Open Forum

View Only

Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

• 1.  Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-11-2014 14:34
    Good afternoon.

This past spring, I produced my first musical and the first musical at the school since 1961! I chose "Back to the 80's," and it was a hit. The community, parents, and students loved it. The school board gave us special recognition on what all we've done out here.

Now ... the kids want another musical. This is a good issue to have, but I feel limited. I have one or two strong males, loads of dedicated and strong females.

I'm still in the business of building my program and having the funds to produce a large-scale show. Any suggestions on a good follow-up show for the next go-round? 

I know my community, and the show needs to be upbeat, contain recognizable music.

Some ideas I'm kicking around are:

"High School Musical," Cheesy, yes, but it has recognition. Though, when I've seen it, it's usually a disappointment because it lacks the Disney bells and whistles.

"Bye, Bye Birdie"
    "The Music Man"
    "L'il Abner"
    "Annie Get Your Gun"

I don't have the diversity to pull off "Hairspray," we're a homogeneous student body here.

My ITS president would like to see us do "The Wizard of Oz" or "Seussical." I don't think I have the guy talent for "Wizard." What's an estimated cost to do "Seussical?" The costume rental and all looks quite extensive and expensive.

Anybody have smaller budget musicals that have done exceptionally well and had great student and community support?

Thanks!

-------------------------------------------
    Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron, IN

• 2.  RE:Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-11-2014 21:00
    I worked at a school with a teeny tiny budget and had similar needs to keep the community interested. (And did Back to the 80s with that group). I had great success with Willy Wonka and Zombie Prom. You could also go for Grease - yes it needs more than 1 or 2 boys, but they don't all need to be triple threats and I'd bet it would draw some more guys into your program because of the name recognition. Suessical is fun and can be done with fairly simplistic costuming and scenery. ------------------------------------------- Heather Brandon Bakersfield CA ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-11-2014 21:00
    Great to see you doing the first musical in over 50 years, that is really something. So you it looks like, from what you've said, two talented guys and a lot of girls Budget is somewhat limited Of the shows you've said Music man is a classic though you do need a few more good guy singers, same with Bye Bye Birdie. Abner is possible, Annie Get Your Gun is one show I do not know much about personally. Some quick questions What are you kids dancing skills? How good are you at more complicated sets? Do your top singers have a particular style they excel at? Some are better with the classics, some character, some pop, some rock. But off the top of my head from what you've said. Footloose if your students are strong dancers. Godspell is a good ensemble show. Little Women Addams Family and Big Fish are both recently released Good luck with your search. ------------------------------------------- Alan Strait Teacher CCSD Henderson NV -------------------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-12-2014 06:49
    I would recommend Footloose our High School did it a couple of years ago and it was a huge success. ------------------------------------------- Alan Kay -------------------------------------------

• 5.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-13-2014 14:13
    I did Seussical, it's not that expensive.   You can cast local elementary kids as whos/soldiers (which helps with ticket sales)   We kind of did a modern/alternative take on the costumes.  If you want ideas check out our facebook page Stansbury High School Drama.

Glen Carpenter
    Tooele UT

• 6.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-14-2014 15:43
    We just did "Seussical" this past year. No "animal costumes" or anything special. Everyone in the large cast wore a brightly colored t-shirt (I got most of them at Michael's crafts, for $3.99 apiece) and white painter's pants. I chose specific colors for the characters- Horton wore light blue; Maisie wore bright purple.  The only "iconic" Seuss piece that I used was the Cat's hat, inexpensive at a Halloween shop. I build cardboard props and scenery, designed and painted to look like those found in Dr. Seuss books. The only caveat that I will offer is that the music is copious and much more difficult than it seems. You need to have a really excellent musical director and a very committed cast. 
    "Bye Bye Birdie" is a much simpler show. Many of the costumes could be street clothes. You might need to rent or build some stuff for Conrad. The music is quite easy.  You could cross cast many of the leads.
    Some other thoughts- "Once Upon a Mattress", "Annie", "The Secret Garden", "The Boyfriend".  Some of these have costume demands, but you can creatively adapt most to cut costs.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 7.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-12-2014 14:41
    Seussical doesn't have to break your costume budget. I did it years ago using lots of hairband, wire andfabric remnants. Horton and the monkeys had ears glued to hairbands, Gertrude's tail was a collection of feather boas, tied together in one long rope that the cat pulls out of the back of Gertrudes dress, Yertle the turtle wore a green t-shirt and a snow coaster strapped to his back. The key is to include lots of bright colors. ------------------------------------------- Robert DiMartino Theatre Teacher Cumberland High School West Warwick RI -------------------------------------------

• 8.  RE:Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-12-2014 17:41
    Annie. Or Annie jr. ------------------------------------------- Roberta Lakavage Teacher Tarkington ISD Cleveland TX ------------------------------------------- Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 9.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-12-2014 21:11
    We did Seussical as our second musical in a new high school. It was amazing. I can not tell you how rewarding the show was, for the students and adults. Our community loved it. It has been four years now, and I still can't watch the video without getting emotional. The show works BEST, I think, when approached simply with the sets and costumes. It is about the characters and relationships. It COULD be a spectacle show, but it SHOULDN'T be. For example, I had the students bring in items for "rehearsal costumes." The only requirement was that it had to remind them of the character and help them get in character in rehearsal. My Horton brought in and wore a grey hat with long tassels that dangled down--vaguely reminescent of elephant ears. I kinda hated it--but it worked for him. And i ended up loving it. We made that had part of his costume, along with a grey baggy shirt, grey overalls, and grey boots. That was Horton. It is the best thing I have done professionally, hands down. ------------------------------------------- Josh Belk Director of Theatre Colorado Springs CO -------------------------------------------

• 10.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-13-2014 11:11
    Seussical is almost all singing, which is a lot to ask of kids who have one show under their belt, but if you have the singers (it sounds like Josh did) and a vocal director who is up for it, it's a great family show. Annie-Gun is like Fiddler for a female, but worse. She is in almost every number and she is basically the only female in the cast, it's very guy heavy. 

My male-light years have included Annie (Warbucks and Rooster are your talented boys. p.s. I did not bald my Warbucks and I got no complaints), White Christmas (talk about your well-known songs!) and Thoroughly Modern Millie (it's very Millie heavy but if you have a belter, you might consider it). 

Happy choosing!

Tiffany Carstensen
    Salem OR

• 11.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-14-2014 08:49
    I have been the resident costume designer/instructor at a 6-12 private school for ten years.  One thing I can say is, DON'T look at production photos for Seussical (or any other musical) -- let the students have input, sift through that, and use your own imagination.  Our director wanted the actors in shorts and polo shirts -- ick -- we ended up putting everyone in all black leotards/tights (ladies) or close-fitting yoga pants and tees (gentlemen), then adding the briefest of colorful touches over top.  (Color palette was the turquoise/tomato red/yellow of the traditional printing of Dr. Seuss' books.)  In our program, students do the actual design and construction, so the look was very simple and informal -- like that of a children's book.  The cast bought into it completely!
    Bird girls, Mayzie la Bird, and Gertrude were in simple satin sheath dresses with bits of feather boas for tails, feather wigs, lots of Vegas-type glam for Mayzie.  
    The younguns LOVE it when they have a bit of a voice in the design, rather than simply staging a re-do of someone else's ideas!
    Best of luck!

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 12.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-13-2014 15:27
    SEUSSICAL is a wonderful choice especially on a limited budget:  one costume, sets can be cartoon-like and flat, large-cast. It's fun, fast-moving, and whimsical. I was able to jump-start a non-existing high school drama program with this musical. I also brought in middle school students and some 5th and 6th graders to be "Hunches," "Fish," "Whos."  Let me know if you would like a copy of my complete set design and/or budget! sonjah@fuse.net

Sonja Hansen
    Producer, Director and Choreographer
    Choreography by Sonja
    Loveland/Cincinnati OH

• 13.  RE:Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-13-2014 23:20
    We did seussical the year before Back to the 80s. It was a great success. We saved money by renting the Cat outfit from a local tuxedo shoppe. They gave it to us for free. The soldiers were borrowed camo outfits from our Step team. We bought wigs. Jungle creatures-- each kid made their own costume- they created their own animals. Bird girls were simple dresses that our costume designers dolled up with feathers. Horton-- that was rented. We made all of the flowers with boas and pipes. The pool was a swimming pool. The set was large but one set. We dragged props out. Our Jojo was a girl. So we tried to conserve money where possible. It was a major hit with the community. If you donut, try to do a matinee. We did a meet n greet too with desserts so kids could meet characters and take pics. Kids ewe free with a paying adult. $5 per adult and our kids donated juice n desserts.

Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 14.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-14-2014 18:50
    We did Aida: School edition last fall and it was really well received (Tim Rice and Elton John). An easy way to limit budget costs is to avoid renting the costumes. We did original costumes based on (somewhat) historical accuracy. We put the boys in "skirts" which was a huge money save on fabric costs. I think we spent about $200 on costuming (Amneris was the most expensive and we found most of her stuff at Goodwill). ------------------------------------------- Shira Schwartz Chandler Unified School District Chandler AZ -------------------------------------------

• 15.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-19-2014 14:29
    Hi! First off congrats on an excellent first show. Now, how to continue the momentum? Even though it's not my first choice in shows, I would strongly push for THE MUSIC MAN. The recognition of the show will really bring people in, and it's really hard to mess it up. Easy sets, easy costumes--the hardest part other than making sure you have a charismatic HH is making sure you have a great quartet. If you don't, it's super fun (and community newsworthy), to get an outside quartet to STAR in your show. Tons of fun for all involved and your kids and audience will love it. Congrats. And best of luck! ------------------------------------------- Molly Grasso Nebraska Papillion-LaVista H.S. Papillion NE -------------------------------------------

• 16.  RE: Choosing a Good Follow Up Musical

Posted 07-21-2014 22:09
    I can't thank you all enough for the great feedback. I think we could possibly do "Seussical." I like the idea of "Music Man." You all have been a great resource. I'll be sure to bring some of these ideas up to my ITS/Drama Club officers when we meet next week and do some work on our season. Onward I go! Best, Jared ------------------------------------------- Jared Grigsby English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director MSD of Boone Township Hebron IN -------------------------------------------