EdTA Theatre Education Conference

View Only

Do you have NYC questions???

• 1.  Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-08-2019 11:13
    Happy countdown to EdTA Conference all!

As a New Yorker (for almost 17 years now) I wanted to start a community thread for any New York City based questions you may have leading up to Conference. Please feel free to post questions/thoughts/comments here for all attendees to see!

I will start it off by saying TAKE THE SUBWAY! You will spend a fortune on Ubers/Taxis/Lyfts and it will take you longer to get there! The conference hotel is within a block and a half of the A,C,F,R,2,& 3 trains...all of which will have you to midtown manhattan in under 30 minutes.

Also, New Yorkers ARE actually helpful people...we are just busy people!  So, don't be afraid to ask somebody a question if you get turned around...but (helpful advice) just get to the point of the question.

Looking forward to greeting you all in less than 2 weeks!

~brian curl

------------------------------
    Brian Curl
    New York NY

• 2.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-09-2019 07:33
    I need a recommendation for a yummy but quick dinner on Saturday night before I take my husband to Aladdin. Any ideas? We'll be tied up with conference stuff until 6:30 (I think), and the show starts at 8 pm. My hubs has never been to NYC, so I want to make sure he gets authentic food all weekend. :-)

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-09-2019 09:33
    Hi Cassy!

Firstly, I want to remind you that it will take about 30-ish minutes to get from the Conference venue to Times Square (hoping the MTA Gods are on your side). So dinner plans may be very quick...I want to suggest grabbing something quick before the show to tide you over until the curtain comes down and then go get some dinner then.

Right by the Aladdin Theatre:
    • Schnippers: quick counter-service restaurant that can get you in and out and full before the show.   schnippers.com/8th-41st/
    • Chop't: quick counter-service salad restaurant. Chopt,1450 Broadway New York, NY 10018  choptsalad.com
    • Heartland Brewery: sit-down restaurant that is known for being quick-ish.  heartlandbrewery.com/time-square-2/?

If you decide to go out after the show, I HIGHLY recommend walking over to 9th Avenue (left if you exit the Theatre on 42nd Street...right if you exit the theatre on 41st Street). Make a right on 9th Avenue and there are TONS of restaurants or all types of food. I recommend Nizza, Mezcal, Southern Hospitality, Westway Diner...but any place is delicious (NOT Panda Express - i'm still floored that people go there...)

Hope this helps!
    ~brian

Brian Curl
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-10-2019 08:37
    I recommend you check out restaurant row on 46 st between 8th and 9th ave.  I agree that you will not have time to eat a full sit down meal but there are tons of restaurants and some are quick and they all have someone on the street to advertise and pull you in. Joe Allen's is a classic theater restaurant on that street too. Just tell them the time limit( there's even a bare burger which is super quick too closer to 9th ave).

Karen Sklaire Watson
    Brooklyn NY

• 5.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-09-2019 07:37
    Thank you, Brian, for the offer to answer questions!

I was doing some research about the subway - and the Blue A / Orange F lines have a direct path to the Jay Street- Metro Tech stop, which is the closest to the hotel.  (I'm arriving to Penn Station by train.)

Do you think it is worth purchasing an Unlimited Ride Metrocard? I'm considering it - even though I won't be there for a full week - simply to get where I need to go throughout the week for dinner, shows, etc.  I suppose I may need to see more specifics about the schedule - but I'll make at least 5 trips back and forth just to arrive/depart and do dinner each night.  At $2.75 per ride, that's $27.50 right there. What do you think?

Thanks!  See you soon!
    Missy

7-Day Unlimited Pass
    Cost: $33.00, reduced fare $16.50
    Good for unlimited subway and local bus rides until midnight, 7 days from day of first use.
    Note: PATH, AirTrain, and Express buses do not accept 7- and 30-Day Unlimited Ride MetroCard.

• 6.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-11-2019 11:00
    Hi Missy!

Smart thinking! I would definitely agree that purchasing the weekly MetroCard is the way to go (even though you won't be there for the full week). It's easier to not have to think about reloading your MetroCard...and you won't end up with a MetroCard that has a few dollars left on it at the end of your trip.

Hope this helps & see you next week!
    ~brian

• 7.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-09-2019 08:23
    Do you recommend the subway from the airport as well?

Brooke Phillips
    Omaha NE

• 8.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-09-2019 09:21
    Hi Brooke!

That depends on which airport you are flying into...:

LaGuardia: take an Uber!
    • it's definitely doable to take public transportation, but you will have to transfer a few times and for your sanity I would suggest just taking a car.

JFK: take the subway!
    • actually you will first have to take the AirTrain (very easy to find and navigate)
      • You will need to purchase an NYC MetroCard at the MANY kiosks located right before the turnstiles
        • If you are getting a weekly unlimited card for your time in NYC, you will ALSO need to add $5 to take the AirTrain (it's not included in the unlimited cards)
      • Make sure that you are getting on the AirTrain that is headed to Howard Beach Station - AirTrain Green (NOT the AirTrain headed to Jamaica Station - AirTrain Red)
    • At the Howard Beach Station (last stop on this AirTrain) exit the station and the A train is a brief 1 minute walk away (clearly marked signs will lead you there!)
      • Follow the signs to the A Train towards Manhattan
    • Ride the A Train 12 stops to the Jay Street-MetroTech station
    • Exit the station and the Marriott Hotel is a block and 1/2 away
    Newark Airport:
    • First-of-all, DON'T EVER FLY IN/OUT OF NEWARK if trying to visit NYC! (I half tease...it's just a pain / time-suck)
    • If you are traveling in/out of Newark Airport, I suggest taking the AirTrain to the NJTransit Train to Penn Station.
    • Once in Penn Station, follow the signs to the A Train towards Brooklyn
      • Ride the train until the 2nd stop in Brooklyn (Jay Street-MetroTech)
    • Exit the station and the Marriott Hotel is a block and 1/2 away

I also highly recommend downloading a free NYC subway map APP so you can follow along even in those places that you don't have cell phone service underground!

Hope this helps!!!
    ~brian

Brian Curl
    New York NY

• 9.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-11-2019 10:36
    Brian, Thank you for all your help!
    I live in DC, so I'm taking Amtrak up.  Can you give the most remedial instructions how to get from Penn Station to the hotel on the subway.  I have two suitcases, so I'm nervous about taking the subway and have never been out to B'klyn.
    Thanks!
    Kathy d'Alelio
    NoVA

Kathy d'Alelio
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Paul VI Catholic High School
    Fairfax, VA

• 10.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-11-2019 10:50
    Hi Kathy,

I'm happy to help ya!

Once you arrive in Penn Station follow the overhead signs to the A,C,E trains. Once you are getting close to the subway entrance, be sure to follow signs for the A train DOWNTOWN/BROOKLYN.

At this stop the center platform (where you will be) has both UPTOWN and DOWNTOWN trains...read the overhead signs to confirm that you are getting on the correct
    A train.

Ride the train 7 stops to Jay St. / MetroTech. (14th, west 4th, Canal St, Chambers St, Fulton St, High St, Jay St/MetroTech).

Exit the station and walk the 1 block to get to the Marriott hotel!

Hope this helps!
    ~brian

• 11.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-11-2019 12:00
    Brian, you are a hero to be such a help!

For those unfamiliar with mass transit in New York, in addition to Brian's excellent advice, I encourage you to check out the official MTA website, which has cool trip planner features (of course there's an app, too) 

https://new.mta.info

You can play around with places you want to go and get a good idea of how long, which way, etc. Have fun!

Janis

Janis Valdes
    St. Louis MO

• 12.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-12-2019 17:25
    Hi Brian, 

Thanks for your help navigating NYC while attending the conference.  What suggestions do you have for purchasing discount Broadway show tickets?  I.e. TKTS, rush tickets, lottery, Broadway Roulette, etc.

Thanks,

Russ

Russell Saxton
    Theatre Instructor
    Dixie State University
    St George UT

• 13.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-12-2019 17:39
    Hi Russ!

In regards to purchasing last minute discount tickets I would suggest a few options:
    • TKTS - right in the heart of Times Square...discounts vary, so I would recommend downloading the App to see what shows are being offered and what the current discounts are
    • Most shows offer Lottery/Rush tickets...check out this Playbill article for specific information
    • Download the StubHub App...you can score some great last minute deals on show tickets
    • Check out BroadwayBox.com for discount codes for lots of Broadway and off-Broadway shows
    • If you don't care about which show you see, Broadway Roulette is the way to go

Hope this helps!
    ~brian

• 14.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-12-2019 18:01
    I also forgot to mention Today Tix...download the app and see what discounts are available.

~brian

• 15.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-12-2019 18:07
    And if you are going to use TodayTix...use code HERCSUR10 to save $10!  Then use that $10 and buy me a drink! hehe!

• 16.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-13-2019 09:03
    As a former New Yorker, I was going to suggest TodayTix, too!

Emily Cassano
    Director of Theatre/Lecturer in Theatre
    Penn State Behrend
    Erie PA

• 17.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-13-2019 07:57
    Just saw this online-Friday the 13th sale! So excited to see this David Korins set. 

Veronica Stephenson
    Teacher/Director
    Enterprise AL

• 18.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-13-2019 20:10
    Which website?  How do I find the tickets?

Tracey Buot
    Performing Arts Dept. Chair
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia

• 19.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-13-2019 20:18
    @veronica  which website for the beetlejuice tix ​

Tracey Buot
    Performing Arts Dept. Chair
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia

• 20.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-12-2019 23:54
    Hi Brian! Thank you so much for helping us all out. How should one pack/dress for New York City this time of year? Lots of layers? I'm from California and it was 95 degrees today, and I don't want to have to buy a bunch of clothes when I get there. Thank you!

Tanya Misfeldt
    Theatre Teacher
    Sunnyvale CA

• 21.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-13-2019 15:48
    Hi Tanya!

Well in the past 48 hours it has gone from humid disgusting-ness pushing 90 degrees to incredible fall weather!

According to the Weather Channel App, it should perfect late summer/early fall weather for conference (low of 60 at night, high of 80 during the day). I wouldn't pack a winter coat, but I definitely suggest packing a few sweatshirt/sweater for the evenings, the conference rooms, and any theatre you are planning on seeing (as they are always FREEZING!)

Hope this helps!
    ~brian

• 22.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-16-2019 00:53
    Thanks so much for your help! We're going to see Come From Away, and would like to see at least one more show, Broadway or Off Broadway. Any favorites you think we shouldn't miss? We're pretty open to any genre, etc.

Thanks!
    Carol Griffitts

---------------------------------
    Carol Griffitts

Cajon High School (SBCUSD)
    San Berardino CA
    ---------------------------------

• 23.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-16-2019 08:30
    If you are looking for a play, rather than a musical - I highly recommend "The Play That Goes Wrong"

It is a play-within-a-play - and the set is amazing.  As things "go wrong" - you'll be amazed by all of the theatre magic.  And it's just plain hilarious!   It has moved to a different theatre since I've seen it - but when it was at the Lyceum theatre, balcony/mezz seats were only $37.  

My son picked it 2 summers ago and convinced me to do a double-show-day for a day trip to NYC... but then we took the whole family back a few weeks later to see it.  And then, I planned a bus trip to take my troupe.   I would go back a 4th time if I can't find something else that I can afford - it is just that much fun!

• 24.  RE: Do you have NYC questions???

Posted 09-17-2019 06:38
    The groundbreaking OKLAHOMA should not be missed. And TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD.

Gai Laing Jones
    President of Educational Theatre Association (EdTA), National Board Member of Educational Theatre Foundation (ETF)