Open Forum

View Only

CLUE - script

• 1.  CLUE - script

Posted 10-31-2017 09:03

Clue, the stage play.

Does anyone know of a script for the play CLUE, and I am not looking for the musical version, 

Jeffrey P. Hudkins

Theatre Instructor/Theatre Director

International Thespian Troupe#1696 Sponser 

Hedgesville High School

"Don't wast your time trying to be like anybody but yourself, the things that make you strange are the things that make you powerful!"  Ben Platt, 2017 Tony Awards

• 2.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 10-31-2017 09:09
    I don't believe one exists. I've seen unofficial, bootleg ones, but nothing legal.

I've read news of Hasbro and the original screenwriters of the film working on a stage adaptation, but it will likely start on Broadway so we won't have it for a while.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 3.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 10-31-2017 09:10
    I remember seeing a production of Clue on the main-stage at a previous Thespian Festival, but I cannot remember if it was Muncie or Lincoln.  It was a great show and I really would like to do it next fall.

Jeffrey Hudkins
    Falling Waters WV

• 4.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 10-31-2017 13:49
    We might have been at the same festival - I saw it at Muncie in 1993 and loved it. I have a bootleg script from an unauthorized production my wife saw in college years ago. I looked all over for a published script, and read a lot of history of people doing unauthorized versions of it, and the evolution of Hasbro's "care-or-not-care-ness" about it. I'm not sure where that 1993 production stood in that history, but the script is nowhere to be found (by me, anyway) in official channels.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 5.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 10-31-2017 13:50
    A straight play adaptation of Clue (based on the game and the classic film) is forthcoming from Broadway Licensing. The show is currently restricted, but should be available for licensing to schools in the next couple of months. Check back at the Broadway Licensing site for further updates:

http://broadwaylicensing.com/shows/clue/

Brendan Conheady
    Broadway Licensing

• 6.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 11-01-2017 07:16
    Meaning an adaptation of the 1985(?) film? That play is not published. Supposedly some publisher has the rights but hasn’t done anything with it. However, the authors of the screenplay used to be reachable through their agent and permission could be acquired this way. I don’t have any contact information, but a director I worked with did this and I penned the adaptation. I just changed a couple lines to eliminate some rooms from the set.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 7.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 11-01-2017 11:04
    I received a catalog recently from Playscripts and they are releasing a version based on the movie that was adapted by Hunter Foster and someone else. It's not yet on their website, but it might be worth emailing them about.

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 8.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 11-02-2017 09:30
    I contacted the author a few years back, who was very nice, but does not hold the rights to the script.  He gave me a contact at Paramount Pictures, who refused to allow me to use their script to prepare a stage adaptation.
    Rick Osann
    Bonny Eagle HS
    Standish, ME

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any computer.

MSAD #6 - Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island, Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 9.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 11-02-2017 15:39
    The adaptation advertised in the Playscripts catalog is the version that will soon be available through Broadway Licensing (Broadway Licensing services the Playscripts collection of shows). This is a new adaptation of the 1985 film. For more information, please visit the website below:

http://broadwaylicensing.com/shows/clue/

Brendan Conheady

• 10.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 11-03-2017 10:03
    I just emailed our Playscripts area representative and she put me on the email list for Clue.  She said a perusal copy would be ready soon and that licensing would follow a bit later.  (Don't know how much later?)  Now if only there was a play adaptation of The Princess Bride...

Lisa Ronca
    Huxley IA

• 11.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 11-06-2017 13:48
    I'd love to produce Clue, too. Where do I sign up? As a side-note, I read in Broadway Briefing a month or so ago that a The Princess Bride script is in the works. To be released on Broadway in a couple years? Many more years until we can produce it?

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Roosevelt High School
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 12.  RE: CLUE - script

Posted 11-06-2017 14:52
    The contact page has a list of schools and the person each school should contact with questions.  I just emailed and asked about Clue.  My rep emailed back and said she added me to the mailing list.

Contact | Playscripts, Inc.
    Playscripts remove preview
    Contact | Playscripts, Inc.
    Playscripts brings new plays and musicals to professional, school, community, and college theaters to perform, read and enjoy. These plays represent a great diversity of voices, styles, and stories and offer a fresh perspective on the human experience.
    View this on Playscripts >

Lisa Ronca
    Huxley IA