Open Forum

View Only

Once On This Island - Thoughts?

• 1.  Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-27-2018 13:34
    I have seen it once a long while ago.  I don't remember loving it, BUT I know I hear positives, and I have a production staff person that is LOUDLY advocating for it.

So I thought I'd throw it out to the amazing folks here for your experiences and feedback.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this show? 

Pros?

Cons? 

Things to consider?

Does it work with a predominantly white cast?  

Does it need advanced singers?  

Would you tackle it with a younger, less experienced/talented cast?

Is it a show that elementary aged kids get and enjoy as audience members?

What was the community response?

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for any and all thoughts!!

------------------------------
    Brett Buffum

• 2.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-27-2018 14:15
    This is one of my favorite shows to do and I have done it with middle schoolers, high schoolers, and a performing arts group that was 8 years old and up. They all loved it and many asked to do it again years later so they could play different parts.
    It would be great for elementary kids with experience but may be bit too difficult for anyone's first time directing or music directing. The choreography can be simple and still lovely. I would suggest doing the junior version so you have a nice cut that is only one act.
    As for singers: The junior version is mainly in two parts and rather simple. Your Daniel sings only one song and it is cut in the junior version. TiMoune needs to be a great singer and the gods need to be singers appropriate for the style of their solo song (in other words, Erzulie needs a head voice, Asaka needs to belt, Papa Ge can act through the song, and Agwe can either do head voice or belt). Tonton and Mama don't need to be the best singers but their song with TiMoune makes everyone cry if they can sing well. 
    I think you can do it with any cast. Have your costumes show the difference between the village people and the rich. And I have done it with 30 kids and with 8, so your cast size doesn't matter.
    The kids love it.

Barbara Uterhardt
    Performing Arts Director
    Atlanta Girls' School

• 3.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-27-2018 19:52
    Barbara,

Thank you for the great thoughts!  I will definitely pass this along.

Brett

Brett Buffum

• 4.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-28-2018 07:36
    I love this show! The music and the story are lovely. Yes, it works with a less diverse cast. The writers actually planned for that possibility and have alternate lines in the back of the libretto that focus on class rather than racial differences.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-29-2018 08:09
    Great show for so many reasons. You won't regret it. Good luck.

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Sidwell Friends
    Washington, DC

• 6.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-28-2018 07:47
    I've seen the revival on Broadway twice now, and each time I cry/laugh/get scared, etc... It is such a beautiful story. Of course, the cast on Broadway is very diverse, but there are some lines you can change so that it doesn't refer to skin color. And I would agree with the top comment about singing. TiMoune really has to be a strong singer with ability to belt. And the gods need to be comfortable with unique "character" acting, especially Papa Ge, who has to do a few evil laughs. I would say, go for it if you've got the kids to sing and act it. And YES, little kids would get the story because it's a mixture of Romeo&Juliet and a little bit of The Little Mermaid esque themes!

Angela Smithhisler
    Teacher
    Angela Smithhisler
    Frederick MD

• 7.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-28-2018 09:14

Once On This Island is among my favorite shows of all time not only to see, but I absolutely loved producing it with my students. It was one of the strongest shows we have ever done and probably the most well received non-"typical high school show" we have done as well. 

The students were psyched to do it, and we do not repeat shows in our program but it is among one of the most requested to do again. I would in a heartbeat otherwise do it over and over again. I think the kids partly loved it because myself and the other director in our program at the time both loved it so much. I can tear up just explaining the plot.

What are your thoughts and experiences with this show?
    As you can tell from above I loved it. It was great for the students to study Haitian culture and history, which is almost completely left out of their history courses, and most kids couldn't point to it on a map before we did the show. Great learning opportunity, and the music and story plot moves quickly and is interesting and unexpected. It's also very ensemble heavy with many major roles and soloist opportunities spread out, but still plenty of room to add any size ensemble mixed in as much or as little as you desire. Very flexible cast size, and large core ensemble makes it perfect for high school in my opinion. 

Pros? See above

Cons? Not everyone is familiar with it, so play up the thematic elements like the island feel and empowerment plot points, it's relationship with The Little Mermaid, that it's based on a book. Most of all, tell the story to the kids who you want to recruit to audition. Have them listen to the music a bit. Get excited about it and they will because it's truly an amazing story with really beautiful music.

Things to consider? It's a little heavy and slightly scary at points for little guys; however, it's in general no scarier than a Disney film and it plays in a similar way. Consider a heavy push to a younger audience and maybe even casting a young person for young Ti Moune to draw in school groups if you can.

Does it work with a predominantly white cast?
    My school is predominately white and so was our cast for the show when we did it. We happened at the time to have a student who was the best person for Ti Moune who was black (she's now a BFA Musical Theatre Student at Howard) which made for a great contrast between her and both sides of the island as the character is somewhat an outcast everywhere. It worked well, but I'm sure could work with any students. It's truly a story about the story and not about skin color, but still take the time to reach out to students at your school who might not usually audition as you might attract new students who previously thought there wasn't a place for them with you.

Does it need advanced singers?
    A few of your students do need to help carry the weight of the vocal needs; however, many characters can use character voices, and a lot of the strong vocals come in choral work. It's VERY much an ensemble show. At the time we were flush wish students who were either very strong vocalists or very strong character actors so we used those items to our advantage in casting. Papa Ge can be played either way, ours was a strong vocalist and we gave him a familiar to move in creepy ways to add to the character. Our Agwe was female and had a good alto voice, but wasn't a super trained singer, it worked out fine and "Rain" was one of our best numbers. Our Asaka had killer chops and she helped other cast members through vocal challenges and did support vocals on everything plus killed her song. Our Erzulie had a sweet voice but wasn't necessarily a show stopping singer, but her soft voice worked perfectly for her solo work (the easiest of the four to sing in my opinion, but the prettiest song). Ti Moune needs some strength in her vocals, but other than that, everyone else can be done with moderate to strong singers mixed throughout. We pulled specific singers and dancers for certain ensemble song support so not everyone was in every ensemble song and giving us flexibility among the ensemble. 

Would you tackle it with a younger, less experienced/talented cast?
    I say go for it. There is room to grow into the roles, and if someone isn't as strong, they aren't trying to carry the whole show on their back, when their song is over the show moves on, so it works well in my opinion for a broad cast with various abilities.

Is it a show that elementary aged kids get and enjoy as audience members?
    Yes, see above. Consider the scarier moments as a point to tone down, such as going simple with "pray" and keeping the death played very cleanly and more about becoming a tree than anything else.

What was the community response?
    They loved it!

Kathleen McNulty Mann
    mcnulkl@bay.k12.fl.us

Program Director
    Arnold High School Theatre
    Thespian Troupe 6371
    Panama City Beach, FL

District 10 Chair & State Logistics
    Florida State Junior Thespians

Board Member
    Membership Committee Chair
    Florida Association for Theatre Education

• 8.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-28-2018 09:58
    we just did  ONCE ON THIS ISLAND last spring. It was wonderful. My cast was high school actors, plus 2 little girls as young Timoune and Island girl. We have a solid vocal coach. Singing is demanding. Can be  unit set, but lighting is important. We had a mixed cast. The script allows for some dialogue changes , so we went rich vs poor. Play was well received in our community, and we did invite area elementary students to special performance..
    I would not mount this show without some really strong voices.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 9.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-28-2018 12:44
    In my Catholic Grammar School, the reincarnation at the end will not fly but in our local catholic high school, it was allowed. Know your audience & administration.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendal Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 10.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-28-2018 18:17
    I did this show many years ago. I am the director of a high school in Vermont. It worked with an all white cast.  We did it in the round in my black box theatre with a medium sized cast. We had drummers in every corner of the space. The stage had two levels and the poorer part of the island was a huge sand box!  The one thing that was very important to me was that the dance was culturally island based not Broadway!  Fortunately a dance teacher with an African dance and gymnastic background had just moved to Rutland and agreed to try out choreography!  It was amazing!  At the end of the show the whole audience joined the cast dancing on and around our island!  The sense of community and love was very special. 
    It is very important to spend time developing the characters....researching the world of the play. Papa Ge needs to be scarey and have a soft side that we see at the end

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 11.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-28-2018 18:18
    I did this show many years ago. I am the director of a high school in Vermont. It worked with an all white cast.  We did it in the round in my black box theatre with a medium sized cast. We had drummers in every corner of the space. The stage had two levels and the poorer part of the island was a huge sand box!  The one thing that was very important to me was that the dance was culturally island based not Broadway!  Fortunately a dance teacher with an African dance and gymnastic background had just moved to Rutland and agreed to try out choreography!  It was amazing!  At the end of the show the whole audience joined the cast dancing on and around our island!  The sense of community and love was very special. 
    It is very important to spend time developing the characters....researching the world of the play. Papa Ge needs to be scarey and have a soft side that we see at the end.
    I would do this show again in the heartbeat.  Just need the right group of students.
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 12.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-29-2018 12:24
    We did it a couple of years a go at a rural high school, with a all white cast.  The show was beautiful.  I am sorry to say that it do not go over well with the community, it was the lowest attended musical ever for us.  Those who did come to see it, loved it, but it was hard for the non theatre community to get behind.  Very glad we did it, but we would never perform it again at that school.

- Michael L Kurhajec
    Techincal Director
    Union Grove High School
    Performing Arts Department

• 13.  RE: Once On This Island - Thoughts?

Posted 08-30-2018 15:37
    I am also considering this show for the spring and am SO appreciative of the questions asked here and the responses. It has pushed me over the decision line and I think I am going to go for it!

I have an additional question to those who have done this show, did you have your students attempt the accents, hire  a dialect coach? 

Thanks again!
    Sarah

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA