Open Forum

View Only

Apps you can't live without?

• 1.  Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-07-2014 14:14
    Besides this new Community app (thanks EdTA), what are some other apps you use in your drama class or for productions that you can't live without? 1. Spotify: I have the paid subscription and I more than get my moneys worth. I use music from here almost daily in class, and it's brilliant when trying to decide on an upcoming musical production. 2. Evernotes: I keep all my production notes on here. I also keep my actor notes on here and then my actors can access them at any time. Love it! 3. Pintrest: Great for pulling design elements. Costumes and makeup particularly like this one. 4. Twitter: Hands down the best way to communicate with my students, cast, parent volunteers, etc. Oh, and it's a great way to collab with fellow teachers. 5. Google Docs: Great for schedules, handouts, etc. Okay, your turn. What else you got?

-------------------------------------------
    Sean Kifer

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE:Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-07-2014 14:29
    Sad that I'm replying to my own post, but I forgot a big one. 6. (really probably 2 or 3) iMovie: I use it to create promos for our shows, to publicize what I do in class, and my students use it to create projects. So easy and user friendly to make some quality stuff.

Sean Kifer

• 3.  RE:Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-08-2014 06:23
    Remind101 is a mass texting program designed for teachers. We use it every day and I can't imagine doing without it. I have feeds for each of my classes, clubs, and productions! I love that the kids really read it, unlike Facebook, which is on the decline among teens, from what I see.

Bob Ramseur

• 4.  RE:Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-08-2014 15:35
    I, too, use Remind 101 almost daily! A wonderful tool for getting the word out so they can't say "I forgot...."

Tonya Bowyer
    Drama Teacher
    Radford City Public Schools

• 5.  RE:Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-08-2014 19:28
    I've been thinking about Remind 101 for awhile. I'll have to check it out. You're right that Facebook is only for us "older" people anymore. There are no kids on there. That's why I use Twitter.

Sean Kifer

• 6.  RE:Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-08-2014 19:32

I too have been using Remind101 and find it to be a useful tool. I have found, however, that (1) not all my students opt in and (2) the program is not entirely without bugs.

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Akron Public Schools

• 7.  RE:Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-09-2014 08:52
    Remind 101 has made life much easier for me.  I hand it out to parents at back to school night as well so they can be in the loop if they so choose.  Its great for rehearsal schedule changes especially with the winter weather we have been having.   I tend to drag my feet with technology because I feel like by the time I master something, we are having a meeting about the next thing I am supposed to be using but this one was actually helpful.  

Kirstin Lynch-Walsh

• 8.  RE:Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-09-2014 07:48
    I was very excited about Remind101 last year, but our School System will not allow us to use it this year. They were concerned about the number of kids/parents who might not have unlimited texting. They were also concerned about the company and what they were doing with the personal information.
    We have been using edmodo instead - it is also a free program. The kids can sign up for texts if they would like to, but don't have to. You have a group code you can give out for individual groups. You can also subdivide large groups into smaller groups. You can post messages to individuals or groups. Parents can sign up to receive the information and monitor their child's account. You can upload files and links for the group or for individuals. There is also a document library - similar to google documents - for online storage. There is a moble app as well as the online program. I love it and use it every day.

Michelle Leary

• 9.  RE:Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-09-2014 12:26
    I'll mention a couple of software applications that aren't the cheapest, but can be super useful. 

Virtual Callboard - http://www.virtualcallboard.com
    This is a comprehensive production app that organizes everything you can imagine for your production. Schedules, costume fittings, individual student/actor scheduling, contacts, etc. 

Stage Write Software (for iPad only) - http://www.stagewritesoftware.com/Stage-Write-App.html
    This is a terrific app for dealing with large groups of people in planning your staging. It was created by Susan Stroman's assistant, whose job it is to set the multiple companies of her shows. He created a simple system for creating very clear diagrams for staging. Similar to the football plays we see in a playbook, or those for marching bands. This also has available modules for more in-depth aspects of directing scenes and songs.

I love this discussion. Its great to see teachers/directors get wired in their production approaches. 

Joe Deer
    Head, BFA Musical Theatre Program
    Wright State University

• 10.  RE:Apps you can't live without?

Posted 02-08-2014 08:17
    These are good.

I am looking for an online tool similar to Evernotes I can use to privately post notes, facilitate notes, and possibly email members of the production team all at the same time. there has to be something. 

Mark A Zimmerman
    Theatre Director
    Akron Public Schools

• 11.  RE: Apps you can't live without?

Posted 04-06-2018 13:30

I'm reviving an old thread to see what folks are using now.

Here are my go tos:

Group Me: has replaced Remind 101 because it allows students to talk to one another. We create groups for shows, for classes, for field trips. 

Trello: free web-app that helps me organize EVERYTHING. 

Scribd: has been totally worth the subscription for the number of scripts that are available. Not everything by any means, but a LOT of published scripts are there.

Here's my holy grail though: Accounting software! I HATE the time I spend budgeting and tracking who's paid what. What do you use to keep all of this under control? I know about Charms, but its expensive ($300+ a year) and at least as of 2 years ago the interface was not user friendly at all.

------------------------------
    Ashley Bishop
    Director
    Birmingham AL

• 12.  RE: Apps you can't live without?

Posted 04-07-2018 13:42
    Mine:

Group Me - I can't tell you how much work goes on between students outside of class on Group Me. We have a film production class, and call sheets are updated daily on group me by my students. 

Google Classroom/ Docs/ etc. - Also great for submitting assignments, collaborating on scripts, etc. Again, so much work happens outside of class, we can concentrate on the non-paper stuff in class.

Final Cut Pro/ Logic/ Motion - Got the educator's discount on these as a package. Video editing with Final Cut is incredible. imovie will work for the basics, but if you want something professional looking, Final Cut works wonders. Logic for sound effects/ music editing. No need for worrying about copyrighted music when you can create your own. Finally, my new favorite toy, Motion. Create video graphics and special effects in film. My first attempt: Grady Drama Logo Too much fun.

Jake Dreiling
    Atlanta GA

• 13.  RE: Apps you can't live without?

Posted 04-07-2018 18:26
    I'm a fan of Basecamp, which I used throughout college as our connect with both actors and production staff.  It is free for educators.  You can write posts, have shared notes, have a calendar of events and deadlines, upload research and posts (including live documents, like Google Docs).

Sydney Thiessen
    Fine & Performing Arts Coordinator and Technical Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 14.  RE: Apps you can't live without?

Posted 04-08-2018 13:01
    We use Basecamp, too.

The problem I have encountered is if one vital member of the group refuses to use it the whole thing falls apart.

<sigh>

--
    Mark A. Zimmerman
    Theatre Director,

Firestone High School
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

330-761-3275

FirestoneTheatre.com

• 15.  RE: Apps you can't live without?

Posted 04-12-2018 14:13
    We have been using a phone app called BAND.  It connects all cast/crew/parents to one group.  Kind of like a private group that can send announcements, notes, and calendar events.    Great App. 

We have also been using celtx.com for playwriting.  It allows for groups to work together on their scripts. 

Also, I am working on developing a prop, set, costume sharing platform.  Currently, it is in its infancy and only open to So. California theatre companies, but it is a way to post props and costumes that your theatre programs have and rent to other local programs.  It is a way to raise money for your programs using the things you already have and are not currently using. 
    check out www.theatre4u.org

Robert Zick
    Theatre Teacher
    Anaheim CA

• 16.  RE: Apps you can't live without?

Posted 04-16-2018 23:03
    Very cool concept! I'd use it!

Taylor Horne
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Jacksonville FL

• 17.  RE: Apps you can't live without?

Posted 04-15-2018 19:12
    I wish there was a place where these apps could be listed instead of having to rake through these posts.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 18.  RE: Apps you can't live without?

Posted 04-16-2018 08:04
    If someone wants to send me a full list, or i will find the time to weed, I will add it to my site.

Dan Mellitz
    Technical Director
    St Andrews School
    Barrington, RI
    Www.techiegreenroom.com

• 19.  RE: Apps you can't live without?

Posted 04-16-2018 13:56
    We started one! This is probably a little outdated now, but it's a Google doc, so anyone can feel free to edit or add new ones as you see fit.
    Theatre App List
    Google Docs remove preview
    Theatre App List
    Sheet1 App Name, Apple, Android, Price, Website, Description Coach' s Eye, X, X,$ 4. 99, http:// blog. coachseye. com/ getting-started/, Originally created for sports, allows user to record rehearsal or performance for review. Scene Partner, X,$ 4. 99+, https:// www. scenepartnerapp. com/, He...
    View this on Google Docs >

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY