Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Canned Music

Posted 04-11-2016 07:34

I'm using canned music for the first time in our spring musical.  Aside from back-up tech, is there anything else I should be aware of or precautions I should take to insure a smooth performance.  Thanks.

Rick Hite

Tarpon Springs High School

English I & II

Drama Club Sponsor

• 2.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 04-12-2016 07:34

Priority #1:
    What is your playback software/hardware? I've done multiple shows with recorded backing, and not had any problem, but I'm using Q-Lab on a fairly powerful Mac. When folks get into trouble is "I'm using my iPod!"

If you are using Q-Lab, be sure to bundle your workspace. (File>Bundle Workspace). This places the sound files in a devoted directory. Otherwise, Q-LAb makes links to wherever the files are. One accidental slip of the mouse,-Poof! No file.

Before EVERY performance: Rebooot computer. Run EACH cue through the system as it will be played.Just because it worked last night means nothing.

Also-one minor advantage of canned music: If you have performers who do not read music, you can give them time codes to rehearse with on their own. 

(Sally: you come in at 0:17. Bill: at the 1:25 mark, etc)

Scott
    (who started with sound back when we were cutting magnetic tape with a razor blade.)

------------------------------
    Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 3.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 04-12-2016 08:52

I have done several successful shows with this method.  In my opinion, the most important thing is to have a different sound file for every cue and clearly label everything and put it in order.  Even if the exact same sound effect or music comes up in two different times in the show, I've found that it's worth it to put it on the playlist twice.

I would also echo the previous advice about using a computer or other powerful and reliable sound equipment as tempting as it may be to use an ipod or a phone.  Depending on your tech set-up, you should be able to run the computer sound through your sound board.

Theresa Velazquez
    St Charles MO

• 4.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 04-12-2016 12:46

Don't run it from your phone.

Make sure you have the tracks downloaded to your computer, and not streaming them over wifi. If it has the potential to go wrong, it will.

Run the sound as close to how you will run it on performance night as early as you can in the rehearsal process. Fair enough individual tracks in early rehearsals to run it from a convenient phone/ipod/8-track player/grammophone, but have the playlist as described above from the previous posters (if tracks repeat, put them in the playlist twice, etc), and have a dedicated person running the playlist.

Will that person also be responsible for orchestrating the microphones? Are the performers mic'ed individually? Will someone else be doing that on the night? If it is the same person running the playlist, then you ought to have that set-up and running so your sound technician gets used to having to press play/adjust levels/mute or unmute mics and so on, because together it's a tricky act.

All learned through much trial and many, many errors. :) 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 04-12-2016 16:15

Getting the levels right is very important.  Have a few musical parents with good listening ears to check sound levels for you in dress rehearsals and during the show.  When the house fills up with people the sound levels can change.  If you can't hear the singers over the recorded accompaniment, you can fix it right during the show.  Better to solve the problem than to ruin the show.  Also, be sure to have stage monitor speakers so the singers can hear the music.  I have been music director on numerous shows with orchestra and tracks, and sound levels are important in both cases.  Break a leg, your show will be great!

Corinne Walker
    Lyon, France

• 6.  RE: Canned Music

Posted 04-13-2016 11:07

We've used canned music for our musicals, and the bonus is that it sounds the same every time. We use CDs which usually come with the rest of the production materials, but I would make several back-ups. You certainly don't want your only copy to get lost, broken, or scratched!

Also, I echo the sentiments of others to rehearse with the music often and to have certain people in the audience checking sound levels. It's easy to adjust mid-show if need be.

The music we use has both vocal and accompaniment tracks. Get the kids used to singing with just the accompaniment as soon as possible. Otherwise, they don't rely on themselves to learn the music, and when you start adding dialogue and choreography it can get overwhelming quickly. The more kids practice with just themselves, the better.

I'm sure your show will be great! Break a leg! 

Lynnea Hunter
    Theatre Faculty
    Johnson City Schools
    Johnson City TN