Open Forum

View Only

Educational Theatre Masters Program

• 1.  Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-27-2014 22:53
    Hello all! I have a good friend who is looking for decent colleges where he can get his masters in Educational Theatre! Any one know of any? Thanks so much! Grae Greer

-------------------------------------------
    Grae Greer
    Marshall University
    Huntington WV

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-28-2014 08:49

Grae,

I'm finishing up the Master of Arts in Theatre Education at the University of Northern Colorado and I can highly recommend the program. Two years of courses on-line during the school year, and 3 weeks in the summer. The program is intensive and covers all areas a theatre teacher needs to know. The cost is very reasonable compared to other programs.

Martha Louden
    West Virginia Chapter Director
    Jefferson County Schools
    Shepherdstown WV

• 3.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-29-2014 08:43
    I just finished the Masters in Theatre Studies - Production and Design program at Southern Oregon University. Three summers of a 2 week main session plus three electives (either 1 week on site, or a semester online each). It was fabulous. Really phenomenal. Many of the teachers are affiliated with the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. There's a bunch of folks from that program who post on these boards from time to time...

great stuff

Aaron Bogad
    Princeton NJ

• 4.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-29-2014 12:03
    Hello Grae, 

I'm in my second year of the 3-summer MA in Ed Theatre at New York University. Though highly intense, I LOVE it and couldn't recommend it enough. The professors are all extremely knowledgeable and the classes are relevant to the K-12 theatre teacher. The course matter also nods toward the student that is preparing to jump into a PhD program. Plus, you can't beat New York in the summer. It is excellent. 

The full year program focuses on the exact same classes that the 3-summer program does, so you either way you get the same experience. Definitely tell your friend to check the program out. 

Corinna Rezzelle
    Education Lead
    The Jewel Conservatory Theatre
    Savannah, GA

• 5.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-30-2014 15:07
    Hi-

I attended Emerson College's Master's in Theatre Education program in Boston.  It is a small program, but simply awesome.  Bob Colby is one of the best educators in his field.

-Ginny

Virginia Schreiber
    Middle School Drama Teacher
    Bellevue WA

• 6.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 07-29-2016 05:30

I studied voice with Todd Gordon at Emerson for 2 years and he is one of the best voice teachers in the country.  He knows classical and musical theater repertoire (is a supurb pianist) and his knowledge of vocal technique and communication skills are wonderful.  I highly recommend him for a voice teacher if you know of anyone going to Emerson, undergrad or grad school or private lessons in the Boston area.

------------------------------
    Corinne Walker
    Lyon, France

• 7.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-12-2018 01:24
    Hi there,

I have been accepted into Southern Oregon's and University of Northern Colorado's Summer Masters Intensive programs. I am having a hard time deciding which one is the right fit for me. 

I saw recommendations for both programs from a couple of people here. This discussion was from a while ago. If either of you is still around on this forum, would you be willing to provide some more details. Any specific reasons why you feel your program was great?

Both programs seem to require a lot of work during the school year, with official online courses at UNC and work in preparation for each summer intensive at SOU. Did you find the work load manageable while you were teaching?

Thank you!
    Amy

Amy Penney
    Albany CA

• 8.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-13-2018 09:39
    I'm about to start my second summer with the program at Souther Oregon University.  The additional work load during the school year is significant.  Fortunately, a good portion of that can be integrated into your normal teaching, if you happen to teach Theatre.  (I'm assigned as a Science teacher, so it makes my life a bit more difficult.)

What I appreciate most is the focus of the program as SOU.  The founding concept of the SOU program is that most Theatre teachers have a performance or literature background and very limited experience in design and technical elements.  This is the focus of the program, to provide a broad foundation in the design and technical elements of theatre to create a more holistic program.

Until last year, I didn't really understand sound or costume design, and my understanding of scenic and lighting designs were utilitarian.  I'm beginning to imagine more detailed productions, and learning to communicate these visions more effectively.  During the summer we work on the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to implement design choices.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Clover Park High School
    Lakewood, Washington

• 9.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-28-2014 10:20
    If your friend wants to travel to the Northwest, there are two programs specifically designed for teachers. One of them is at Southern Oregon State University, walking distance from the home of the Oregon Shakespeare Festival. The other is at Central Washington State University, which is a 2-3 hour drive east of Seattle. Both of these institutions have programs specifically designed for teachers. ------------------------------------------- Warren Kerr Theatre Arts Teacher Auburn School District Auburn WA -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-28-2014 11:32
    I have found that the best compiled source is our own DRAMATICS College Guide. I read each college/univeresity's statistics, including degree offerings. Hooray for those institions that offer educational theatre as unndergrad and graduate degrees. I have a list of some institutions which offer the M.A, in Ed Theatre through summer study for anyone, particularly teachers who want to continue working and get a masters through summer course work. Feel free to contact me. ------------------------------------------- Gai Jones Ojai CA -------------------------------------------

• 11.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 07-28-2016 10:20

Do you still have this compilation that you're willing to share? I'm looking for a program that's primarily distance learning. I need to be able to minimize or delay the summer intensive portion because I have a young daughter at home, so I'm not ready to be away that long yet.

Thank you!

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 12.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-13-2018 07:55
    I'm in an MA program that has an optional summer recidency. You could also do just online courses. It's been really beneficial. I've gained directing, dialect, makeup, and writing skills. It's thought Regent University.

Sheryl Davis
    Secondary Language Arts/Drama Director
    Sanford NC

• 13.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-28-2014 14:27
    Central Washington University offers a summer intensive program for MA students or professionals looking to take courses for certification renewal. Not far from Seattle, so family visits are fun :)

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 14.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-29-2014 08:53
    If you live in the Washington, DC area, our Drama Department at The Catholic University of America offers an evenings-only Master of Arts in Theatre Education so that students can continue teaching or working as they study.

If you do not, we offer the same program as the "M.A.T.E. in Three Summers." Students take online classes and hands-on classes during 3 summers--two of which are spent on campus during the month of July.

A search for the CUA Drama Department will lead you to our web pages.
    I am happy to respond to any questions!

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD

• 15.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-29-2014 10:42
    In the spring 2014 issue of "Teaching Theatre," we profiled some half dozen programs and included our first directory of schools that offer graduate programs for theatre education.

The online link for the issue is: http://www.editiondigital.net/publication/?i=207804

Gregory Bossler
    Managing Editor
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH

• 16.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-30-2014 11:36
    Hello,

The link below is to a Masters in Arts in Directing from The Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University. 

It is a three summer program like the others, however you learn from working professionals in the Chicago Theatre scene.  Each week you see a professional show (tickets included in tuition) and often have talk backs with the director.  You do summer classwork on the shows you are producing the following year.  The thesis is a production at your school and your advisor comes to your town to view.  I wanted a program that is engaging and challenging and it did not disappoint.  It is designed for teachers and 95% of the persons in the program are active theatre teachers.  Feel free to contact Jerry Proffit he is the advisor and a great advocate for the program.

http://www.roosevelt.edu/CCPA/TheatreConservatory/Programs/Directing.aspx
    David Krudwig
    Theatre Teacher/Director/Producer
    Parkview High School (Springfield Public Schools)
    Ozark MO

• 17.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 09-30-2014 13:05
    It really depends on what your friend is looking to do in the end. If s/he is looking to get certified in theatre through the program, then several of the summer programs are not for that purpose.

Some well-known full-time theatre education programs are NYU-Steinhardt (MA in Theatre Education- also have joint programs to receive dual certification in English or Social Studies), University of Texas-Austin (an MFA in Theatre for Youth) and Arizona State University (MFA in Theatre for Youth). 

Of course there are other programs out there, but these are ones with a long-standing positive reputation.

Scott Wilson
    Ohio
    Columbus OH

• 18.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 10-01-2014 05:32
    Hello Grae,

I am responding about your question from a few days ago about Ed Theater recommendations with more information.  The choice of an Ed Theater program really depends upon needs and experience, I think.  That said, here are a few recommendations based upon my experience.

I graduated from City College of New York and I can recommend the program and also wanted to share the link to the program: http://www.ccny.cuny.edu/edtheatre/
    The program is great and was created by graduates of NYU Ed Theater.  

I have also done some coursework at NYU Educational Theater and got so much out of the courses for the semester that I was there that I continue to use and adapt from.  I just read that you can do dual certifications that another teacher posted about.  Id like to add, having done some research on it that the applicant might need to have thier undergraduate in the areas that they are applying for - for example, english undergraduate, or at least some coursework.

I hope that this information helps.

Carrie 

Carrie Isaacman
    Theater Teacher
    New York City Department of Education
    New York NY

• 19.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 10-01-2014 11:10
    The College of Charleston has a brand new Master of Arts in Teaching in Performing Arts. 
    Charleston, SC, is a great theatre town, with eight professional and semi-professional venues within walking distance of the campus, as well as the famous Spoleto and Piccolo Spoleto festivals and a strong, active theatre department.

http://theatre.cofc.edu/graduate-program/index.php

Arlene Hutton
    playwright
    New York NY

• 20.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 01-23-2017 11:51
    Just a heads-up to anyone still researching this topic -- I'm in my first class at Regent (online), and I don't like it at all. Do your research carefully if you're considering this program. Try to look at more complete course descriptions (and preferably syllabi) and see if they jive with what you're trying to learn and accomplish.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 21.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 07-29-2016 20:05

I have known a number of folks that went through and loved the program at Southern Oregon University. I know that Central Washington has something similar. I wish there was something similar available in Southern California.

Cory Finch
    Drama Teacher/ Director/ Advisor
    Vista Murrieta High School
    Murrieta CA

• 22.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-12-2018 08:52
    For everyone looking for additional theatre training and classroom practices. This isn't available for grad credit, but it is reasonably priced and looks very engaging. I'm planning to enroll.

2018 9-12 Theatre | Content Teaching Academy
    Jmu remove preview
    2018 9-12 Theatre | Content Teaching Academy
    The Theatre Academy will focus on theatre as a collaborative art through a series of hands-on workshops that explore acting, directing, devising, and dramaturgy. During the week, we will consider how to use drama and theatre pedagogies to build community, deepen skill development in the art form, and engage students through story.
    View this on Jmu >

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 23.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-13-2018 10:19
    I am currently an undergraduate student, however, the thought has crossed my mind every now and then. The three universities I knew of prior to seeing the replies on this discussion:

• Florida State University 
    • University of Northern Colorado
    • University of Houston 

All three have summer programs that will take 3 summers plus a couple of online courses based off the brief research I have been doing!

Brian Percival
    Emporia KS

• 24.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-16-2018 09:43
    I was in the first graduating class of the FSU summer program, if anyone has questions. I loved it!

Taylor Horne
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Jacksonville FL

• 25.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-22-2019 16:31

Hi Taylor,

I know you posted this response almost a year ago, but I am very interested in the FSU program (I'm in Thomasville, GA so Tallahassee is a very close drive.) 

How are the summers split up - and by that I mean is it all summer or more like a Maymester/Session system?
    How much was the program total?
    Did you find that it was too much to do on top of your normal teaching?
    How many people were in the program at one time?
    If I am already certified is the GRE mandatory?

Gabrielle McMullen
    Drama Director
    Thomasville GA

• 26.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-22-2019 22:30
    Our program can now be completed totally online. Our videoconference class meetings are the next best thing to being there!
    http://drama.cua.edu/graduate/mate.cfm

Rosalind Flynn
    Director, The High School Drama Institute
    Washington, DC
    drama.cua.edu/graduate/MATE
    drama.cua.edu/summer

• 27.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-23-2019 07:33
    There's also now an online MFA in Theatre Pedagogy from the University of Idaho. If anyone is interested, I can put you in touch with the program recruiter.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 28.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-24-2019 11:45
    Cassy,

I would be interested in this information!!! I currently have an MA in Arts Administration from the University of Kentucky, but would love to get a terminal degree in something in Theatre. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Katherine Gibson
    Strafford MO

• 29.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-24-2019 12:51
    Here's some information I got from the chair of the recruitment committee:
    https://vimeo.com/235945991/b929e5b0e6
    https://www.uidaho.edu/admissions/graduate/graduate-programs/theatre-arts.aspx

Course of Study for Distance-delivered MFA (Dramatic Writing, Directing, Pedagogy, Design & Technology)

The most unique program offered by the Department of Theatre Arts is the Distance-delivered MFA in Dramatic Writing, Directing, Pedagogy, Stage Management or Design & Technology.

About Distance Learning

The Distance-ed programs offers learners a far greater degree of flexibility in earning their MFA, however, it also requires students who are independent thinkers and learners. While the program offers a weekly schedule of classes in which the students participate in group discussions guided by an instructor, approximately two-thirds of the coursework is comprised of one-on-one tutorials with you Major Professor, and student-driven directed study on specialized topics selected in consultation with your Graduate Committee. Students enrolled in the program are responsible for their own learning. You will often be expected to spend time in private study, engaged in reading, research, problem-solving and project development. Your Major Professor provides structure, guidance and feedback, but much of the program's inherent flexibility comes from its students' ability to be active learners and autodidacts who can keep to a timetable and deliver assignments on time.

About the Master of Fine Arts in Theatre Arts (M.F.A.)

The Master of Fine Arts degree at the University of Idaho is a rigorous three-year, 60-72 credit degree designed for students wishing to prepare themselves for a career in the professional theatre. The MFA is also the terminal degree expected for individuals teaching at the university or college level. Degree tracks in areas of design, directing, performance, playwriting and technical production are built around specific curriculum categories and individual courses are selected by the candidate in consultation with his or her major professor. Student progress is monitored by portfolio review or performance jury each semester. Exit procedures for the program include a creative project and comprehensive exam.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Fishersville VA

• 30.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-23-2019 10:28
    Rosalind, how is it looking for a PhD in Theatre Education with your university? One which grants credits for years of teaching Theatre? One for which most of the courses can be taken online?
    I know several Theatre educators who enroll.
    Thank you

Gai Laing Jones
    Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net

Www.gaijones.com

• 31.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-23-2019 18:09
    Hi Gai, 
    Last June, our Drama Department went through a university-wide change and we went from being part of the School of Arts and Sciences to being a part of the new School of Music, Drama, and Art. Because of this transition and having a brand new Dean and all, I had to postpone a proposal of a new PhD. program.
    My plan is to revisit the idea this summer and I do appreciate any friendly nudges that anyone cares to give me!

Dr. Rosalind M. Flynn
    Educational Drama Specialist
    Drama Department

• 32.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-23-2019 10:40
    I went to the website and it seems that only the “Creative Drama Through Certificate” can be done 100% online. The MA requires summers, right?

“Even when the dark comes crashing through-
    when you need a friend to carry you-
    when you’re broken on the ground-
    you will be found.”
    -“Dear Evan Hansen."

Disario, Jodi
    Drama/English teacher and Director
    Willow Glen High School
    jdisario@sjusd.org
    www.msd.school

• 33.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 04-23-2019 18:05
    As of recently, the course requirements and availability of online courses have changed and yes, the M.A.T.E.  can be earned completely online.
    If you e-mail me at FLYNN@cua.edu, I will be be happy to send you an info-filled response that includes all the details.

Dr. Rosalind M. Flynn
    Educational Drama Specialist
    Drama Department

• 34.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 05-06-2019 12:57
    I am currently in my 2nd (and final) year in the University of Northern Colorado's Theatre Education Master's program.  I love it!  It is online throughout the year with a three week intensive during the summer.  I can't recommend it enough.

Janice Gabriel
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Newtown High School
    Sandy Hook CT

• 35.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 05-25-2020 11:42
    Hi Janice!

I see this is a year ago now, how did you end up liking the Univ. Northern Colorado program? I'm applying right now that one along with Adelphi's seemed the best fit for me. (online). 

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on it!

Thanks.

Rikky Fishbein
    River Edge NJ

• 36.  RE: Educational Theatre Masters Program

Posted 05-25-2020 11:45
    Hi community! 

I am applying to a few Educational Theatre M.A. programs and would love some feedback!  I'm honestly trying to find ones that are online right now, since given the pandemic + my work schedule, that works best. It seems like only Adelphi University and University of Northern Colorado provide that. (I know that UNCO has summers on campus) -- am I missing any? Has anyone come across any that they really recommend? I'm in NJ outside NYC so I've also considered the CCNY one if they have evening classes. 

Thanks!

Rikky Fishbein
    River Edge NJ