mom brings up: what's the mission of a highschool theater program? Do you know the Howard Sherman article? Might provide some insight for you moving forward.

Also, if you can, can you stop emailing and have a meeting? In the digital world, it is hard to do, but I think email is an awful place to have discussions. Our principal said something a few years ago that has stuck with me: if something can't get resolved in one email and then a response, jump on the phone or into a meeting. There is no space for actual listening in an email exchange. If this mom is going to put a stop to MANY of your students good experience, she must make time to meet with you (and an administrator) to really HEAR from you. To hear your hopes and dreams about the show and why you think it is important. 

Finally, if I can inappropriately makes some assumptions: it feels like what is going is that this mom has a kid who loves theater (loves having a home, a community, loves you!) who, for legit reasons for him/her, feels like they can't do the show and so is going to be left out. The kid is probably sad, there have been tears, and the mom is fighting for her child. That deserves a ton of empathy and indeed admiration. But does that mean this mom should control the other kids' experience and growth? I think it is important to understand where she is coming from in order to figure out what to do. 

Oh and finally, finally, are there things you can do in the staging to highlight the elements that you find important? Can you talk to the mom and say, I hear your concerns, here are a few things we are going to do that we think will send a different message than than the broadway version? To be clear that you are doing Seqouyah's SA not a different one.

Nick Hoffa
    Drama Director
    South Pasadena Unified
    South Pasadena CA

• 7.  RE: Spring Awakening - touching a nerve on campus

Posted 09-20-2019 07:16
    Because my writing was cited in this conversation (and thank you, Nick, for recalling this essay), and because this is an issue about which I feel passionate, I wanted to provide a more recent piece I wrote about the value of doing challenging work in school theatre, presented in a keynote two years ago, "School Theatre Can Be More." As it happens, I read this thread just hours before I present my workshop "Defending Your Shows" at the EdTA National Conference, and I'll be doing it twice next week at the TETA Conference in Dallas; this is a perpetually challenging dynamic for drama teachers and directors. Arden, I'd be happy to talk with you to talk about the issues and best strategy as you approach this show. You can reach me at artsintegrity@newschool.edu.

Howard Sherman
    Arts Integrity Initiative
    New York NY

• 8.  RE: Spring Awakening - touching a nerve on campus

Posted 09-20-2019 11:05
    Hello,

I produced and directed Spring Awakening last spring. I echo the sentiments and thoughts that the teachers/directors have shared with you. I also am so thankful for what Howard Sherman has written so eloquently about educational theatre. I was lucky to have the school administration approval and support for the show. There were definitely parents and some students who were not happy with me choosing the musical. I definitely had some days where I thought to myself what have I done? But there many more days where I stood in awe of my students - how they articulated their feelings and were willing to be vulnerable both on and off stage. Yes, students love the show and the songs, but it goes far beyond that. My students wanted material that reflected what they experience and feel on a daily basis. One of the biggest takeaways  is that this play was written in 1891, and yet many of the struggles are what students are still facing today.  This show gave the students and our community the platform to openly talk about topics that are hard to talk about. There are parents who will always say "well that is not my child" only to realize or maybe not, that yes it is. I can confidently say it was not only a life changing experience for my students, and myself but for our school community. Please feel free to message if you want to talk about our process and how we handled some of the scenes.  I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to produce.

Elise Marinkovich
    Drama Teacher/Director, Drama Club Advisor
    San Diego CA

• 9.  RE: Spring Awakening - touching a nerve on campus

Posted 09-20-2019 14:13
    Hello,

May or may not help: study guides.

Broadway:
    StageNOTES: Spring Awakening

A dissertation from an MFA candidate and his production at the Univ of Iowa:
    The Production of Spring Awakening (2013)

Michael McDonough
    TRW Asst VP Amateur Licensing
    New York