Open Forum

View Only

In need of musical suggestion

• 1.  In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-12-2017 07:04
    I am looking for a largish (20 or so) cast musical featuring a baritone/bass and an alto. So far I've only found Sweeney Todd and Urinetown, but I am anticipating a young cast as a large number of my participants will graduate this year and I'm not totally comfortable with a really young group -mostly freshmen-- doing either of these because I don't want to alienate them. I've thought about doing another show in addition to the big musical appropriate for their age level, and I probably will, but the main musical still needs to be accessible to them. (They are coming from a very good, but very protective 7-8 grade program).

Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPad

• 2.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-12-2017 10:58
    We just did Beauty and the Beast. Your baritone could be the Beast and your alto could be Belle. She's really not very high. You would still have to figure out Gaston. We were sold out every night (a first ever) and it brought in huge amounts of income from tickets. A lot of work but the kids were totally invested and loved doing it.

------------------------------
    Ray Karns
    Theatre Teacher
    Wakefield School
    The Plains VA

• 3.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-13-2017 08:42
    Hi there! If your two leads are very strong singer/actors then Parade (JRB) is a beautiful, challenging, super rewarding piece. Leo Frank is Bass/Baritone and while Lucille is technically mezzo, the top note is D#/Eflat and it's all mix/belt so I'm sure your alto would be fine. The subject matter is mature, but in a socially responsible way that educates. If your younger students buy in, it will feel like a huge honor, not alienating.

Good Luck!

Andrea Canevazzi
    Director/Choreographer, Pembroke High School
    Director/Choreographer, Plymouth South Middle School
    Choreographer, Family Performing Arts Center/Kidspot
    Massachusetts

• 4.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-14-2017 13:29
    Lots of great options suggested here. Have you considered Once on The Island (flexible casting opportunities) and/or 13-The Musical? Great shows for your needs IMO. Good luck!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 5.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-14-2017 13:30
    Sorry, Once on THIS Island!

Garry Tiller
    Theatre Arts Teaching Artist
    Hawaii Independent Schools
    Honolulu, HI

• 6.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-15-2017 14:14
    Consider older shows like Annie Get Your Gun or Kiss Me Kate. Then male leads are all baritones and the female leads are usually mezzos. So if your alto has a good range can probably sing the role. Or you could have your alto sing second lead like in Guys and Dolls.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 7.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-16-2017 16:32
    HONK! No one needs to have a gorgeous voice and some songs can be "singtalk". My cast loved it and has requested to do it again! 

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 8.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-15-2017 22:12
    Addams Family... big cast... Gomez = baritone... Moritcia = alto/mezzo

[Ron] [Gingerich]
    [Drama Teacher]
    [Phoenix] [AZ]

• 9.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-16-2017 08:23
    Take a look at DO YOU WANNA DANCE?  It's a new musical at MTI that's really fun and designed for your situation.  Lots of chorus numbers for participation.  There's also an accompaniment track that our kids really liked.

Mark Brymer
    Principle
    Jukebox Musicals LLC
    Dallas TX

• 10.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-17-2017 16:52
    Don't discount Urinetown! The alto female has to be really strong, and I think you need a tenor for Bobby Strong. But it absolutely won't alienate your kids. I did it my first year at this school and the kids looked at my like I was crazy when I announced it, but they loved it when we got going. They loved the humor and all the references to other musicals.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 11.  RE: In need of musical suggestion

Posted 04-17-2017 20:58
    I'd put a vote in for The Addams Family...we just did it at our high school and the students had a great time and the audience loved it.  On "paper" it has a cast of 20.....10 that are the main characters & support (basically, the Addams Family members and then the boyfriend and his parents) and then 10 "dead ancestors" make up the ensemble.  But you can expand that number to what works for you.  The thing I liked about this ensemble is that they aren't just a faceless mob...each ancestor is a different and unique member (well, former member!) of the family and they can come up with their own quirky character traits.  We had 23 in our ensemble.  15 "singing" ancestors and then 8 "dancing" ancestors.  Some numbers the entire ensemble learned the dancing/movement and in <g class="gr_ gr_1082 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="1082" data-gr-id="1082">some</g> we went strictly with the dancing ancestors.

Lynda Gibson
    Jr. Troupe 88305
    Flushing MI