Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Book of Everything

Posted 08-17-2019 10:20
    Has anyone here done The Book of Everything as a one act? I am having problems deciding where to cut. I just love the whole play! Any suggestions would be helpful!

• 2.  RE: The Book of Everything

Posted 08-19-2019 07:34
    I'm interested in the full-length version for next year, so let me know how your experience goes. I've never read it but just ran across a recommendation for it.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: The Book of Everything

Posted 08-19-2019 07:49
    Advocating for awesome shows that allow you to put a cast of 25 on stage the entire show by recommending "The Book of Everything." We did this as a 40-minute one act, although the full-length is also beautiful! I always struggle to find shows, so hoping this helps. The emotional saturation of this piece is such a challenge for actors as they must travel from joy to sorrow and back again. A performer's and audience favorite from beginning to end! Couldn't recommend it higher! I am so grateful to have directed this show and would do it again in a heartbeat. 

We won states in MA with this show, and it won in TX the year before. There are so many lenses you can use to examine the show and themes. Our season theme was speaking truth to power so we paralleled Van Amersfoort standing up to the Nazis with the family's need to stand up to Father. We focused on Thomas and how we sees everything, using the ensemble to show Thomas's thoughts and feelings. There is so much depth to each character and situation we discovered, and it was great to do something with powerful social justice themes. I am happy to share with anyone more of what, how, and why we did.

(Edit: Plays for Young Audiences has the rights for the full-length show adapted by Richard Tulloch fro the novel by Guus Kuijer. You can get cutting permission to make it a one-act)

• 4.  RE: The Book of Everything

Posted 08-20-2019 08:59
    Hi Jess! 
    I just looked up the "The Book of Everything" at the publisher's site. It says there are 5 female, 3 male. It does not give information about extra cast. There is no partial perusal to look at. 
    How do you have 25 cast members in this show?

Valerie Gargus
    NJ Thespians Festival Director
    Retired Theatre Arts Teacher
    Play & Thespian Troupe 4762 Director
    Northern Burlington County Reg HS
    Columbus, NJ

• 5.  RE: The Book of Everything

Posted 08-20-2019 19:57
    The whole show is in a story theatre format with beautifully poetic narration. We had an entire ensemble that represented Thomas's thoughts and feelings. They brought his entire world to life so we could see the world as Thomas sees it. The ensemble was on stage the entire show because Thomas was on stage the entire show. The ensemble narrated, played the cat and the Bumbiter, played magic portraits and bookshelves in Van Am's home, they were trees that lost their leaves in the hail storm, the window and doorway for the Klopper's home, children who tease Van Am, tropical guppies swimming in the canal, the church parishioners, and the party goers who come at the end of the show (just to name some of what they did). The ensemble were settings, characters, and Thomas's perspective primarily. 

You could do the show with 8, but we love inclusion and did it with 25. 

• 6.  RE: The Book of Everything

Posted 08-19-2019 08:02
    I saw Jess' version last year and was blown away by this show. I don't know about the full show but it was incredibly powerful. I can only imagine the positive impact that it must have had on the cast, crew, and community. I highly recommend it.

David LaFleche
    Director of Membership
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH