Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Appropriate and Challenging Dramas for High Schoolers

Posted 08-17-2020 18:17
    Good evening, 

Our theater is moving to a completely virtual format for this fall, and we are trying to finalize our season. We are looking for plays for our high schoolers similar to 'Our Town' that provide students with opportunities to engage in deeper character study, and that are more 'feel-good' for the performance time in December. 

We are situated in a rural community and want to be mindful of topics and themes that remain appropriate for high schoolers. Thus, an age-appropriate contemporary drama fit for the family would be wonderful! 

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and suggestions. I know these are trying times, and I appreciate the support. 

Best,
    Jessica

------------------------------
    Jessica Harris
    VA

• 2.  RE: Appropriate and Challenging Dramas for High Schoolers

Posted 08-18-2020 07:31
    For how large a cast? I LOVE Silent Sky, but it only has five characters. I also like Triangle, by Laurie Brooks, and you may be able to make that work virtually. There are two versions of The Orphan Train (one on Playscripts, one on Dramatic Publishing), and I think either of those would work really well via a digital platform.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Appropriate and Challenging Dramas for High Schoolers

Posted 08-18-2020 08:46
    Are streaming rights available for any of those?  I know Dramatists has on its site a link to TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES: PLAYS FOR ONLINE THEATRE but I don't think all its plays are available to stream.

Jerry Seeger
    Director of Theatre
    The Sagemont School
    Plantation FL

• 4.  RE: Appropriate and Challenging Dramas for High Schoolers

Posted 08-18-2020 09:49
    Triangle and both versions of Orphan Train are available for streaming. Silent Sky is not flagged as such, but you could just ask Dramatists. Dramatic Publishing and Playscripts both have lists of their titles that are already cleared for streaming rights.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 5.  RE: Appropriate and Challenging Dramas for High Schoolers

Posted 08-19-2020 10:23
    Good Morning.
       We did the Orphan Train by Aurand Harris - published by Dramatic Publishing. I love this show. Thinking back on it, this would really work on a virtual platform. The characters are unique and provide the students with in depth character work. Also it is historical and would provide some insight into the time period and the treatment of people with different backgrounds who experienced prejudice. We spent time doing historical research - learning about this solution to a problem of the times.  We used a song that was written by an orphan who was on one of the trains.

I wonder if the play Walk Two Moons would work virtually- it is scenes with no more than five people in a scene. The message is timely and the title recognizable. 
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 6.  RE: Appropriate and Challenging Dramas for High Schoolers

Posted 08-18-2020 10:35
    We've had great response from actors and audiences for HEARTLAND, which although set in WWII, still resonates today. Synopsis: On a small dairy farm in Wisconsin in March 1945, German-born Berta Gertzoff and her children-all born in America-struggle to make ends meet after the death of her husband. When the War Manpower Commission offers two German prisoners of war as laborers, could this be the help they need to save the farm? Initially cautious relations give way to bonding between the Gertzoffs and the POWs. But when the townspeople turn suspicious of their growing friendship and suspicion turns into action, Berta is arrested and interned, jeopardizing everything she and her children have worked for. Based on true stories of German-American families during World War II, Heartland shows what can happen when fear and prejudice pit neighbor against neighbor. Challenging roles for 4 females, 4 males, 2+ any gender (10-12+ performers possible)
    https://www.youthplays.com/play/heartland-by-lojo-simon-and-anita-yellin-simons-562&ref=search.php%3Fquicksearchbox%3Dheartland

Lojo Simon
    Playwright/dramaturg

• 7.  RE: Appropriate and Challenging Dramas for High Schoolers

Posted 08-18-2020 11:05

Thanks all - this is incredibly helpful. We have a group of about 8-15 at any given time, so we will be looking into these options for sure! 

Jessica

Jessica Harris
    University of Virginia
    Palmyra VA