Open Forum

View Only

Children's show

• 1.  Children's show

Posted 09-24-2016 09:42
    I feel like I have read 1000 scripts. I need a show for my high school kids to do that they perform for all my area elementary school kids. We do this every year. I have these weird requirements so that is why I can't find something
    1. Something little kids will like and recognize
    2. 35-60 mins in length. I can cut some if necessary.
    3. Cast size of around 20.
    4. Not a musical if possible. We did MTI Disney Jr Jungle Book last year and I like to switch between a musical and non-musical each year.
    5. Can't be the shows we did recently- jungle book, Aladdin, Alice in wonderland.
    Any suggestions theatre world??????? THANKS!!!!!!

• 2.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 05:51

Dear Edwina Jr from MTI is a perfect show for kids or for a developing Theatre group.  It's an off-Broadway performed by six actors but very flexible - we used a cast of about 24 & had  so much fun doing it!  It's about a neighborhood girl who puts on shows in her yard by giving advice from letters written to her from kids. The advice given in the songs include how to set a table, how to put up with your brother, good manners, trying new foods, etc - very cute & clever songs. It can be as simple or as elaborate as you want. Simple set - in Edwina's  yard and is a show within a show. Check it out at dearedwina.com 

If you're interested in pics, I can send some. 

------------------------------
    Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 3.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 06:04

A couple of my favorites that are "fractured" fairy tales.

Once Upon a Wolf by Steph DeFerie

Once Upon a Wolf

Law & Order: Fairy Tale Unit by Jonathan Rand (Yes, I think it is the Michigan Chillers author) Law & Order: Fairy Tale Unit}

Lynda Gibson
    Jr. Troupe 88305
    Flushing MI

• 4.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 08:06

I know how you feel!  We produce children's shows and it is hard to find pieces that the schools will know and that will be interesting to your kids!

Some of our past shows include:

James and the Giant Peach

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever

The Emperor's New Clothes (the kids LOVED all of the costume changes!)

Nonie's Masterpiece in Purple 

Gary Grinkle's Battles with Wrinkles - really good for K-2

We are presently rehearsing, Miss Nelson is Missing.

I wish you the best of luck in finding shows...feel free to share titles with the rest of us...we are always looking!  

My best!

Carolyn 

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Kentucky Thespian Society
    Owensboro KY

• 5.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 09:09

Look at The Glass Slipper published by Pioneer.  I did it at high school level.  Added preshow with cat and mice and cool dance music for ball.  Also used Commedia as my acting inspiration. It was very successful and fun.

Marcie Berglund
    Play Coach (Musical and One Act)
    Cottage Grove MN

• 6.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 10:04

I have a version of Pinnochio that is written in Commedia style.  I've directed it twice, and I love it.  You won't find it published, but I can get you in contact with the playwright.  I can't remember the exact number of actors needed, but I could check if you are interested.  I can be reached at dlandis@blakeschool.org.  

Diane Landis
    Theatre Faculty
    Minneapolis MN

• 7.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 10:34

Hi Melissa, 

I would suggest scripting some of their favorite children's books.  Robert Munsch has already done this with some of his books and he is very generous at giving permission to perform his books.  If you would like, I have scripted 5 of his books you can use.  It is nice when you script it yourself because you can easily visualize how to bring it to life.

Another show I would suggest is Magic Theater.  Though they may not have heard of it, they will enjoy it.  Plus you can play on the concept of magic.

One year, I was asked to perform stories that the kids wrote themselves.  That was very special for them to see their own works come to life.  I limited how many they could submit to me and then brought to life those that spoke to me.  

Hope this sparks some ideas.

Vickie Fuller
    Yardley PA

• 8.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 10:56

We did the musical version of this story.  I see there is a staight play version   In prep for the play we passed out to our elementary kids "coloring book" pages with a dress outline for the kids to create a dress drawing. In the final scene the kids drawings were displayed hanging from a clothes line. This is an emotional story about bullying and guilt and friendship.  

http://www.dramaticpublishing.com/p4017/The-Hundred-Dresses/product_info.html

Bob Sedoff
    Board member Mn chapter EdTA
    Sedoff, Inc.
    Edina High School.
    Edina MN

• 9.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 11:15

Try a play called Patchwork, a medley of short stories, multiple lessons on understanding human nature, growing up, and the world. It can be tailored to any time frame, minimal set or not. Each scene is represented by a square on the quilt-like blanket, that is walked over the audience at the end. 

Barbara Barkemeyer
    Huntington Beach CA

• 10.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 13:12

My personal favorite is "The Poet and the Rent" by David Mamet. It's very cute with a lot of asides to the audience and moments for the kids to shout back to the actors. I've done it with high school and middle school students and have gotten great responses from both. I did have to cut it originally to get it down to 30 minutes, but I know it wasn't hard to do.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose CA

• 11.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 14:41

As a former teacher, director who did tons of costumes, I think having students learn to properly measure the body is essential. This is a good one day activity. Lots of rental places have measurement sheets and instructions you can print off. My favorites are at costumeworld.com .

• 12.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 18:07

I started an after school elementary program many years ago. Two very successful shows were Charlotte's Web and Aesop's (Oh so Slightly) Updated Fables  

Aesop's (Oh So Slightly) Updated Fables

Aesop's is completely expandable.

Samuelfrench remove preview
    Aesop's (Oh So Slightly) Updated Fables
    This short play, performed for and with kids, weaves five of Aesop's most famous fables into a show that's fun, fast-paced, and full of surprises.Contains: The Dog and the Bone; The Tortoise and the Hare; The Lion and the Mouse; The Fox and the Grapes; The Miller, His Son And the Donke...
    View this on Samuelfrench >

Charlotte's Web.  I had three different Wilburs and three different Charlottes.  There is a narration part that I expanded to 10 roles. 

Dramaticpublishing remove preview
    Charlotte's Web
    The Children's Literature Association named this 'the best American children's book of the past two hundred years,' and Joseph Robinette, working with the advice of E.B. White, has created a play that captures this work in a thrilling and utterly practical theatrical presentation.
    View this on Dramaticpublishing >

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 13.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 18:36

I can't help but throw this one out. It is a musical, so file it away if you need to do a straight play. It's from Theatrical Rights Worldwide and the running time is under an hour. It's called How I Became a Pirate and it is based on a popular kids book. I LOVE this little piece. I judged the one act play competition for the state of TN several years ago and it was the winner. It stole our hearts and I can't say enough good things about it. There are other good short pieces available through Theatrical Rights and they are so easy to work with. I encourage you to get a perusal of this show. I loved it!

Donnie Bryan
    Department Chair for Visual and Performing Arts
    Nashville TN

• 14.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 21:15

Count this as another vote for Once Upon A Wolf.  We did it last year and took did it for Elementary Groups.  Performed it in the round using a large box that held some props ( and Little Red) and four smaller boxes.  Thanks for asking the question. I can't wait to look up some of these suggestions.

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 15.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-25-2016 23:41

If you need another suggestion, I have worked twice on Tim Kelly's adaptation of Robin Hood (available through Pioneer Drama), and it has been a big crowd pleaser both times. Runs about 60 minutes with a nice sized cast that can be padded with as many extras as you like.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 16.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-26-2016 08:41

Hi Melissa,

Two more suggestions for you. Bod, Not Buddy which is taught in many elementary schools is available from dramatics.  It would have to be trimmed but there are some natural breaks in the piece that would make that process easy.  Another choice I would highly recommend is The Fabulous Fable Factory also available through dramatics.  This is extremely fun and can be done as a musical or a play.  Both ways are great.   It is another retelling of Aesop's fables but this time with an underlying message that speaks to an older audience.  It is a flexible show with a high degree of transportability.   

Sammie Real
    Fayetteville, GA
    srealiii@gmail.com

• 17.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-26-2016 09:25

I wrote an adaptation of Jon Scieszka & Lane Smith's picture book "Squid's Will Be Squids" for my middle school group last year that they enjoyed. It's about 30 minutes long and can be done with almost any cast size--There are 2 narrators who play off of each other and then a cast of story book characters. These are the same authors who did "The Stinky Cheese Man" and "The True Story of the Three Little Pigs". Let me know if you're interested and I'll send it along!

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 18.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-26-2016 09:58

I absolutely agree with the suggestion to do "Dear Edwina".  We did it 5 years ago.  The cast size is completely adjustable.  The songs are catchy but not demanding for kids.  One side note:  five days before opening, our lead actress "Edwina" was in a car accident and had to pull out.  After the panic attack subsided, we substituted a Sesame-Street-like puppet and had one of our seniors run it.  It was AMAZING!

LuCinda Lounge
    Theatre Director
    Burlington CO

• 19.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-26-2016 18:01

I have used this online resource before and it has been very useful!!   www.childrenstheatreplays.com

Andrea Rassler
    Concord NC

• 20.  RE: Children's show

Posted 09-26-2016 20:33

Thank you all for all the lovely suggestions!  I will look into these ASAP.

Melissa :)

Melissa Souers
    Theatre Teacher
    Farmington Municipal Schools
    Farmington NM