Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Winter musical help!

Posted 07-29-2017 14:57
    Hello friends!

I am super excited to start next school year, but at loss for what our next musical should be. Let me give you some background about our program and my original plans that got destroyed by licensing!

Last year was an amazing year for my theatre program. In an unprecedented move, I teamed up with a Charter school that shares our school space. This alone was amazing. Prior to this teaming, the two schools were at constant odds. But the teaming was destined. I needed a musical director, they had one and she was amazing, my soul teaching sister. We embarked on an amazing show, "In the Heights." It was a no brainer. Our schools are located in Denver, a neighborhood that is going through Serious gentrification. With that being said, the cast was 90% Latino and 85% Bilingual. The show was perfect and very magical. 

In the end we were nominated for "Best Production" in  our state's High school theatre awards. It was an experience that may never be duplicated! 

This year I have most of the students returning. I have 4 strong male singers, one who is truly gifted and three amazing girls. My first instinct was Rent. It would have been a perfect show for my talent! I put in for the rights, only to have it "in process" for three months until they finally told me it was restricted. It is coming on tour to Denver 3 months before we want to put our "school version" on. So that was a no go!

While I was waiting for the word on Rent, I had the idea to try to get the rights to West Side Story, but he Bilingual version. It wasn't offered on the MTI site so I first wrote directly to licensing@leonardbernstein.com. The referred me to...MTI of course. I wrote a long email explaining how it would be important for our community to have a bilingual version. This was a dead end. They said the rights for the Bilingual version were not available.

Now I am at a loss. I do not know what show to put on. I have a talented group of kiddos and I want to do something important to our community and to them as individuals. Spring awakening is one of my thoughts, I would do a big service learning piece with it, but it would be very risky as the school has recently been faced with suicide and students dealing with sexual assault. I am always questioning what are my limits as an educator? Are exposing our kids to too much? Are we not talking enough about real issues? 

So there it is. Any suggestions for musicals or opinions on Spring Awakening would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Megen

------------------------------
    Megen Gilman
    Theatre Director
    Denver CO

• 2.  RE: Winter musical help!

Posted 07-30-2017 09:22
    How about NEXT TO NORMAL?

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Winter musical help!

Posted 07-31-2017 16:06
    You may have given up on this but with what you've described, I'd go back to MTI one more time and ask about West Side Story, explaining that you will not change the script at all ,but some of the lines may be said in Spanish. Your'e not asking for a re-write, it's just living in your world with their amazing script.  Am I crossing the line?  To take a 50 year old script and make it relevant to future generations can only be in their best interest.  That's what Bernstein and Sondheim did when they made Shakespeare's, Romeo and Juliet relevant to a generation in the 1960's.  If they don't see that, they've got their eyes on the wrong goal.  So there!  Shoot, forget them, try to email Sondheim!

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 4.  RE: Winter musical help!

Posted 07-31-2017 21:16

Next to Normal is a great show, but it's quite a small cast--unless there's some other version that allows for a chorus.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 5.  RE: Winter musical help!

Posted 07-30-2017 11:19

Hi! yes, kids love Spring Awakening but sometimes it's just too much for a district to want to sanction. There are so many other shows that a high school can, and should do, that <g class="gr_ gr_94 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" id="94" data-gr-id="94">are</g> just pure theatre, without those particular emotional strings. A few things come to mind for your casting: 
    Once On This Island
    Into the Woods
    Seussical
    The Addams Family
    Guys and Dolls
    Bye Bye Birdie
    Les Mis 

Best-

Amy Goldin
    COPA Inc.: College Options in the Performing Arts
    www.performingartsoptions.com
    516-674-6116

• 6.  RE: Winter musical help!

Posted 07-31-2017 07:19
    Have you considered Fame or Chorus Line? 

I hope you find just the right fit for your show!

Laura Beeman Nugent
    Theatre Teacher
    Loyola College Prep Troupe 6829
    Artistic Director
    Shreveport Little Theatre Academy
    Shreveport, LA

• 7.  RE: Winter musical help!

Posted 07-31-2017 08:58
    There is a new high school edition of A Chorus Line that looks pretty good, but it doesn't have a very large ensemble once you lose the eliminated dancers at the end of the first number.

Consider Urinetown! It's funny, satirical, and timely. Lots of roles, some flexibility to cross-gender cast if you need more girls, everyone has a name and lines. I directed it several years ago and am happy to answer any questions you have.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 8.  RE: Winter musical help!

Posted 08-01-2017 00:42
    Publishers have marketing reps all set and rest to sell you a new musical when you call and tell them what you are looking for.    They probably have a wonderful new musical they just published.   You might even get a world premiere.

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 9.  RE: Winter musical help!

Posted 08-01-2017 03:28

Hi Megen

First of all, congratulations on your success and on having such a wonderful casting pool!  Sounds like you are doing some great work right out of the gate.

When you mentioned West Side Story I thought of other classic musicals with Latino characters who are not often played by Latino actors. I'm wondering if you've considered doing Evita? Of course the original production featured Mandy Patinkin and Patty LuPone, but how much more exciting might it be to produce this musical about famous South American historical figures with an actual Latino cast?

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 10.  RE: Winter musical help!

Posted 08-01-2017 22:09
    I will try my best not to be long-winded, but I can make no promises.

I am the Theatre Department Director at a school in the Bronx that is exclusively Latino, African-American, and African. I am also the English Language Learners Program coordinator. This information is relevant because I serve a similar demographic to yours. I think you shouldn't dismiss the idea of producing West Side Story based on the premise that you won't have access to the Dual Language script. Whether or not a dual language version is available for you to license, I believe that West Side Story is a perfect vehicle for you to explore and celebrate your students' identities and abilities. I wouldn't even spend time or effort trying to secure a script that may not even be available for production. It isn't even necessary that some of the dialogue and lyrics be presented in Spanish. Latin American culture is so much more than language. It's also movement, dress, rhythm, art, etc. Use these aspects of their culture to connect the material to the students, and the story to the audience.

I saw the 2009 Broadway Revival of West Side Story. It incorporated Spanish, which is probably the version you're talking about. This was commissioned by Arthur Laurents himself. A high school Theatre Teacher, unfortunately does not have that clout. I'm not sure that the Spanish lyrics enhanced the show at all, which is why there wasn't a push to make a dual language version readily available for licensing.

Finally, I must caution that the worst thing you can be as a Director is literal. Students don't need characters to have the same tongue as them in order to speak the same language. Theatre Education is all about helping students develop and emotional language, and the great part about a well written script is that it will also help your students develop their verbal language. I have seen academic from my English Language Learners who participate in my Theater Department at rapid rates. This is an opportunity that presenting the show in its original form provides.

Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY