Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Masked outdoor theater

Posted 07-21-2021 03:15
    I'm thinking we are going to be forced to perform outdoors in masks next fall if we want to do any theater at all. 
    So in order to make lemonade out of plague infected lemons, anyone know a really good adaptation of a Greek or Roman play? 

• 2.  RE: Masked outdoor theater

Posted 07-21-2021 07:51
    I have an adaption of Oedipus that I'd be glad to share.  I did it in conjunction with Children of Antigone.  I can't remember which play house has it.  Together they are about 2 hours,

------------------------------
    Marie Miguel
    Chespeake, VA

• 3.  RE: Masked outdoor theater

Posted 07-22-2021 05:43
    I'd love to read your play. I can't figure out all the proper codes to respond to you privately. Typical huh? 

• 4.  RE: Masked outdoor theater

Posted 07-22-2021 07:51
    My email is thespisdionysus@gmail.com.  Please contact me directly and I'll send you the play.  Would love to have you read it!

Marie Miguel
    Chespeake, VA

• 5.  RE: Masked outdoor theater

Posted 07-22-2021 10:23
    Oh wow! How super frustrating for you. Ugh.
    We did Antigone Now by Melissa Cooper a few years ago and it went over really well.  Check out Playscripts, they have several modern day adaptations of Greek plays.

Good luck!

Jillian Lietzau
    Lutheran High School

• 6.  RE: Masked outdoor theater

Posted 07-22-2021 10:43
    OEDI, a one-act comedy licensed by Playscripts, has had several well-received high school productions.  This parody of OEDIPUS REX starts with the same story, but in this version, Oedipus' advisors try to help him find a way to "spin" the fact that he's married his mother, so he'll still be popular with the public.  You can read a long excerpt at Oedi by Rich Orloff
    Playscripts remove preview
    Oedi by Rich Orloff
    Playscripts has partnered with Broadway On Demand as our exclusive streaming platform partner. Whether you are streaming a recorded or a live production, ShowShare by Broadway On Demand gives you a secure and accessible platform to reach your audience. During the online licensing process, you will be asked if you are planning on streaming your production.
    View this on Playscripts >

Rich Orloff

• 7.  RE: Masked outdoor theater

Posted 07-22-2021 12:13
    Antigone, Now adapted by Meilssa Cooper (Playscripts) is great.  I am doing the same thing.

• 8.  RE: Masked outdoor theater

Posted 07-22-2021 14:20
    John, one of my favorite plays that I ever directed was Ian Johnston's translation of Euripides' Medea.  The version is available online, and Mr./Dr.? Johnston will send a Word copy upon request.  We printed our own scripts.  No royalties. 

I double-cast the main characters (because actors get sick) and divided the Messenger lines into two roles, then alternated casts while using the same Chorus for all performances.  We also were able to do some tweaking of the Chorus lines to make them rhythmically work with the movement the Chorus did to drumming.  I happened to have many more female students than male in that advanced class, so the show worked perfectly.  I see no reason why male students could play in the chorus of women, as all of the chorus members would have been male in Athens, and use of masks would help with that illusion.

We were able to present it multiple times during the school day because we had no royalty fees. 

http://johnstoi.web.viu.ca//euripides/medea.htm

CJ Breland
    Retired Theatre Arts Educator