Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Plays about honor and duty

Posted 09-03-2017 12:46
    My Drama II students are currently reading Becket (Jean Anouilh), and they will move on to Oedipus next.  Do you have any suggestions for plays that deal with both duty and honor? It would be nice to have them read something modern (maybe A Few Good Men - though I have only seen the film).

------------------------------
    Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 2.  RE: Plays about honor and duty

Posted 09-04-2017 15:20
    Grounded by George Brant & That Championship Season by Jason Miller are both interesting and complex takes on the grey area between duty to the tribe and personal honor and the costs when you cross those lines that will seem very accessible to teenagers.  Also, the new Anne Carson translation of Antigone takes a harder look than the Anouilh translation at the costs of an extreme commitment to honor and duty on the part of the powerful and the powerless.  All these will be nice literary and dramatic foils to the themes in your primary pieces.   Best of luck.

Hope Love

• 3.  RE: Plays about honor and duty

Posted 09-05-2017 08:44
    Jean Anouilh's adaptation of ANTINGONE is all about duty and honor!

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 4.  RE: Plays about honor and duty

Posted 09-05-2017 13:05
    Incident at Vichy by Arthur Miller is a fantastic play to read aloud, especially after you've talked about the characteristics of the tragic hero according to Aristotle.  Takes place during WWII.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Plays about honor and duty

Posted 09-05-2017 18:12
    Are you looking for full lengths? If you're open to one acts I'd recommend either "Booby Trap" by Ed Monk (my kids really loved this piece) or "Voices In Conflict" by Bonnie Dickinson (although this is more monologues than anything else)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 6.  RE: Plays about honor and duty

Posted 09-06-2017 08:48
    A Few Good Men is an awesome and well-written play, but be advised that there's a fair amount of strong language. I probably wouldn't be comfortable teaching it to my class (maybe my seniors), but I don't know your students or environment.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 7.  RE: Plays about honor and duty

Posted 09-11-2017 00:07
    As much as I loved seeing our local community theatre do "A Few Good Men" this summer, and had quite a few of my high school kids in it (including my son), it's got quite a few F bombs that the movie does not.  Your admin would probably not approve of it and there's the issue of Markinson's suicide that you need to be sensitive to, especially if it's happened recently in your community.   I loved the show but doubt I'd be allowed to do it at my high school.

Melissa Gibson
    Drama teacher
    Oak Harbor High School
    Oak Harbor WA

• 8.  RE: Plays about honor and duty

Posted 09-14-2017 04:11
    Have you looked at Women and War by Jack Hilton Cunningham.  It may not hit on duty as deeply as you are wanting, but it shows the many sides of what duty is during times of war.  All of the American conflicts, actually.  The duty of soldiers, male and female, and primarily the duty of the wives, girlfriends, and mothers of soldiers.  Sam French carries and it is a powerful read.  

Wishing you the best!
    Carolyn 

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Kentucky Thespians

• 9.  RE: Plays about honor and duty

Posted 09-14-2017 11:38
    If you wanted a silly and comedic take on duty and honor, there's always Pirates of Penzance by Gilbert and Sullivan. ;-) . It's in the public domain.

Christopher Hamilton
    Drama Teacher
    Kennewick WA