Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical for Winter Ideas?

Posted 07-25-2017 13:55
    Hello All,

I have been looking for a musical for the winter at my all-girls high school. I had decided on "Fiddler..." to complement a comic play in the fall, but a nearby school is doing it as well. Hoping to get inspiration from all of you here. Looking for a musical with a bit of depth, that has a medium to large ensemble without a traditional male ingenue. We have already done Oliver, The Fantastiks, Happy Days, Once Upon A Mattress, The Pajama Game, Guys and Dolls, The Wiz, Nice Work If You Can Get It, 9 to 5, The Addams Family, and Finian's Rainbow.

And....Go!

--
    Jennifer Jordan
    Director of Theater & Dance
    Miss Hall's School
    413-395-7023

• 2.  RE: Musical for Winter Ideas?

Posted 07-26-2017 08:23
    Hi Jennifer,
    I did The Mystery of Edwin Drood a couple of years ago with lots of girls in pants roles, and it worked really well. The traditional male ingenue is meant to be played by a girl ("London's foremost male impersonator") and there are no other real love interests. There's a little bit of language and content, so you may need to talk to your administrator or see if Tams Witmark will let you make edits. The kids LOVED doing the show, especially polling the audience to vote for the murderer and playing out the different endings every night. Very challenging, but so much fun.

------------------------------
    Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 3.  RE: Musical for Winter Ideas?

Posted 07-26-2017 12:08
    Jennifer-

Have you considered "The Boy Friend"? It's very cheeky homage to the 1920's and takes place entirely at Villa Caprice and in an all girls school - Mme Dubonnet's School for Young Ladies. Largely girl cast with, of course, a few boys (one man plays Polly's father). Polly was Julie Andrews debut 1954 roll. Twiggy starred in a production several decades later. Doesn't require much set (mostly furnishings) and costumes are simple.
    I did it with 7 & 8th graders - they loved it.

Wayne Kischer

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Musical for Winter Ideas?

Posted 07-26-2017 23:40
    It is not a true musical but The Best Christmas Pageant Ever is a play with music - and an absolutely terrific holiday show for a diverse ensemble.

Bill Jacobsen
    Drama Teacher / Curriculum Leader
    Hunting Hills High School
    Red Deer Alberta

• 5.  RE: Musical for Winter Ideas?

Posted 07-27-2017 08:16
    The Boyfriend is one of my all time favorite musicals! Although be forewarned--the movie version is awful and initially had my tech director lobbying hard for me to do something else--anything else. When I announced it I made the kids promise first that they would NOT go out and YouTube it until after we finished it.(Those who waited said "You were right, Ms.T") And the script doesn't read particularly strongly either, but I had seen it done and knew that it plays much better onstage. It was a challenge in doing the over the top comedic moments and play them truthfully--which made it that much funnier. As a staff, my music director, choreographer and I don't remember ever laughing so much and so hard while working on a show. And the kids loved it too and had a blast working on it.

Sent from my iPad