Open Forum

View Only

Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

• 1.  Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-14-2014 18:16
    It's no doubt that people enjoy a well-performed comedy. I did Almost, Maine this past fall, but many didn't care for it in the community. One lady at the end came up and said, "I really prefer the comedies, but this was pretty good." So, what are some of the best comedies you've produced or seen? I had a great time with The Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon, an audience favorite. Other than that, I've not produced a side-splitting show.

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Valparaiso IN

• 2.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-14-2014 18:41

We did Don Zolidis' The Birds last year. Large cast, you can use a lot of female actors, and it's funny. And it's fairly faithful to the Greek original. Some people thought it was too "racy" but it sold out several performances.

If you do it, I can give you help with mask construction.

John Perry
    Drama/ Humanities Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 3.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-15-2014 07:49
    Funniest I've seen at a HS level: The 39 Steps. Great physical comedy.

Short play that I've done: Paper of Plastic? by Trieschmann. Goofy, goofy, goofy.

Woody Allen's "God" and "Death Knocks" are really funny. "God" is a tad risque at times, but very funny.

"Spamalot" is Python, and the list of changes they will allow to "tone it down" is impressive.

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 4.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-16-2014 08:40
    One of the funniest shows we have ever staged is Play On! by Rick Abbot.  He also wrote Sing On! (a musical structured much like Play On!).  The audience loved both!  Another more edgy comedy that scored high was Museum by Tina Howe.  And then there is Hay Fever by Noel Coward and the absolute hilarious Beyond a Joke by Derek Benfield..  All these plays have been our most successful comedies and well worth investigating. 

Since our school (Hathaway Brown) is an all-girl school, I always search for the best female roles I can find and these plays have terrific roles for females--I also cast some females as males.

Molly Cornwell
    Shaker Heights OH

• 5.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-20-2014 11:22
    We just did Play On! this year and it was a great success. The cast had so much too during rehearsals. We are also an all-girl school and always are searching for plays and musicals that highlight our girls. I am looking into the musical version Sing On! for future reference. I plan on investigating the suggested plays. Thanks so much,
    Laura

Laura VonderHaar-Bolt
    Drama Director
    Cor Jesu Academy
    St. Louis MO

• 6.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-16-2014 11:55
    and set switches between acts (audience view, then backstage, then audience view again), and you have a tight, well-oiled cast, it can be hysterically funny. We had people rolling in the aisles by the end.
    Robin Share
    Teacher
    Los Angeles Unified School District
    Sherman Oaks CA

• 7.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-15-2014 10:11
    We are producing The Pink Panther Strikes Again. Very funny and great roles for character actors. Flexible cast as well.

Jane Dykas
    Teacher
    Parma School District
    Parma ID

• 8.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-15-2014 11:35
    I love shows that truly make me laugh, they seem to be the ones I remember the most. My all-time favorite funny show is Moon Over Buffalo. I've seen it a hundred times, but I laugh just as hard any time I see it. I've noticed I'm a big fan of shows with lots of doors, so Rumors is another favorite.

Not too well known, but Epic Proportions is hilarious and The Compleat Wrks of Wllm Shkspr (Abridged)) never fails to entertain. Oh-and can't forget The Foreigner!

As for funny musicals, I love How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying and You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown (Lucy kills me every time).
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 9.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-15-2014 11:49
    Curious Savage always makes me laugh.

In the musical category - Lucky Stiff was a huge hit.  

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 10.  Comedies

Posted 04-16-2014 14:42

Pink Panther Strikes Again was probably the funniest show I've ever done.
    Katherine Miller
    Herndon VA

• 11.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-17-2014 12:46
    We did a ridiculous comedy called The Day the Cornfield Stood Still last year and greatly enjoyed it--as did the audience.  I also produced "Check, Please," "Check, Please:  Take 2" and "Check, Please:  Take 3" as a full length show with permission and that went over very well.
    Lend Me a Tenor and Moon Over Buffalo went over well at our local community theatre, but they involve alcohol if that's an issue with your school.

Kendra Blazi
    Edgewater FL

• 12.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-18-2014 23:09
    A play that was hysterical to be a part of was Noises Off by Michael Frayn. It has everything an audience wants: slamming doors, sardines, and a violent love triangle.

Another show that was hysterical to watch was Lend Me a Tenor by Ken Ludwig. I saw it last year at ITF and at one point I had tears running down my face because it was so funny.

Hope this helps!

Alex Minton
    Omaha NE

• 13.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-18-2014 23:24
    The 39 Steps is really really funny. I would only do this show if you have a really strong tech crew, because it does not require a lot of stuff yet it is very tech heavy. 

I agree that Spamalot is also hilarious and it is a classic. 

Lend Me a Tenor was done recently in a community theatre I work with and it is phenomenal. Ken Ludwig tends to have really hilarious shows. Sometimes they can get a little bit more mature, but some are okay. Leading Ladies is a hilarious Ken Ludwig show, and I have seen several high schools produce that show. 

Avenue Q is also incredible as well. Many schools require you do the school version, but that is just as funny! It also allows you to work with puppets which is a different and fun challenge! 

Hope this helps! 
    Katie An 

Katie Siegel
    ITO Chair
    Huntsville AL

• 14.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 04-30-2014 13:58
    The Drowsy Chaperone is absolutely hysterical. It's perfect for high schools because of the very very minimal set, and it's completely clean. Most musical theatre fans can relate to the main character, The Man in Chair, but it is a perfect musical for the non-theatre lover as well. The characters are simply ridiculous, but it is also very heartwarming. I would say that it is the ultimate high school musical! (Very side-splitting.)
    Maison Kelly
    Dallas TX

• 15.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 05-01-2014 07:47

A few years ago, we did "Romeo and Juliet - Together (and Alive!) at Last"  My tech director, who's been here for 20 years, said he couldn't remember a time where there was more laughter in our auditorium.  I absolutely loved it and am counting down the years until I can maybe do it again (only ten or fifteen more years!)

Julie Tipton
    Cranberry Twp PA

• 16.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 05-02-2014 12:45
    The funniest show we have ever done was The Love of Three Oranges by Hillary Dipiano. In my 12 years of teaching, this was favorite comedy. It's gender flexible, suits a larger or smaller cast. It really let's your actor flex their comedy muscles. I have never seen an audience laugh so hard. I don't like to repeat shows but I will definitely do this one again before I retire. Maybe my retirement year.  

Patricia Giles
    Theatre Director
    Columbus GA

• 17.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 05-02-2014 21:03
    "The Love of Three Oranges" by Hillary DiPiano

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 18.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 05-01-2014 15:02
    Doesn't The Drowsy Chaperone have a "minstrel number" ("Cold Feets") and a stereotype "Asian number" ("Message from a Nightingale)?  Maybe I'm being a little overly PC but I can't see making these numbers work without offending someone in the community.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 19.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 05-01-2014 15:56
    I did the Drowsy Chaperone with my community theatre last summer.It is a wonderful and funny show. It was a big hit with the community. Another high school near us did the same show a year ago and had a great turn out.

Although I can see where the song "Message from a Nightingale" could be seen as offensive, I do think it's all in good fun. "Cold Feets" is simply a song about the groom getting 'cold feet' before his wedding and trying to shake his nerves. 

We had a great response with this show. It was tons of fun to be in apart of and to watch. We did not get any complaints. I think its a very good choice for a high school to perform.

Emilee Cruchelow
    Indianola IA

• 20.  RE:Funniest Shows: Plays or Musicals

Posted 05-02-2014 10:38
    You have to keep in mind that The Drowsy Chaperone is a spoof of 1920s musicals.  Many shows of that period had racially insensitive numbers in them - "Shufflin' Sam" from Kern's Sitting Pretty comes to mind, as does "Clap Yo' Hands" from Gershwin's Oh, Kay!  Spoofing a form means spoofing its components, so Drowsy ridicules the racism of '20s musicals via "Cold Feets."  (I actually think that the "Message from a Nightingale" number is a little off-period for Drowsy, since its most obvious inspiration is The King and I, which dates from twenty or thirty years later.)  I would hope that audiences should be able to pick up on the fact that Drowsy is not itself racist, but is in fact ridiculing a form of racism.

But then, over the years so many people have failed to understand that "It Depends on What You Pay" from The Fantasticks uses the word "rape" not in the sense of a sexual assault but in its more archaic form referring to a kidnapping (as in Pope's "The Rape of the Lock") that the authors wrote an alternate song that may be substituted in productions.

Ultimately, the audience decides.  If your audience wouldn't get what Drowsy is doing in those numbers, best to avoid it.  If you can trust that they will get the joke, well, my school had a lot of fun with the show and got no complaints.  A recent college production in our area used a cast that was almost half African-American and had no problems.

Jeff Grove
    Theatre Teacher, Aesthetics Department Chair
    Stanton College Preparatory School
    Jacksonville FL