Open Forum

View Only

Getting classes to act

• 1.  Getting classes to act

Posted 02-05-2018 14:25
    I'm in a bind. I have 1 class in particular that will NOT act. It's a class of only 16, and at least 12 of them do NOT want to be in this class. I'm used to having the 3 or 4 that don't want to get on stage, but this is ridiculous. They're supposed to be working on duet scenes right now (I only make them act 3 times in theatre 1; monologues, duet scenes and improv/pantomime, the rest is theatre history, technical theatre and other misc. info.). Phone calls home don't work, writing them up doesn't work, getting Fs doesn't work. They don't care! I don't want to punish the 4 of them who are actually rehearsing by doing only worksheets and bookwork, but that seems to be the only path I can take. They don't even want to play theatre games and such. If I show a play or musical? They don't watch. If we read a script? No one wants to read. If I assign paperwork? I get less than half on time, and then a couple straglers the week before final grades. I'm at my wits end with them!!  Do you just get THAT class sometimes? Please tell me I'm not losing my mind.

How do I make them care? I don't want them to fail. I keep giving them opportunity after opportunity but nothing seems to make them care.

------------------------------
    Heather Cribbs
    Theatre Director
    New Smyrna Beach High School
    New Smyrna Beach, FL

• 2.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 07:52
    If you get the answer to "how to make them care," please let me know. I have three Drama I classes that are 18, 23, and 24 students full (out of 32 chairs I have for them to sit in) and roughly 97% (a guess) were put in there because they had nowhere else they could be put. I have tried everything short of just letting them sit there on their phones and do nothing all day (which is NOT going to happen), to get them interested; it's a no go. So, I keep moving, hoping that maybe that day will be the day I teach them something to sparks an interest. 

As for making them do something on stage...I decided to try giving everyone the option to submit videos of their performances. It's not a perfect system, but it has been fairly successful. I make it clear, though, that you get extra points for performing live. 

I hope this helps. 

Jared Wright
    Thomaston GA

• 3.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 08:31
    I'm in the same boat.  I don't even try to do more than student-written scripts in Theater 1 anymore. But in Theater 2-4 I want students who want to be there, but I keep getting kids who "want an easy A." They don't care about theater and it's a fight to get them to do even in class activities. So if anyone has a solution to this problem, I would welcome it.

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV

• 4.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 08:51
    Would they be interested in creating their own work? Someone else on this forum recommended Jessica Swale's Drama Games for Devising book to me, and it has some fun ideas in it to help build up to creating original pieces. Maybe they'd like working on something that they made, that focuses on ideas that interest them?

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 09:15
    Heather -

Oh lordy - that's not fun at all. Currently, I am teaching 5th - 8th graders with 97 students spread across four classes. Last year I had this issue with one of my classes. They didn't sign up for my class. They didn't want to be there. And, for a small number of students in the class who wanted to be there, it was miserable. 

Here's what I suggest for you. Go to your assistant principal with the situation. The two of you figure out a strategy. I'd ask your administrator to pull these students and put them in "In School Suspension" just for your class. Give them work to do with the understanding that their time in ISS will cease when they are ready to be active participants in your class. The admin needs to play hard ball. The students who really want to learn should not have their learning environment destroyed. Not healthy for you or your students. 

With these students, set goals and expectations - the first of which should be respect for you and their fellow classmates. 

Just my thoughts -

Darren

Darren Butler
    Theatre Teacher
    Florence City Schools
    Florence AL

• 6.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 09:19
    I feel your pain!  One of my theatre I sections is half kids who don't care.  The other half are great and love to work.  I have tried to motivate and support them.  I've tried to reason with them, go over grades and graduation requirements.  I've tried to show them tough love by allowing them to "fail" so they can see that performances and tests in this class are serious.  
    It's really difficult to be in a class with such ambivalent kids when I'm so passionate about what I do.  I am searching for what's important to them (aside from the phone that's glued in their hand), I try to talk with them, make jokes, connect...but when it comes to rehearsing, the only thing they hear is "free time".  
    For this year, I will focus on the half of the class that in participating and learning, and doing an incredible job!  I do a LOT of group work, so I try to slip one of the "non-workers"  into each of the "worker" groups.  Everyone always gets an individual grade for their work, but I'm hoping that being around students who do care will help encourage the ones who don't care to start putting forth some more effort.  
    I'm getting REALLY mixed results.  
    So, I don't think you're going crazy.  I do think that some kids just don't want to participate, which is SO SAD to me!  Please stay strong and know that you're a GREAT teacher who has so much to offer.  We're right there with you!

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 7.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 10:04
    I know this one. No, you are not going insane, (yet). My approach is incremental. I start with a lot of warm-up type games, and intersect the academic (i.e: Theatre History) with easy fun performance (teach a some fight routines, then reenact the battle from the Abydos Passion, complete with screams of agony from the defeated). That breaks the ice about being onstage pretty well.
    So the boring bits relate directly to the fun bits; training the students to do the boring bits so they have the skill to do the fun bits well.

Seems to work. This year, anyway...

JIm Gunn
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Madera High School
    Madera CA

• 8.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 10:15
    I've taught Drama forever...I currently have 3 beginning theatre classes with 38 kids each...
    My advanced classes are by invitation, so important to get your counselors onboard if you can.
    we all get kids in Drama 1 that don't want to be there. It can  sometimes be solved by creating games and activities that sort of suck them in. We do student of the week with stickers and snacks. A big hit with many has been recycled costumes. Teams of 3 creating out of trash bags, foil, egg cartons.,, Or clowning, with real clown noses.. we do warmups everyday onh stage.. They've learned alot from my "old" music... love Queen... Will ask questions, and toss rewards. Try minimal sitting in desks... Keep it active. Sometimes the worst kid will come around.

Ginger Latimer
    Performing Arts Chair/ Theatre Director
    Madera CA

• 9.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 10:23
    ​I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I am also having this issue in my Advanced class. I have tried having them write scripts - half didn't finish them. I have tried having them learn tech design - only three turned in the project. I have tried giving them scenes to work on - they were lackluster and boring. I tried letting them choose scenes - same result. Recently they performed monologues - four or five of them didn't have them fully memorized. They tell me to my face that my class isn't really important for college, so they have to concentrate on their other classes. However, if I give them class time to work on something, they spend it chatting and trying to use phones. Docking points on participation doesn't faze them. To say I'm frustrated with them is a minimalist response.
    All I can say for all of us is keep trying. Somehow we will let them know that doing their best always will get them where they want to be in life.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 10.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 11:13
    What a problem! I really like Darren's idea of going to admin to get some help. What does the course description of your class say in your district handbook? Does it specify the performance element? If it does I'd keep giving F's to the ones who won't work and focus on the few who do. It may take a year or two to get into the school culture that your class isn't just a show up and pass, but it should stave off problems in the long run... especially if a few seniors end up not graduating or having to retake the class in order to. Not much fun for this year but effective. I had that happen about 7 years ago and a kid ended up not walking because of my class and had to attend summer school and now I have some seniors who are retaking classes from freshman year to fix their transcripts.

You can't force the kids to work or care. Instead of focusing on them focus on the ones who are trying and let the rest fail. Just make sure you have a paper trail to admin detailing your problems and attempted solutions to support the reason for the large scale failure rate.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 11.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 12:42
      |   view attached

I have been there!  I had a couple of years when students were just tossed into my Theatre I classes, and it was miserable.

I agree that some discussion with the counselors and your principal needs to happen.  Maybe right now you could ask to have someone drop in for quick observations whenever they pass your room.  Telling the class, "Mr. X stopped by to watch you students, not me" can prompt some behavior change. 

Here are a few things you might try.

It is too late to start off with community building games that gradually add in improv.  You might try it, but that probably needs to wait for the next set of classes.  I am attaching my beginning games list.  I've collected them over the years and made up a few from scratch.  I give a daily grade each day for participating in these--credit or no credit, depending on whether they do all the activities.

The second week, I assign them numbers, and that is the way we call roll every day.  Super simple, but it focuses them and makes them exert peer control over the ones who are not paying attention, because who wants to keep starting over time and time again until everyone is listening and responding?

We do very short scenes, not memorized, but briefly rehearsed, from each historical period.  I give out the parts, and friends have to earn the privilege to work together by showing that they can work with other classmates first.  I praise any duo or group who goes beyond simply reading, and I offer hints to those reluctant students while they are rehearsing.  Sometimes I give a student a particularly cool prop that is appropriate for the scene.

I have Theatre I students write an objective-driven monologue based on an actual conflict from their own lives--disguising names, of course.  They write it, read it, get comments from me, then revise and memorize it.  That is the favorite assignment for some troubled students.

I give guided viewing worksheets for plays we see on film so they can fill in the answers as they watch.  And I always include questions like "Who was your favorite character?  Why?" and "What was your favorite scene?  Why?"  (No credit for "I didn't like anybody.")  Some of the kids who find theatre class absolutely worthless have never seen a show, or at least a good show.

Because so many Theatre I students are in 9th grade, I do the GPA explanation and math lesson early on.  Some of them really have no idea how much blowing off and failing a class will hurt them in the long run.

I set very clear expectations and detail where the grades will come from on my syllabus that I hand out the second day of class.  And I hold to it.  Sometimes students fail.  Sometimes quite a few students fail.  And I take that information to the counselors and principal to argue that students not be placed in my class unless they sign up for it.

Last, I start every single class as if we had a terrific day the day before.  Sometimes my annoying optimism wears them down.

Good luck!  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Beginning Games .pdf   93 KB 1 version

• 12.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-06-2018 20:24
    I wish I knew what to tell you.

Except that teachers teach because they are compelled to help other people, but its that same love that makes our hearts break when they are this way

I have taught for 10 years, in suburban schools  from all different S.E.S. groups, I also taught at a very poor school in Madrid in 2009 and 2010... I have taught  2nd grade thru high school....

and this year is my hardest year yet. your post is as if you are describing my classroom.

I want you to know that you are not alone, and that it isn't your fault.

Marisa Visser
    Theatre Director
    Irving TX

• 13.  RE: Getting classes to act

Posted 02-08-2018 09:50
    This is so tough and such a bummer to deal with.

Something that has really helped me is starting each class the same way. I ask a creative roll call question that each person HAS to answer individually (with something other than "I don't know"), and then we do warm-ups together in a circle. They know what to expect and are ready to start the same way every class period. When I don't do a roll question they often miss it. To them, it's delaying class "really" starting, but to me it's all of us connecting and sharing with each other to bond and commiserate. It really helps them open up for other activities, as we do improv about three weeks into the semester after an auditorium tour/scavenger hunt and theatre terminology unit. 

Another thing that seems to work is letting them choose scenes/monologues from favorite movies or TV shows. In my upper-level classes the scenes are usually required to be from plays, but in Intro to Drama the students are often more open to performing things they already know and like. 

My two cents! Hope this helps a little bit.

Kate Willers
    Drama Director
    Littleton CO