Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 01-30-2018 06:33

Okay all you people I'm so jealous of, owning your own theaters and performing spaces...here's one to stew on and help with...I teach at a small school where our stage is in the cafeteria.  The fun starts there.  It's a K-12 school, so we share the space for everything.  We have chapel for two of the levels every Wednesday, with the musicians and speakers meeting onstage, so any set I have, I have to break down on Tuesday afternoons and put back up on Thursday mornings.  My backstage space is small, of course.  I know I'm fortunate to have a stage, as many don't, but my brain thinks in a bigger world.

I have numerous flats I paint and reuse, a backdrop lift I purchased to rent backdrops for, a UIL set, and I know the whole periaktoi deal.  My question is, do you or do you know any theatre teachers who are able to build amazing sets within the same kind of situation?  I struggle with set design and creating different worlds aside from using backdrops, flats and periaktoi when I have to build things that push behind the curtains and break apart.  Thanks for any ideas, tips or contacts!

------------------------------
    Lana Thompson
    Sugarland TX

• 2.  RE: Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 01-31-2018 02:03
    Those are tough constraints.  Depending on the size of the space, and what shows you want to put on, it can be difficult to imagine an overly realistic set.  But, you should be able to do a lot of less realistic sets.

Here are some options I would consider when faced with those constraints:
    • Wheeled wagons/items with brakes: moving set pieces that are meant to go on and offstage
    • Use of blocks, in different shapes and sizes.  We're building a couple triangular and rectangular prisms for a show right now that will be used as movable, and multi-use scenery
    • Shorter platforms can be weighted down and held together in non-permanent ways.  We couldn't screw down into the floor with a space we were in, and had limited time to load in.  We clamped the platforms together, and weighted them down with sandbags on the cross bracing.
    • Ground row.  Even adding a ground row will add dimension.  This could be a traditional ground row, or some other type of wall or fencing that fits with the show
    • Use of non-traditional objects and furniture.  We used a prepared piano onstage in Hamlet.  It was both a piece of scenery, and an instrument that created a unique world.
    • Hanging scenery.  You mentioned curtains, and perhaps there's a way to hang scenery that could come down from the ceiling.  Even if you don't have a rigging system, you can use objects that collapse when retracted, or pivot down into place
    • Lighting/gobos.  Multiple colors can be useful for shaping, and building a world.  Gobos can add that extra texture to help spruce up a location without taking up much space at all

Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 01-31-2018 08:01
      |   view attached
    Hello, 

This is definetly a unique situation, but I think its a great opportunity to be extra creative! It seems like you have some great options with the ideas you have used in the past.  You could think of your sets in a touring show style where everything you create is collapsible. I tour managed a show (it was a touring childrens opera) that the set was design to literally fold down to a 4x4 square and about 6ft tall. It basically unfolded a few times and had some great things that you added to it and unfolded inside to finish it each time. You might be able to use hinges to your advantage if your set can fold out of the way. 

Projections could add a flare that don't take up any room. It could add quite a bit of fun imagery and you don't have to move anything! You could even go as far as taking your flats and walls you already work with and project on them so that you could move them around, but still have a new look. 

I don't know what your over head situation is, in terms of if there is space to hide anything but Rosebrand now sells a DMX controlled scenery lifte for different weights. Its from a single point and could be a great way to have some different scenery and a new way to get it into and out of your space. 

Can you paint your space? That could be a way to transform it without being in the way. Like the floor? I also did a show where I painted the floor and installed side panels to add some backstage depth and painted those like creating my own procenium arch. I attached a picture that shows the floor. I can't find one that is the entire set, but the walls were large framed pieces out of muslin that we then just used the in house projector and Qlab to project directly on them to create different looks. The top was cut off by a curtain, but otherwise it worked well. 

Being a small space is hard. But when I have worked in spaces like that, it really made me think creatively and open my mind to trying to ways to do things. It sounds like you are doing some great work and have gotten some things to make your space even better.  Sharing a space is annoying, I remember doing it at my first school. I shared with the cafeteria, weekly meetings and chapel and then at one point the wrestling team joined the room with all the mats. It was a scheduling nightmare. 

It sounds like what you are doing is great, and that I totally understand feeling like your getting stuck. I think if you use the touring set motto, that might help open up your thoughts even more.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    www.techiegreenroom.com

• 4.  RE: Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 01-31-2018 14:06
    15 years. Bingo every Wednesday night, even in show week. It started as a converted Gym. We installed a lighting grid in year 5 (no more light trees.) Then we added walk along track curtains, walled up the old cafetorium stage to create a tech booth, and put in dark flooring in year 12.

For all the headache of moving the set in and out every week, it was a 60' by 72' blackbox and still one of my favorite pieces of real estate. I have built sets that tour to the ally and back for 30 shows. We only had standard double doors.

My advice:
    - platforms are all constructed to stand free, either 6 or 8 legs.
    - purchase 5" C-clamps to put the platforms together each week, the biggest challenge is leveling them, one person under one person on top.
    - the platforms should be offset, one portrait next to two landscape, like Lego. This reduces shifting significantly. 
    - I used unit sets and projections for a number of shows to reduce the crazy.
    -Yes, wagons.

Here is a time lapse of a load in for our Spring 2016 musical Love's Labour's Lost.

Best Wishes 

Brian Bozanich
    Director of Theatre
    Maumee Valley Country Day School
    Toledo OH

• 5.  RE: Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 01-31-2018 15:53
    Try hanging and draping fabrics. I have seen some stunning environments created just with the use of sheer and opaque fabrics, and lighting.
    Another idea: build a series of cubes, say, 18" square and 24" square. Leave one side open, and paint them all black. They will become whatever you want them to become. In the past, we've painted ours to look like building blocks, trees...you name it.

Nancy L. Bernhard
    retired

• 6.  RE: Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 02-01-2018 10:41
    ​Good morning,

Wow...such great ideas. I had a similar situation and we essentially designed the set and built it in a modular fashion and secured it with c-clamps. We could set it up and take it down in 30mins.

Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School

• 7.  RE: Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 02-02-2018 17:00
    The OP presents a good question, but there's a huge difference between "a set" and "pieces of scenery."

The best "set" I've ever seen was at the Royal Shakespeare Company's theater in Stratford-on-Avon one Summer when they were doing the four Henry plays in rotating rep. Now here's a company with an international reputation, deep pockets, and all the artistic support they want, and they chose to do all four plays on the same "set:" a bare stage that stretched to the back wall of the theater. No drops, no masking, no legs, no borders. But when those actors came on in their gorgeous costumes and makeup and started telling us their stories, we were grabbed and shaken. I was still shaken two weeks later.That wasn't just the best "set:" that was the best piece of "theater" I've ever seen.

Years later, at the Folger Shakespeare Library in Washington DC, I saw a production of "The Merchant of Venice" in which the set was just a series of tapestries which flew in and out in various configurations. Not a flat in sight.

The London production of "The Woman in Black," which has been running for over 25 years, has little more than a scrim just behind the proscenium opening. Behind it are a few well-chosen pieces of stock scenery, like a practical door, and various pieces of furniture. This works really well because the story takes place in an empty theater, but it would have been so easy to get carried away with this one.

The original design by Howard Bay for "Man of La Mancha" was relatively simple and didn't use a single flat, stock platform, wagon, revolve, or any of the usual choices. It rocked. Later productions have introduced levels, ramps, doorways, windows, and, for all know, the kitchen sink. And lots of flats. Many of them didn't rock. 

There are many more examples. Whenever possible, I tend to avoid using stock scenery as much as I can, just to keep things fresh. You can see some samples on my web site at the link below, and read about how a lot of us approach set design on my blog, also linked below.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 8.  RE: Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 02-03-2018 17:07
    I too saw a production at RSC (Richard III) where the "set" in their black box theatre consisted of primarily ropes hanging down from the grid above the stage.  Actors would often times enter or exit via these ropes!

When you have no, or a minimal, set, good lighting can portray location, time of day, mood and so on ....

Beth Rand, EBMS
    High School Theatre Operations Coach
    Lighting Designer

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Spring Session starts March 5th.

NEW SERVICE: REP PLOT DESIGN - Never have to re-hang and re-focus all your lights again! (Can be accomplished remotely if you're not in the Boulder/Denver area.)

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon and also at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

• 9.  RE: Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 02-04-2018 14:57
    Thanks for posting that, Beth. Given the RSC's passion for "good theatre," I can just imagine what they probably did with it. I can picture the ropes being used as entrances and exits by varying the lighting, I can see the rough textures used to set up moods, and I can see shadows -- all kids of shadows -- cast by the ropes. I can even imagine the ropes and some of the costumes mirroring each other in a few cases.

I think that we sometimes tend to forget that live theatre is not like the movies. A movie set has to be "realistic," whether it's a house, a castle, a spaceship, or whatever. It has to look like it is whatever it's supposed to be. But a theatre set's job is to convey an impression of the place, time, mood, and genre of the story. That's why a set like the one you described (when done thoughtfully and with total regard for the story) can help create such an awesome experience for the audience.

George F. Ledo
    Set designer
    www.setdesignandtech.wordpress.com
    www.georgefledo.net
    http://astore.amazon.com/sdtbookstore-20

• 10.  RE: Set design in most unfortunate situations

Posted 02-05-2018 14:29

about theatre sets not being the movies: yes yes YES!!! It is so hard to get students (Heck, and some adults) to look beyond the literal!  

One of my favorite sets in high school was just a GIANT parachute that had been hung from multiple points to look like snowy mountains. Very cool, fun to light. 

Re: Painting  - you can also use drop cloths to do some nifty painted and/or texture effects on the floors and platforms that can be moved easily and won't damage your floor. 

Carved foam can also be a great way to create massive but easily movable pieces. 

Ashley Bishop
    Director
    Birmingham AL