Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Troupe Initiation - Deceased Student

Posted 04-20-2018 09:18
    Earlier this spring our department experienced a terrible tragedy when one of our students was suddenly killed in a car accident. It has been a tough semester for all of us. My troupe secretary brought to my attention that the student had earned enough points to be inducted into our troupe this spring and my student leadership team is adamant that she be awarded this honor, even if it is posthumously. Has anyone ever had this happen? How did you handle it? Their biggest argument - and one that I totally agree with - is that she was a person, and she was involved with our department, and they want her name on our register because of that. They also said they wanted her technically registered for the same reason. 

I totally agree with them, but at the risk of being "dramatic" I'm not exactly sure it is appropriate? We dedicated our spring show to her memory so we have publicly aknowledged the loss. Do we just have a family member sign her name on our roster if we do? It is prominently displayed in our lobby. Also not sure about the official rules. Thoughts? 

Thanks for any feedback. 

• 2.  RE: Troupe Initiation - Deceased Student

Posted 04-20-2018 10:44
    I am so sorry for your loss!  Loosing a student is incredibly hard and walking that journey with their friends is so incredibly important. For that reason alone, I would induct them as a member of your Troupe.  The student earned that honor and should be given that honor.  

In one span of my career I lost 7 students in 4 years.  The thing I learned is that kids need something tangible to help them grieve and grow.  Going through the induction, having that memory and having that small memorial of the name in the lobby can help.

------------------------------
    Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 3.  RE: Troupe Initiation - Deceased Student

Posted 04-20-2018 10:59
    I'm so sorry. It's a terrible blow when a student is lost. I would confirm with your administration that there are no school rules on the subject and then, if allowed, award all the appropriate honors to the family of the student - but check with the family before you do. I would imagine that they would want the recognition of their child but you need to give them the option. If the parents or siblings are open to signing the membership roll, have one of them do it. If not, and they are okay with it, have your I.T.S. president sign on behalf of the student.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Troupe Initiation - Deceased Student

Posted 04-20-2018 16:19
    I agree with everyone else. As long as school policies do not dictate otherwise, move forward with the induction. My school has given diplomas to families of students who died during their senior year. As a theatre teacher and school counselor, this event can help students and family through the grieving process by recognizing her accomplishments while here and also showing that her legacy will continue through her membership in the organization.

Scott Wilson
    School Counselor
    Columbus City Schools
    Columbus OH

• 5.  RE: Troupe Initiation - Deceased Student

Posted 04-20-2018 17:38
    Condolences to the student's family and school community on your loss.

The student met all eligibility requirements, so it is perfectly acceptable to induct her into the International Thespian Society in memoriam. We suggest you consult the school administration and family first.

If you decide to do so, just induct her using the online system as you would any other student, but follow up with an email to members@schooltheatre.org to explain the circumstances. After our National Office service center team prints and sends her induction materials to you, we will make the necessary changes to her record, including moving her from your active roster to your alumni list. A top concern of ours is what to do with the student's print subscription to Dramatics magazine. Normally, we would cancel the subscription unless the family specifically asks to receive it.

If you plan to have an induction ceremony, I'm aware of cases where the memorial induction was included in the general ceremony with other students and other cases where a separate memorial induction ceremony was held. In the latter case, there were some concerns over the effect the memorial would have over the larger celebration and and vice versa. Either option is acceptable.

Brian Benz
    Membership Manager
    Educational Theatre Association

• 6.  RE: Troupe Initiation - Deceased Student

Posted 04-21-2018 19:57
    We had something similar happen 2 years ago. The student had paid her induction fee, but because of craziness that happened at the end of the year, our inductions were postponed until the beginning of the next school year.  Unfortunately she died following complications from surgery over the summer. When they had her memorial at the school following her death, our president presented her family with her own pen, and I replaced it that fall. I added our deceased student's name posthumously on our roster.

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV