Open Forum

View Only

Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

• 1.  Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 10-30-2017 22:34
    Just a brief informal survey for full time high school theatre instructors:

1.  How many preps do you have each day?
    2.  Do you teach both drama classes and technical theatre classes?
    3.  Do you have any support staff to help with drama and/or tech classes?
    4.  Who has the responsibility for scheduling and providing technical services for non-theatre events in your auditorium (Concerts, rentals, assemblies, etc)?
    5.  If you have technical support, what kind of support do they provide?  Are they certified teachers or non-certified staff?
    6.  On average, how many hours do you average on a weekly basis for all of your responsibilities, paid and unpaid?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jeana Whitaker
    Theatre Director
    Mesa AZ

• 2.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 10-31-2017 08:04
    1.  How many preps do you have each day? 4 - 6 depending on semester.
    2.  Do you teach both drama classes and technical theatre classes? Yes. I also teach debate, public speaking, and the Shakespeare course. 
    3.  Do you have any support staff to help with drama and/or tech classes? No. I am fortunate to have an assistant for the after school portion (she helps with costumes/hair/makeup). 
    4.  Who has the responsibility for scheduling and providing technical services for non-theatre events in your auditorium (Concerts, rentals, assemblies, etc)? I am. Anyone can request to use our space and provide details as to what they need. I then have to set up and take down. I do not have to clean. 
    5.  If you have technical support, what kind of support do they provide?  Are they certified teachers or non-certified staff? My assistant is a certified teacher in the special education department and also works with the ELA department.
    6.  On average, how many hours do you average on a weekly basis for all of your responsibilities, paid and unpaid? 48 - 55 "paid" counting the after school and contract teaching time. When called in or having to use personal time to set up could add between 2 and 3 hours. I also work with my advanced students off the clock for academic assistance and it can add 5-8 hours during the month of November and December. 

Charles Davis
    Teacher and Coach
    Waynesville MO

• 3.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 10-31-2017 08:14
    Hello,

Here are some answers to your questions:

1. I have 8 preps.  There are 4 levels of theatre at my school, and each level is cloned with an IB theatre class.  So, my Drama I is a combo with IBMYP Theatre Arts level 4.  This is true for each level going up.

2. I only teach theatre classes.  There are no tech theatre classes currently taught at my school.

3. There is one "Drama Assistant" who helps with the 2 main stage productions.  She's an English teacher and does most of our choreography and truly is a help when it comes to getting things done.

4. Our school has an activities director who is in charge of scheduling everything on campus.

5. No tech support staff.  I'm it.  I can call county electricians and our C&M head, but no one but me .

6.  contract hours: 40
         rehearsal hours 20-25 (small stipend that's like 15 cents/hour!)
        so, we're looking at 60-65 hour weeks...

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 4.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 10-31-2017 08:39
    1.  How many preps do you have each day? What does "prep" mean? I get one planning period a day (???). 
    2.  Do you teach both drama classes and technical theatre classes? I teach Drama I (3 classes), Drama II (1 class), Acting I (1 class), and Tech I/II (1 combined class). 
    3.  Do you have any support staff to help with drama and/or tech classes? No.
    4.  Who has the responsibility for scheduling and providing technical services for non-theatre events in your auditorium (Concerts, rentals, assemblies, etc)? There is someone set up as the head of the Fine Arts Center, but I am slowly becoming that person. 
    5.  If you have technical support, what kind of support do they provide?  Are they certified teachers or non-certified staff? He works for the Board of Ed. 
    6.  On average, how many hours do you average on a weekly basis for all of your responsibilities, paid and unpaid? 50-60?

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 5.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 10-31-2017 09:31

I teach 4 out of 5

Yes

No

4.  Who has the responsibility for scheduling and providing technical services for non-theatre events in your auditorium (Concerts, rentals, assemblies, etc)?

No Auditorium

5.  If you have technical support, what kind of support do they provide?  Are they certified teachers or non-certified staff?

Afterschool only - non certified

6.  On average, how many hours do you average on a weekly basis for all of your responsibilities, paid and unpaid?

Jason Robert LeClair, MA
    Artist/Arts Educator
    Director, Thespian Troupe 7444
    Beacon Charter High School for the Arts
    Woonsocket, RI

• 6.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 11-01-2017 07:34
    1. How many preps do you have each day? 7. Intro has two sections. Advanced acting Honors, regular advanced acting, and directing are combined in a class. IB 1&2 are combined. Stagecraft is its own section. Most of this (with exception of IB) is my own curriculum and by my design.
    2. Do you teach both drama classes and technical theatre classes? Yup. Working in CTE approval for Starcraft and advanced acting.
    3. Do you have any support staff to help with drama and/or tech classes? None. I am the only theatre teacher.
    4. Who has the responsibility for scheduling and providing technical services for non-theatre events in your auditorium (Concerts, rentals, assemblies, etc)? That’s me too. Someone else is in charge of scheduling but use of the auditorium comes to me through her. Then I work with used on what they need. There is a really small stipend for this part of the job.
    5. If you have technical support, what kind of support do they provide? Are they certified teachers or non-certified staff? I sometimes bring in professionals or college seniors from the community to help with lights and sound upgrades, maintenance, and repair. I pay them out of production budget (ticket sales). Costumes I have a person who helps all year and pay her the same way. The rest is all me. Fortunately my wife comes in and helps with set design and building.
    6. On average, how many hours do you average on a weekly basis for all of your responsibilities, paid and unpaid? 67 hours. 7am - 7pm Monday - Friday. That’s classes, grading, rehearsals, prep, etc. I no longer take any grading home and will not work outside of those hours. The couple weeks between shows I prep for the next show with less after school time and usually from home. 7 hours on Saturdays for set build, other tech work, or rehearsals.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 7.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 10-31-2017 12:04
    1. How many preps do you have each day?
    Theater 1-4, Honors, Advanced, Tech Proficient and Honors
    Nope
    Me or coordinate with professionals when app
    Boosters, weekends, non trained, some experience in crafting, sewing, carpentry, etc

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 8.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 10-31-2017 12:22
    I currently have 4 preps in 6 classes
    yes
    nope. I'm on my own
    We have an AV tech person on campus who is responsible for this, but several of my students are frequently assisted in other events.
    Our AV person is non-certified staff
    Although this is obviously larger during production, I average about 55 hours on a normal week

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 10-31-2017 13:01
    1.  I had four hour-long planning periods every day.
    2. I taught two sections of acting every day (one classical, one musical theatre) and two sections of technical theatre every day (one theatre design, one arts management).
    3. I had no access to support staff.
    4. Our operations director was responsible for scheduling all events in the auditorium (including theatre events) because we shared the building with another school. (Shared buildings are common in NYC.) I was responsible for providing tech for non-theatre events like the bi-annual talent show in the auditorium.
    5. N/A
    6. Honestly, I only taught about 25-30 hours a week. (Students didn't have arts electives on Fridays because of our regular assembly schedule, so I basically had an entire planning day once a week.) The position was still considered full-time though.

Victoria Chatfield
    Executive Director
    National Theatre for Student Artists
    www.nationalstudenttheatre.org
    vchatfield@nationalstudenttheatre.org

• 10.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 11-02-2017 00:05
    --I teach acting, directing, stagecraft, theatre leadership, and a non-theatre course called 9th grade access each day.  So...5?
    --Yes
    --We have a building coordinator who is also our technical director
    --Building coordinator
    --She is not certified (classified staff), but she does receive the stipend for a TD.  She does the set and lighting designs for our shows, and mentors our student designers.  She also helps supervise stagecraft as her schedule allows.
    When we're in production?  11-12 hours daily Mon-Fri (until we get closer to opening, when it becomes more like 14-16 hours), plus every other Saturday from 4-12 hours, depending on how close to opening we are.  So I guess 60-80 hours a week.  Outside of production (so, like 6 weeks a year!) I'm closer to a typical 40 hour work week.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 11.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 11-02-2017 11:45
    Arguably 4. I have two Drama 1/2 classes, a combo Drama 1-8 class, one Tech Theater 1/2 class, and a combo Tech Theater 1-8 class. But overall I teach 5 classes with 1 conference period.
    Yes
    No. I am very fortunate to have found a retired tech theater professional who volunteers with my program two afternoons a week, which has been a godsend. But before him I was completely on my own. My dad is also retired and volunteers to help in any way he can.
    It more of less falls to Assistant Principal of Activities. ASB chooses the assembly days, which have to be approved by the APoA. Anything from school events, to rehearsals, to school plays, to outside groups renting the theater have to be submitted to our district's civic permit site. Then it's evaluated by the Risk Management Office and then sent to the APoA for final approval. The VAPA dept submits their permits at the end of the previous school year, and school performance events take priority over anything else. This is something I really love my school for, in that they respect that shows and their sets and lights can't just be done and undone at a moment's notice.

As for who runs non-theater events, the orchestra teacher and I are the only adults knowledgeable about the space, and so we run the events with pay at our hourly teaching rate (basically, what you'd get paid if you subbed someone's class during your prep). He and I look at the civic calendar and decide between the two of us who will take which event. We also have a list of students who are endorsed by me as having taken the Technical Theater course and being a valuable player, who can work events and get paid for it. If the event only requires a "set-it and forget it" kind of tech, then he or I just handle it on our own. If the event requires lights and sound, etc, we obviously can't be two places at once, so we bring students in to work the event with pay.
    I don't have any tech support other than my two volunteers. 
    Contract teaching hours are 7:30am-2:40am. I count anything after 2:40pm on weekdays and any work on the weekends as out of contract work. The following is a combo of contract and out of contract hours: For non-show season weeks (August, part of Sept, Dec, & May) I work about 40-50 hours a week; rehearsal season I work 60-65 hours a week, during tech week and performance weeks I work anywhere from 65-75 hours a week. The most brutal week I ever had was about 90 hours. I do receive a stipend for both directing the actors and another one for all the technical work. These were recently increased, so the compensation right now is much more fair than in the past. In all, my stipends average out to roughly $10-20 an hour give or take depending on where we are in the show season and how involved each show is.

Rachel Snow
    Drama and Technical Theater Teacher
    Alhambra High School
    Alhambra CA

• 12.  RE: Drama/Tech Combo Teachers

Posted 11-03-2017 10:27
    5 classes/ 4 preps--2 English preps/ 2 Theatre preps
    I only teach an intro/survey course and and advanced course (focused on production) which contains costume design/construction, prop design/construction, acting, stage management.  My tech director/tech teacher(who is also an English teacher) teaches the stage craft class(which we must call applied English, because we focus on how the script comes to life in the form of a complete set)

Not so much specifically during class time/daytime, but when we move to an after school schedule(the kids can use the scheduled day class as a study hall--essentially swapping time) both myself and my tech director/stagecraft teacher are there.  For our musicals, I hire a choreographer, vocal director, pit orchestra director, sound engineer (who oversees a student who runs sound) and the school provides an auditorium manager who is there just basically to trouble shoot or provide headsets or other equipment that is auditorium specific.

4.  Who has the responsibility for scheduling and providing technical services for non-theatre events in your auditorium (Concerts, rentals, assemblies, etc)? We have a district auditorium manager who oversees our two high schools' auditoriums.  He also trains teachers on basic things like bringing in the projection screen or curtains and where to plug in microphones for assemblies or evening meetings in the auditorium.  He is only overseeing very large events in the auditoriums, rentals(not many as our auditorium is used so much) or district convocations, etc.
    Our technical staff is a mix of industry professionals (hired and overseen by myself or tech director when they are working with students) as well as former music teachers.
    6.  On average, how many hours do you average on a weekly basis for all of your responsibilities, paid and unpaid?  School day classroom time 10 hours, out of school supplemental work with students about 15-20  hours--it varies.  All paid, but the supplemental is a nominal amount when ever I break it down hourly as it is a set amount.

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH