Open Forum

View Only

Phones and Food, Oh My!

• 1.  Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-23-2016 16:55

How do you deal with food and phones in rehearsal? Can your students use phones if not rehearsing? Can they eat while offstage? 

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 2.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 06:39

We do not allow food on stage or in the house.  As for cell phones, we have one of those plastic shoe hangers that you hang on the back of a door.  It has 25 or so pouches in it.  Each pouch is labeled with a student's last name.  At the beginning of rehearsal each student puts their phone in their respective pouch and they are locked in the Green Room until the end of rehearsal (or dinner break during tech rehearsals, etc.)

Mike Morris
    Technical Director & Business Manager
    Harrison OH

• 3.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 10:21

That's an awesome idea! Thanks Mike.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 06:57

In our production contract we state that phones must be away.  In shows I direct, I do have students who use them for note taking after rehearsals, but I think next year I am going to give each person a notebook to actually WRITE  their notes in.  Not only is the research showing that handwriting notes helps retain info, it also ensures they are focusing on me and not social media.

As for food, that is typically forbidden unless there is a medical reason.  We just opened up a new theatre space, and so all food and drink (including water) is not allowed, per our auditorium director and administration.  I expect that the water embargo will be lifted in a year or so.

However, I do think that stripping away creature comforts can have a benefit for a person.  I think it can help to focus a person on the task at hand, and result in some great theatre!

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 5.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 07:58

I don't explicitly say no phones or food unless they become problems.  And on occasion they have.  In those cases, I have the students lay their phones along the front of the stage off to the side.  As for food, it's hard for me to outright ban it because so many of my kids are involved in many activities, including sports, so they often run and get a burger or something before rehearsals.  I try to build in a little time at the beginning of practice for those who are late because they went to eat or are eating there. 

Christina Iman
    Teacher
    Ripley WV

• 6.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 08:28

I teach middle school. Our school day ends at 3:15 and we officially start rehearsal at 3:30. Once rehearsal has started, no phones and no food. They have the 15 minutes before we start for snacks, restroom trips and social time. They are to have snacks finished, trash thrown away, phones stashed and scripts ready when we begin. We give them a 5 minute call as a reminder. If I see a phone after that, I take it up and hold it till the end of rehearsal. 

At my parent meeting, I let parents know my phone policy during rehearsal, so they understand that they might not get a response from their child until the end of rehearsal. I give them my cell number for use in an emergency. I was very wary of doing this, but they truly only use it as a last resort. 

There is absolutely no food backstage. I do allow water backstage. A very generous parent donated a flat of water bottles during our last show... and we were cleaning up mountains of half-full water bottles left all over the place afterwards, so I need to come up with an alternative. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 7.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 07:58

Our students came up with a cell phone policy themselves. They are pretty good about following it. No cell phone usage during rehearsals except on breaks or when they are not on stage. Food is forbidden in the theater and every year we have a student who steps into the role of "Food Police" and enforces this rule in a tough-love, fun way.

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 8.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 08:21

Phones are absolutely forbidden for the entirety of rehearsal.  We have a phone parking lot (it is actually lined little spaces) on the edge of the stage that all phones go in.  They stay until we dismiss.

Water is always allowed and pick-me up snacks are allowed when students are not actively rehearsing.  That also means they are in the study area of the auditorium away from the stage.  

Hope this helps!

Rain

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 9.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 08:28

During rehearsal ALL phones must be turned off and secured in bags. They should not be used except during approved break time. If a phone is forgotten and finds it's way to the stage, it is taken from the student. Our rehearsals are on our stage in the auditorium where no food is allowed, so only water may be in the space or back stage during rehearsals. There may be food in the green room area and students may have it there during breaks.

Jill Campbell
    Pine Grove Mills PA

• 10.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 14:25

Food is not allowed in the theater. I allow water bottles with screw-top lids or sports bottles with a stopper. They have time to get something to eat before rehearsal and must eat in the classroom. Phones are off and stowed during rehearsal. If they are out my SM takes them. If students have homework and are not actively rehearsing they can have their phones in the classroom. (Not texting or games...just homework) During the last two weeks all phones are locked up for rehearsal.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 11.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-24-2016 22:22

Students turn in their phones - they are not allowed to have them when they're off stage. They can check them during breaks. Part of their contract is no phones and I always made it clear to parents and students. If parents needed to contact their child, they had my cell number, choreographers cell, various assistants' cell numbers and they were free to call or text any of us and we would relay the message or have the student call during a break. This is always an issue and there's always kids who think they're exempt - they're not. I had a senior once who answered his phone during rehearsal while doing a scene ON STAGE!! Of course he got "the look"  and I asked him what he was doing. He said, "it's my mom." As I took his phone, I told him I didn't care if it was the President of the United States! It's hard to implement (cuz they always have excuses), but be consistent and communicate to parents and kids the rules. Before you know it they'll start turning them in without being asked. You can place them on a table, have a special bucket, anything works. Also, no one gets their phones back until everything is cleaned up. You can also use rewards: first one to turn their phone in gets a piece of chocolate, etc. 

Food was never a problem - they're hungry after school and it's important they're fed and hydrated. When rehearsals got closer to performance and often during Saturday rehearsals, people would bring healthy snacks to share. 

Good luck! 

Connie Sandoz
    Theatre Director, Retired
    Henderson NV

• 12.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-25-2016 09:17

Water is allowed and they are able to eat as long as it's not in the actual rehearsal (unless it's required in the show). Phones are not allowed during the actual rehearsal unless there is a specific need and I am informed of it before rehearsal starts. 

The only variation is when the kids are waiting for their class time in rehearsal. They are allowed to eat or use their phones in the classroom (assuming we're on stage) until they're actually called into the rehearsal

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 13.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-26-2016 10:29

No phones are permitted in my classes or during rehearsals.  I am strict about this and I will take their phones if I see them. Water is permitted in my class and backstage.  After school before rehearsals I do have a snack break for the students before we begin rehearsing.  I have a snack fee and my boosters shop and bring in snacks and water.

Tracey Buot
    Drama Director
    Cambridge High School
    Milton, Georgia

• 14.  RE: Phones and Food, Oh My!

Posted 02-27-2016 01:47

Haven't set a specific policy for food, drink or phone usage in our Troupe, and the only real difficulty is (oddly enough) with older students.  Tried these techniques that have been successful, so far.

• Dividing the script into French scenes and scheduling days off for roles whenever possible.  We don't normally do run throughs until the last two weeks.  This also allows students to have an de facto 'study hall' using the extended learning hours scheduled by the school to support academics.
    • Asking the students if the phone belongs to them or their character.  These young Thespians have become so focused on excellence, the phones disappear not only from the stage, but their pockets.  For students who have concerns about receiving calls from younger siblings or parents, the Stage Manager or AD has the phones under observation.
    • Food and drink are not allowed on stage, so the rule continues to students acting in rehearsals.  Of course "staff positions" like Stage Manager and AD have privileges.
    Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington