Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  UNC Graduate Degree in Theatre Education

Posted 01-11-2016 10:05
    Has anyone attended/completed the Masters in Theatre Education degree from Northern Colorado? I am looking at applying to the program and was looking for some feedback from students who have gone through the program. 

Thanks! 

• 2.  RE: UNC Graduate Degree in Theatre Education

Posted 01-12-2016 07:48

Hi I know someone who has, he's a teacher here in central VA. He really enjoyed it. You can find him on here and I'm sure he'll be happy to talk to you about it. Let me know if you'd like his info through PM.

------------------------------
    Victoria Kesling Councill
    Chapter Director - VA EdTA/ Virginia Thespians
    Theatre Director- Fine & Performing Arts Department NKHS
    Artistic Director - NKHS Trojan Theatre
    Artistic Director - Kent England Exchange Production
    Virginia Commonwealth University BFA Theatre Education, BFA Art Education '08
    University of Houston - MA in Theatre Candidate '16

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art." - Konstantin Stanislavski

• 3.  RE: UNC Graduate Degree in Theatre Education

Posted 01-12-2016 09:04

Anything you'd like to know specifically? I graduated from the Grad school in 2014 with my MA in Theatre Education. It's a wonderful program, and I'm very glad I did it and am a better teacher for it.

Charles Miller
    West Creek NJ

• 4.  RE: UNC Graduate Degree in Theatre Education

Posted 01-13-2016 07:46
    I am also applying to this program. I have heard nothing but great things and have met many graduates at the last IB theatre training I attended.

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 5.  RE: UNC Graduate Degree in Theatre Education

Posted 01-12-2016 09:43

Hi!

I graduated from UNC two years ago with a Master's in Educational Theatre.

I really enjoyed the program, but it was incredibly difficult. The difficulty came not necessarily from the content, but from the rigor of the writing. I wrote so many papers...it makes me tired just thinking about it. The summer intensives were a blast, (and not that difficult). I was teaching full-time while in the program, as were most of my classmates, and it was hard. I worked on homework for most of my weekend, every weekend for 2 1/2 years.

That being said, I have become a significantly better teacher, collaborator, writer, researcher, director, and actor. I would go back to the program in a heartbeat. I was very happy with my experience. I have good or great things to say about almost every class and instructor/professor.

Let me know if you have any specific questions; I'd be happy to talk more about it!

One of my favorite parts about this program, is the strong connections I've made and retained, even after the program is over, with all of the classmates in my cohort. We are all still friends on Facebook, and it's nice to have people all over the country to use as resources.

Amber Goodspeed

Amber Goodspeed
    Teacher/Director
    School District of Superior
    Superior WI

• 6.  RE: UNC Graduate Degree in Theatre Education

Posted 01-12-2016 10:52
    I completed my degree in Dec. 2012 from UNC and am so glad I did. Excellent classes, excellent classmates. Lots of hard work juggling a full time teaching position, extra curricular productions, and serving as the Chapter Director for Indiana, but so worth it!

--
    Ann Hileman, M.A.
    State Chapter Director, Indiana Thespians
    Indiana Thespian Hall of Fame

Maconaquah High School
    256 East 800 South
    Bunker Hill, IN 46914
    765-689-9131 x 5550 (phone)
    765-689-9528 (fax)

• 7.  RE: UNC Graduate Degree in Theatre Education

Posted 01-13-2016 10:27

I too am curious about the program! I would love to hear alums' thoughts/experience balancing a full time teaching schedule and doing UNC work. What are the assignments/projects like? I have researched the program online but it would be great to have more information about what each school year and summers are like. Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

Jordan Fox
    Area Head, Theater
    Windward School
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: UNC Graduate Degree in Theatre Education

Posted 01-19-2016 15:20

I graduated in 2014 from UNC. The program's capstone project is the thesis or action research project. They are always tweaking things, so this is based on my experience only. The most traditional route is the production thesis. You pick a play you want to answer some research questions about (usually pedagogy for student actors) and write a dramaturgical analysis of the show plus methodology and results. The remaining courses are about theatre education, diversity and advocacy for your program, devising original works, voice, movement, acting and other tech. For two and a half years, you take one class online in the fall and another in the spring, followed by three weeks in the summer on-site in Greeley. The thesis work, pedagogy, and diversity and advocacy classes are online. The rest is on-site. Expect your weekends to be sucked up by the work during the school year (it is manageable if you plan your time carefully). It was, as has been said above by my classmates, a rewarding program that has opened many doors for me as a theatre teacher. The connections and friendships I have made have broadened my view of what theatre is and can be.

Zachary Schneider
    Casper WY

• 9.  RE: UNC Graduate Degree in Theatre Education

Posted 01-20-2016 10:30

I graduated from the program and would recommend it. 

Anne-Marie Roberts
    Theatre Director
    Ann Arbor Public Schools
    Ann Arbor MI