Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theatre Classroom Website

Posted 07-15-2015 13:30

Hello! 

I am looking to start a GoogleSites Website for my Theatre Classes. My goal is to have notes, assignments, scripts all available to the students.

I'm looking for a few examples on organization. Any help? 

------------------------------
    Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO

• 2.  RE: Theatre Classroom Website

Posted 07-15-2015 17:50

I'd try asking one of your students' for help. I'm not particularly techie savvy, so my kids are responsible for creating the ITS website we're adding to our program. They're usually pretty up on technology.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE:Theatre Classroom Website

Posted 07-15-2015 22:24

Alex, We use a learning management system (Haiku) and that is where I keep notes, assignments, scripts, and rehearsal materials since it is a secure environment. Our website is mainly for information on the current productions, history, and troupe information. You are welcome to check out our site and see how we have approached it. It is still a work in progress. www.mhsmusical.net Basically, I use Haiku for the students and the website for outreach. I would recommend, however, that you check out Weebly.com as an alternative to Google sites. I am much happier with the aesthetics of weebly and have found it easier to maintain. It might be worth exploring both a bit before sinking a great deal of time into either. 

-------------------------------------------
    Greg Franklin
    Bakersville NC

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 4.  RE: Theatre Classroom Website

Posted 07-16-2015 10:23

We use Haiku at my school as well. It's been awesome for me in keeping things organized, and the students informed.

A-men Rasheed
    Director of Theater
    Westminster School
    Simsbury CT

• 5.  RE:Theatre Classroom Website

Posted 07-16-2015 00:23
    I have been using weebly rather than google sites because it is much easier to design from, looks nicer, etc. However, my district server blocks weebly sites (why?) so, I'm switching over to google. If you want to take a look at my old site for ideas, it's falcontheatre.weebly.com

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 6.  RE: Theatre Classroom Website

Posted 07-16-2015 08:49

Hi Alex,

Take a look at Google Classroom.  Its really simple and serves as a good two-way communication tool. I post schedule, assignments, announcements and other notices and the students post their written assignments and feedback to me. 

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 7.  RE: Theatre Classroom Website

Posted 07-16-2015 10:20

Here is a pretty standard google site I have used with a community theatre-

https://sites.google.com/site/rosetownchittychittybangbang/home

Tom Krueger
    Minneapolis MN

• 8.  RE: Theatre Classroom Website

Posted 07-16-2015 10:50

Hi Alex--

I would also recommend Google Classroom. I started using it during second semester and I love it! It's easier than Google Sites, it looks really neat and clean which makes it easy for kids to navigate, it's secure, and it works seamlessly with other Google tools like Docs, Drive, etc. Here is a great, quick video that explains Classroom: Classroom 101

Hope that helps! Best of luck! :)

Jennifer Dinndorf
    Plymouth MN

• 9.  RE: Theatre Classroom Website

Posted 07-16-2015 11:43

Hunting Hills uses Google for both our Drama site and our Main stage show sites.

Here is the link to our Drama site - you can link from it to other webpages via the tabs at the top.

Hunting Hills High School Drama

Google is certainly easy to set up and edit and allows lots of material.  Adding sound clips is a bit of a process but there are lots of YouTube videos etc. to assist!

William Jacobsen
    Red Deer AB