Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  QLab for Lighting?

Posted 06-10-2019 10:24
    Has anyone used the lighting control aspect of QLab? Pros/cons?

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 2.  RE: QLab for Lighting?

Posted 06-11-2019 08:19
    We have not used it for lighting but would also be interested in hearing the pros/cons. We have used it for video footage in addition to sound effects.

James Fry
    Director of Student Life and the Malvern Theatre Society
    Malvern, PA

• 3.  RE: QLab for Lighting?

Posted 06-11-2019 09:02
    I also put the question on Facebook. There's a thread at:  Technical Theater Educators if you want to follow it.

John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 4.  RE: QLab for Lighting?

Posted 06-12-2019 10:41
    I used it for my last show at my middle school, and the production Co I run with my husband also started using it last season. It's great. 

You will need a dmx-usb dongle. For a simple system, DMX king makes a super simple 3or 5 pin to USB that's about $20. For a bigger system- say where you're going both to a dimmer pack and out to fx fixtures, Entec makes a reliable multi-port dongle for about $200.

The trickiest part is getting your instruments set up -for one I had to edit a generic profile for an off brand LED par that didn't have an exact generic match. It took some trial and error, but was a great way to learn how the software works.  Once you get your instruments input, it is ridiculously easy. If you are used to using it for your sound cues, you'll pick it up fast.  

The free version limits you to, I think 16 channels, but that's certainly enough to play with to decide of you want to commit to the full version.

I had tried a free, windows-based program before (, and though the set up was easy, and the interface intuitive, it would randomly quit working. Qlab is dependable and has fantastic customer support.

Ashley Bishop
    Teacher
    Birmingham AL

• 5.  RE: QLab for Lighting?

Posted 06-13-2019 15:35
    We use it for setting up lights for our dance department. It works great for dance productions.

Here is a video my students made detailing how to network QLab to our ETC Ion Console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzj8zh5j8SM

Shaun Hennessy
    Drama Teacher
    Beaverton School District
    Portland OR