Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  January 16th

Posted 07-15-2015 10:24

I have. several times, entertained the idea of directing January 16th by Rand especially due to the diverse character work that is part of the work.  However, I have always put it on the back burner because I feel the script simply fizzles out.  The ending is pretty abrupt (in my interp) I was hoping someone had a different perspective or experience with this script.  I am working with some very advanced actors and would love to direct it at some point - however, I think my initial read clouded my thoughts overtime I re-read it. 

Help!

------------------------------
    David Valdes
    Director of Theatre
    St. Paul's School
    Concord NH

• 2.  RE: January 16th

Posted 07-16-2015 11:03

I've directed this play, and several things stand out. While it does indeed offer numerous solid character studies, they all appear one at a time (while testifying), so there is a ton of time your other actors are waiting around for their turn, once rehearsals reach the point where you need all on call. Also, the fun of it for the audience, waiting to see whodunnit, is awfully stale for the actors after weeks of rehearsal.  So, it was much more fun to perform than it was to rehearse.

Douglas Rome
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Fairfax County Public Schools
    Burke VA

• 3.  RE: January 16th

Posted 07-18-2015 13:56

This was the first full-length I directed, which worked well for my mixed-level class at the time.  I gave the Advanced and stronger students the leads.  Like you, the ending does leave a little to be desired, and if I had it to do over again, I might come up with a mini talk-back or a Q&A with the jury/audience, or something that made for a more satisfying conclusion.  It was well-received and the students enjoyed working on it, but it had been the school's first full-length drama.

Douglas does bring up good points about the minor characters, but this is true of so many shows I read--it's hard to find true ensemble pieces that fits all needs.  I had the "witnesses" sit in the audience during the show and come on stage when they were called to the witness stand.  It kept their minds engaged in the show and didn't give them too much time to goof around in the green room.  

If this is a classroom based production, during rehearsals there will be a lot of down time for many of them, though.  One thing I do for all productions is have the students work on dramaturgical research projects about the playwright, the real story this paralleled, etc. for lobby displays and helping educate the audience and actors about the world of the play.  Those minor characters could be more engaged with that to keep them busy.  If you are rehearsing strictly after school, just call them less frequently. 

When I did this show, the week of the show I lost three actors due to serious illness and state championships (two actors were athletes).  One student had to step up and play the doctor and the gangster both.  He really enjoyed the challenge of creating two completely different characters.  That could also be a consideration to help minimize the down time situation. If you decide to go forward, I can send you the dramaturgical rubrics if you're interested.  Have fun!

Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ

• 4.  RE: January 16th

Posted 07-19-2015 16:55

I love this show and directed once in college and once in high school. The show can get static, but most audiences really responded to it because it makes them think. I am glad there are two endings because some came back to see a different verdict. I made a little extra money by charging those who wanted to serve on the jury a $1 for a chance to be one of the twelve. My college cast really got into during intermission with members of the press interviewing the audience and an improv with the judge yelling at the lawyers about their clients. The character work was interesting and challenging for the actors. Good stuff for students who need to be challenged and those who are inexperienced too. 
    Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD