Open Forum

View Only

"Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

• 1.  "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 06-11-2020 15:51
    After hours of video editing work, our production of "Trap" will show for one night only, this Saturday, June 13. For those of you looking for a show for next year that might work on video, I think this is a pretty good one -- we were lucky to have chosen it for this spring. Lots of direct address, though there are some scenes, and there are some elements that really don't work as well on video as they would have in a theater. (I saw another director posting on Facebook that he got permission to make some script changes to work with the medium change to video; for us we were too far along to make changes, but those might be worth exploring.)

This is the 50th (!) production I've directed at my school, and I'm proud that we were able to put it together despite all the difficulties, and there were MANY. If you'd like to get a free ticket to the showing Saturday night at 7 pm, message me and I'll send you the link.

------------------------------
    Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 2.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 06-12-2020 12:20
    Hi Cora,

School playwrights are always grateful for school directors-AKA Those With the Way Harder Jobs-but never moreso than now, when every aspect of the production has had to be thought through at least twice. Messaging you for that link!

Stephen Gregg
    Playwright
    Venice CA

• 3.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 06-12-2020 16:23
    I just emailed you back! My students will be SO EXCITED. Thank you for bringing an extra sense of occasion to this situation, which I'm sure many if not all of my actors felt to be a letdown.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 4.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 06-13-2020 21:14
    Congratulations! I was wondering how you'd pull this off, and pull it off you did. From the tech to the  editing to the performances, it was terrific. I was surprised at how fluid and contiguous it was. The format of so much direct audience address works well in Zoom.  I will keep this in mind as I begin to search for a project in the fall.  Now if I can just figure out how to do a musical...

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    He/Him pronouns
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 5.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 06-15-2020 11:02
    Cora,
    I was out of town this past weekend, but am so interested to see how your TRAP video production went! 
    I have seen so many emails about this particular play, the title has definitely raised my curiosity.  Would I be able to view the link?
    Thank you for being so brave to tackle this format and do this production with your students!  I'm sure they were all appreciative of your efforts.

Kimberly Mollohan
    Westerville OH

• 6.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 06-15-2020 21:54
    Thanks so much for your kind words, Michael. Kimberly, my agreement with Playscripts was only for one night's showing, so the link is no longer active. I do encourage you to read the script on the Playscripts website, and if you have any questions about what we did I'd be happy to chat -- though I think other directors have done more to adapt it to the format than we did. After weeks of working alone at my computer editing video, it was really gratifying to share the show with others and hear their feedback. And Stephen Gregg's gracious appearance on our post-show Zoom session certainly was an extra treat for the cast and for me.

Cora Turlish
    Metuchen NJ

• 7.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 06-16-2020 14:37
    Cora,

I really loved the show Saturday and what you and your students were able to do. The music, the audience address, and the pacing all had me asking "what's next?" throughout the evening. Thanks for sharing. Stephen, I am adding Trap to my list because of Cora and her students!!

J. Harvey Stone
    Teacher/Director
    Jamestown High School Theatre
    Williamsburg, VA
    james.stone@wjccschools.org

• 8.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 07-30-2020 00:04
    @Cora Turlish

Cora,

I'd love to see your video & then pick your brain about what worked & didn't.

We're neighbors in NJ. My daughter teaches at St. Francis in Metuchen.

Thanks,
    Maria Stadtmueller 
    St. Augustine School 
    Kendall Park, NJ
    StadtFamily@Juno.com

Sent from my iPhone

Top News - Sponsored By Newser

• 9.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 03-12-2021 11:28
    For those of you who replied after the fact that you'd like to see our production video, I scrupulously adhered to my agreement with Playscripts in not making the video available. However, recently I was contacted by Stephen Gregg, and the upshot is that he has given his blessing for me to share my video with other theater teachers who are considering producing the script virtually. If you are interested in seeing what we did it, feel free to contact me.

Cora Turlish

• 10.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 03-13-2021 09:50
    I would love to see it, if that is still possible. Love Steve & his plays!

Jacquie Thompson-Mercer
    Retired, Bakersfield High School
    California Educational Theatre Association
    Emeritus Member, California Thespian Board
    Bakersfield, CA

• 11.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 03-14-2021 09:24
    Hi Cora - I’d also really love to see the show. Thanks so much - Stuart Rosenthal

Sent from my iPhone

• 12.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 03-16-2021 06:19
    I would love to see your production.  Thank you!

Tracey Buot
    Director of Theatre
    St. Pius X Catholic High School
    Atlanta, Georgia

• 13.  RE: "Trap" as video -- this Saturday night June 13

Posted 03-15-2021 14:44
    Hello, Cora. Bill Dawson here. I am the head speech and theatre director am will be directing TRAPPED in the Fall of 2021. Previously, I have been in contact with Stephen Gregg. It is my understanding that his son created the music, too. I would appreciate the opportunity to view the video. I am unsure if we will have to produce it virtually in the Fall. Who knows where we will be by then.  Thank you, Cora. Bill Dawson Waterloo West High School, 425 E. Ridgeway, Waterloo, Iowa 50702

William Dawson
    Professional Speech and Theatre Educator, Director