Open Forum

View Only

Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

• 1.  Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-07-2016 09:29
    To the Noblest Professionals in the world,

I've been invited to teach a workshop next week at the Utah Theatre Association State Conference.  The topic of my workshop is "Why and How to Become a Theatre/Drama Teacher".  I'd like to hear from you as a teacher 1) "WHY" you became a Theatre/Drama teacher? and 2) What was your journey (where you went to college, the type of program the school offered, your recommendations, etc.)?  I need some quick responses as I'm building the workshop NOW.  I'm hoping to excite and invigorate the future generation of Theatre/Drama teachers.  Thanks for helping me do that!
    Best,
    Russ

--
    Russ Saxton
    Dixie High School
    350 East 700 South
    Saint George, Utah 84790
    (Cell)  435-632-9241
    (School)  435-673-4682
    Please note my e-mail has changed
    russ.saxton@washk12.org

• 2.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-08-2016 06:46
    When I was in high school I took/did theatre. I knew that I had a passion for theatre, but I also knew that I didn't want to be a professional actress. My parents were teachers, so I thought being a theatre teacher was awesome...also I loved my own theatre teacher. I was a teacher cadet and did my service with her and loved it. However, when I graduated I had this weird moment. I wanted job stability no wanted to please my parents so I went to college and got a business degree with a marketing minor. I worked in marketing for ten years. I got further from the theatre during this time. Then when I had my son I had a little epiphany - I needed to be doing something I loved to set an example for him. I ended up getting my MAT through the university of South Carolina. Peter Duffy is the program director there. I can't say enough good things about the program. I loved my time there. Peter graciously worked with me, a new mom, with a full time job. It was amazing. And now I am here.

Sent from my iPad

• 3.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-08-2016 07:55

It was in high school that I declared I would never be a theatre teacher because that was the path for failed actors, which I was determined not to become. 

Life happened, I got into a lot of mess, was going places, but I made some pretty intensely stupid decisions. I went into English teaching, transitioning from bar management work and adjusting to being married to an amazing wife who helped me to mature immensely. Initially we didn't want to teach theatre, as we had a young family when I started teaching, and we understood theatre to be time consuming. 

After four years of teaching English, I was so ready to quit teaching altogether, but God smiled and decided that maybe I was (just) mature enough and that our family was in the right place for me to teach theatre in high school. I was grateful for the Masters degree in Advanced Theatre Practice, as that meant I was 'qualified' (aside from my real world experience). I am happy to report that it was the best decision ever. My family is at just the right point, so that they are involved with most of our productions in some way. 

I jetisoned my childish idea of what being a theatre teacher meant. Realizing that to make it that one has to make many sacrifices, know many connected people, and a great degree of luck, I understand now that the theatre class is not all about everybody 'making it'. Definitions of success vary incredibly; as an adult, I can see that maybe 5 out of my 200+ students have a chance to 'make it', but I've got another 195 students who are going to grow and develop only because of the skills, confidence and competence that theatre classes give. Which makes this one of the best jobs in the world; other than being an executive director of a producing theatre company, where else are you able to create and produce (and occasionally act) year round? In three years, I've directed more shows than I did in 15! 

I think this answers your question, at least part ways. Good luck with he presentation! Sorry about the typos/autocorrect errors; I'm having to interact with EDTA on my phone as the district is currently treating the site like a social media site and is blocking posting to discussions! Sigh. 

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-08-2016 11:28

I kind of fell into teaching theatre. I ended up majoring in theatre after choosing not to work in the dance department (they were into post-modern at the time which I REALLY do not like) because I wanted to do something with the performing arts and I didn't really like music (and I can say that because I played 4 instruments growing up). It took less than 1 semester for me to fall in complete love with it. 

I knew I either wanted to be a teacher or an attorney before I finished my undergrad. I had been teaching at my ballet studio since I was 16 and decided to spend some time working in the court system to see if law was the direction I wanted to go. Less than a year later I was getting my Master's in Education and was double-certified in Dance and Theatre.   :)

I spent my first year teaching English and Film Studies before moving to a different school to run the dance department. Eventually I ended up at the school where I currently teach and was able to move from running a dance department to a theatre department... and 8 years later here I am.  :D

I, personally, find running a theatre department more invigorating than a dance department. The passion that the students demonstrate is so much fun to watch. They get so excited to try new things and push their own abilities. When you add the excitement of getting cast in a show (especially one outside of school) and how happy they are to tell you about it, it's so inspiring. Knowing that these kids have more confidence in themselves and are better prepared to handle "real life" because of skills they acquired in class is the best reward.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-08-2016 12:13

In high school I had an inspiring theatre teacher/director. He cast me in roles that challenged me intellectually, physically, emotionally, etc. He allowed me to direct two of our mainstage productions. I experienced the thrill of directing my peers and enjoying our productions from such a different perspective. I attended UCLA as a theatre major, acted in a number of plays and directed a couple of one-acts there. Every summer I worked with young students in a theatre camp setting, leading improvisation games and serving as an assistant to the director. After a few years of touring children's theatre in California (which also included teaching in summer programs), I went back to UCLA for my MFA in Acting. I knew I would always be an actor, but I wasn't sure if I could handle the consistent job hunt and uncertainty of receiving the next paycheck. I knew I didn't want to wait tables and I knew I wanted stability. While in Grad School I was fortunate to be hired part-time as a Performing Arts Assistant at a local high school with a strong theatre program. As luck would have it, the year I received my degree, the theatre teacher moved to another school. I was in the right place at the right time. 17 years later, although I am now at a different school, I still look forward to coming to work everyday. My students inspire me to work hard, although most days don't feel like work at all. Except maybe tech weeks.

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 6.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-08-2016 14:46

Teaching certainly wasn't my original intention, though I had two excellent theater teachers (and at least one very bad one) in my upbringing.

But about six years ago I started a community theater company with my wife, in a small town with no theater program in the schools, and no theater of any kind for 60 miles in any direction. The demand for theater in school started to rise, and in truth, I have found that the main difference between teaching theater in school, and working with young people in community theater shows and workshops, is that teaching is a steadier paycheck and has a better retirement program. I've come to love it.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 7.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-08-2016 15:58

I started doing community theatre when I was in high school. I didn't want to be a teacher at that time. I did several plays and then decided that I wasn't good enough, nor did I have the competitive spirit necessary for professional theatre, so I had better grow up and get on with life. I majored in German and then decided that perhaps teaching was OK. Finished the credential, taught briefly, went into office management when jobs weren't available, got married, had kids and stayed home with them. At no time during these years did my passion for theatre go away. When my kids were in elementary school I wrote and directed a Christmas play so they would have some memories. This caused my daughter to get interested in performing, so I worked with a local youth theater so she could do it. When she was in high school the district reassigned the gentleman who was the drama coach. I volunteered to finish the play. The next year they hired me part time. I got my theater credential after that and have been teaching since (15 years now) and would prefer never to anything else.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 8.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-09-2016 07:55

More concisely about how I got the position I currently have:

1) one drama teacher left, felt sure I would be asked. They hired someone from outside to take it. I was crushed and thought 'well I don't want to do it anyway meeerehhh'

2) the replacement lasted one year

3) I was brought into the department head's office. She told me I was doing drama because they didn't want to hire from outside, and I was the only only certified to teach it. 

4) I said 'All right, then.'

5) I lived happier-ly ever after

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Ruskin FL

• 9.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-09-2016 16:05

I wasn't allowed to take Drama in High School; when I went to college, my parents still wouldn't let me: "It isn't an occupation for a nice Jewish girl!"  Since I had known at an early age that I wanted to be a teacher, I majored in English Teaching with a minor in Theatre.  I did so many shows that the department thought I WAS a Theatre major!  My junior year, most of my English education were such a disaster that I requested to student teach Drama.  When I was told "NO!" I said that I wouldn't be a teacher then! (I was the first time I had stood up for myself!)  I did my student teaching in Drama. After moving to CA, I was told that I had to have 2 more classes post BA (never mind that I had graduated with 18 extra units); so I decided to work on my MA in Theatre. Luckily, when I interviewed for my first teaching position, it was Drama and English.  If I could have ditched the English classes, I'd probably still be teaching!!

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 10.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-10-2016 07:41

Here is an interesting quote you can use:

The Spanish Composer Pablo Casals writes: “What do we teach our children in school? We teach them that two and two make four and that Paris is the capital of France. When will we also teach them what they are? We should say to them: ‘Do you know what you are? You are a marvel. You are unique. In the entire world there is no other child exactly alike. In the millions of years that have passed there never has been a child like you. And look at your body – what a wonder it is: your legs, your arms, your cunning fingers, the way you move. You may become a Shakespeare, a Michelangelo, a Beethoven. You have the capacity for everything. Yes, you are a marvel.’”

You notice he doesn't say they may become a doctor, lawyer, or scientist....they are all artists.  Artists make us see the world in a different light.  They give us insights into ourselves, our politics, our relationships.  We touch those students that may not be the best student in other classes...or the student that needs a different creative outlet not offered in music, art, or creative writing.

Vickie Fuller
    Yardley PA

• 11.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-10-2016 20:31

Thank you to those of you who have responded to the Post.  Your responses are inspiring.  Thank you for sharing your stories!  Please keep them coming.

Russ

Russell Saxton
    Drama Teacher
    Washington County School District
    St George UT

• 12.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-11-2016 13:40

I was a "problem teen" who really struggled with making healthy connections with other people. A wonderful theatre teacher (Larry Smith, GA) invested his time into me and helped set in motion the beginning of a life-long passion.

I traveled with a repertory theatre throughout the US and spent some time working for the Mouse. I married a stage manager (best planned wedding you ever saw) and we both enrolled in college in our late 20s and 30s. I directed gig to gig, and while I was creatively fulfilled, personally I was still feeling "empty". My life up till that point had felt very transient after living on the road, so on a whim I applied at a school for a theatre teaching job. I fully expected them to hire someone "qualified" with a teaching degree, so I jumped into a production of Ragtime in Orlando only to get a call a month later with an interview request, followed by a job offer.

6 years later, I have never been happier. The funny part is that it has nothing to do with the creative element of the position for me. Being the catalyst to encourage a young man or young lady to embrace themselves and move forward in life: that's what I was looking for. Without intending to sound preachy or anything, I spent a lot of time attempting to serve myself, and found that what I was really searching for was a way to serve others.

Thanks to all my theatre teachers who modeled that for me long ago!

Joseph Strickland
    Athens GA

• 13.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-12-2016 11:34

I fell into teaching entirely by accident. I had been working as a professional actor and stage manager for a decade when someone offered me a teaching job which would require canceling my audition with SETC. It was a huge decision, but when I said yes to the teaching job, that little voice in my head said, "YES." I took the job (it was supplementary education), went back to school for my M.Ed., landed my first full time teaching job, and at the end of that first year in my new life of English teacher, I was given the theatre department. Yes, GIVEN. The theatre teacher at the time wanted to focus on his own theatre company and his program was dying, so I took over. Needless to say, I was ecstatic! I thought I'd have to wait a long time before inheriting this position! This is now my 14th year as theatre director, and my first as full-time theatre teacher with no other classes and I wouldn't change a thing.

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 14.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-12-2016 11:57

I've always been a ham and knew from a young age that I loved performing and working on shows.  In college, I was a theatre major and was on the path to be a working actor when I took a directing course.  There was something about that course and taking words on a page and creating something that just ignited something in me. I saw for the first time the process of theatre from start to finish, and I knew that's what I wanted to do...create theatre!  I thought about a job where I could do theatre every day and remembered my high school theatre teacher.  He taught me so many fundamentals and I dove into taking courses that would prepare me to teach high school theatre. My professors, my family and friends thought I was CRAZY!  They said I would never find a job and that I should "just teach English" instead.  

After a year of "just teaching English", I stumbled into the greatest job ever!  I am a full-time theatre teacher and I get to do what I love every day!  I get to see students get passionate about theatre and I get to witness that spark when they "get" an exciting element in a play.  We experience each other's artistic growth and evolution.  They trust my crazy ideas, and I trust them to work hard and believe in their instincts.

Yes, the hours are LONG and the emotional and creative demands are extensive and draining.  BUT, as cliche as is seems, the payoff is totally worth it.  And, we are in a time where theatre and the skills we teach are so crucial to young minds.  We teach how to engage, pay attention, use our minds to solve problems, work together, and live in the moment- not through a screen.  We work with real emotions, human touch, and preserving humanity.  How glorious and utterly necessary!

So many of my friends hate going to work, and I GET TO GO to work!  I couldn't picture myself doing anything else.  

Lisa Dyer
    Henrico VA

• 15.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-13-2016 10:25

Looking at these answers, I guess I'm in the minority. I wasn't a professional actor, nor did I want to be. However, I loved theatre and have been involved in theatre since 6th grade. Before I got involved, I knew I always wanted to be a teacher. I guess it's because there's a long line of teachers in my family. I just didn't know what I wanted to teach. Someone said that if you want to be happy you have do pick a career that you enjoy and love. So why not put two of my loves together? So I did and here I am! Of course, I also teach social studies because my school district doesn't have 100% theatre classes for me but I take what I can get. The theatre classes and afterschool program is what drives me as a teacher. There's nothing like theatre students who you get to know so well, have fun and create with them, listen and help with their life, and watch them grow into adults...again, there's nothing like that. We're a special kind of teacher, quirky maybe, but definitely one of a kind who get to experience that. That's why I'm a theatre teacher. 

Sara Danke
    Wisconsin Rapids WI

• 16.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-14-2016 10:49
    My story is similar to Sara's.  I always loved and was involved in theatre.  I never wanted to be a professional actor.  I studied all aspects of theatre for both my BA and MA.  I did think that my ideal job would be to be an artistic director of a regional theatre ... but really what I loved most was being a summer camp counselor (for about a decade).

I interned for a regional theatre, and toured with their education department doing workshops in schools.  I loved talking to the teachers, and hated that in a one hour workshop I never really got to know the kids.  How much impact can you have in an hour?  How much more if you saw those kids on a regular basis?  That's when I realized that I wanted to be a theatre/drama teacher.  

And of course, selecting and directing/producing shows, choosing my own curriculum, organizing the (mostly parent) personnel, motivating kids, getting to know kids, teaching  ... there are some definite similarities to being an artistic director and to being a summer camp counselor.  Best of both worlds - for 20 years now and still loving it.

• 17.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-14-2016 10:31

i started performing when I was maybe 8. My school didn't have a theatre program so I was in band and choir. My family moved to a small town in Kentucky when I was in middle school (again no theatre) but they had a community theatre. It wasn't until I was in high school that I auditioned for my first play. I went to support friends but the director saw something in me and asked me to read to "help her out". She cast me in the show and I was hooked. After high school I went to U of L to study vocal performance and after my first semester in college I understood that I needed to do some growing up before college. So, I dropped out got a grown up job and started acting as much as I could with that same community theatre. I co pelted their directing apprenticeship program and at 22 became one of the youngest directors they had ever had. 

I wanted more...a lot more, but even in small town Kentucky there were folks who liked to crush dreams and pretend they are better than you are. To prove to myself that I had what it took I auditioned for AMDA, a school my doubters had tried and failed to get into, and was accepted with a big fat scholarship! I didn't go. I wanted a degree and they only offered performance certificates at the time. So I went college hopping until I found the place for me. I went to community college, Western Kentucy University (great theatre program), and finally landed at Austin Peay State University (the right college for me) and haven't looked back. 

My last year at the Peay I was talking to my advisor and dance professor about graduate school and he asked me what I wanted to focus on as a graduate student...I had no idea. I thought back and one moment popped into my head. That moment when Karen Willis, the director at that little community theatre saw something in me and gave me a chance I didn't know I wanted. I went back and told him I wanted to work in children's theatre. 

After some research I found a handful of programs that offered an MFA in theatre for youth (University of Hawaii, University of North Carolina Greensboro, Univeristy of Texas Austin, and Arizona State Univeristy) I applied to all but Texas (not the place for me) and accepted an offer from ASU! What an amazing choice. I learned and collaborated with amazing artists from around the world, Have gotten opportunities that I never thought possible, and have since worked with theatre companies and artist from around the country and world. 

Once I graduate I went back to Tennessee and did a great amount of work with Nashville Children's Theatre and began to adjunct at Middle Tennessee State University and Nashville State Community College. One day I got a call from a friend who told me to apply for a job at the high school I graduated from. They finally got a theatre program and we're looking for a teacher to run a program with a new state of the art facility. Now I didn't have a teaching certificate because my intention was never to teach high school but I applied anyway. I sent in my CV, a wonderful cover letter, and glowing letters of recommendation and when the school made their selection they hired a gym teacher who "directed plays at her church" and had a minor in theatre instead. I was crushed and for the longest time whenever I received a rejection letter for a job I would tweet out the hashtag #IShouldHaveBeenAGymTeacher 

I didn't let this stop me. I kept working. Went to the UK and worked with Rose Bruford College and Oily Cart and got a Certificate in Theatre for Young Audiences for Youth with Complex Disabilities, worked with a local TYA company, directed and published as much as I could, and then my time came!

i was doing my daily job application ritual (I spent 2 hours a day looking for and applying for jobs) and happened across a high school theatre teaching position. The post literally just went up when I clicked on the employment opportunities link. I had learned a couple of tricks along the way and emailed the principal directly. I sent her my cover letter, CV, and references and got a response back within an hour. A week later I was at the school for the interview and asked to join the faculty! 

My road to certification is still underway. I'm working with a local university to earn my full teaching certificate (currently, I teach on a transitional certificate). I have a wonderful and supportive administration who understand the importance of arts education and I couldn't be happier. 

I never intended to be a high school theatre teacher. While there are days that are difficult and stressful, I couldn't imagine doing anything else. 

W. Riley Braem, M.F.A.
    Theatre Teacher
    Northwest High School
    Clarksville, TN

• 18.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-15-2016 07:46

At 9, I did the traditional Christmas play at my church. I knew all my 6 lines and where to stand, but I was so afraid of being seen that I hid my face behind the veil of my costume. Looking at pictures later, I was disgusted with my self. (Yes, even at age 9) I couldn't believe I had worked so hard on my lines and at practice to look so stupid. I decided that never again would I hide. If I was going to be a character, I was going to BE that character. I started turning my favorite stories into plays to act out with my sister and our dolls. I spent the whole year practicing until the next church play, where I earned a bigger part and in performance, I stole the show. The audience reacted to me and I enjoyed the rush. By the next year I was the lead in the church play and by age 13, I wrote the annual Christmas play. I had found my world. The problem was that I knew I didn't want to be an actor, so I thought my theatrical endeavors were only year-to-year at church (and the one play I talked my 6th grade history teacher into, where I got to play Cleopatra). We had no community theater and my school had no drama dept. I didn't even know a drama teacher existed until 9th-grade. I had known I wanted to teach since 3rd grade, inspired by a tough, but understanding teacher who had helped me in a very dark time in my life. One day, a junior asked me at school to sign a petition to hire a drama teacher. I was thrilled to discover a way to combine my chosen career with my great passion. I knew that was it. I would be a drama teacher. I would do plays the rest of my life, but with students whom I could help come out from behind their own veils and find a world of acceptance and value. After ten years as a teacher, I have seen many students do just that. My students have gone on to become lawyers, journalists, doctors, teachers, nurses, and preachers. (No actors, yet, but that's ok, too) And I'm proud of them. And very, very grateful that an awkward and nerdy little girl never gave up.

Chelsea Petty
    Columbus MS

• 19.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-17-2016 13:29

Just dumb luck; or a lifelong trajectory? You decide. I had acted since early childhood, and written plays starting in 5th grade. My undergraduate studies were at Vassar, in the days when Meryl Streep had recently passed through and was just becoming a screen phenomenon, so there was great excitement in the Drama department; but I only dabbled in the department and majored in English, writing a play as my thesis.

I migrated to NYC along with everyone else and worked as a "production assistant" (a.k.a. "go-fer") at Lincoln Center and in Broadway offices, meeting agents, writing another play, attempting to market my best work, to no avail. Eventually I went to the MFA program in playwriting at the University of Washington, under the direction of M.E. "Betty" Comtois, who boasted Lillian Hellman, Meredith Wilson, and Bill Mastrosimone amongst the writers whose original works she had helped nurture. Seattle Director Burke Walker was at UW, as was Meisner protegé Jack Clay; director Daniel Sullivan was a regular guest just before he moved to New York, so I studied with them all.

Fast forward a decade and I am living on an island 80 miles north of Seattle, raising a family and running a summer camp for a living. I am invited into my children's alternative k-5 classroom and asked to "do some drama" with them. What started as parent volunteer hours exploded into the most popular "course offering" in the school; so much so that I had to remove it from the school and co-found a non-profit theater company before irate parents dismantled the alternative classroom (which eventually they did) because their children "could not get in."

In a couple more years I quit my "day job" to promote my plays and adaptations of Shakespeare full time, but almost immediately started substitute teaching in order to make ends meet. Very soon I was invited back into the school as a part time teacher, to create a drama program. I was offered more and more classes, so eventually became a teacher full time. Our school is tiny and has no facility for theater, but I teach two Drama courses annually along with English, and I still run the non-profit Community Shakespeare Company outside of school and run an after-school drama club. There is so little in the way of performance space where I live that everything we do is with "two planks and a passion," converting restaurants, museum spaces and a community center into theaters, then dismantling all after production. It is mind-boggling, exhausting, frustrating, highly creative, exhilarating, and deeply rewarding.

So, "why?" you ask? Because it's there? Because as you state, it is the "noblest of professions?" The camaraderie I feel with theater teachers is unlike any professional relationship I have ever known. We all realize what we offer to students, and against all odds in this country and its educational system - with little recognition and less understanding of what we do from school administrators or the general public - we get up and go do it every day.

"The world will little note nor long remember what we say here," but our students never forget what we do, nor how it impacts their lives. It is a rare privilege to be a theater teacher. Thank you for asking.

Richard Carter
    Author/Director: Community Shakespeare Company;
    MS/HS Teacher, Lopez Schools
    Lopez Island, WA

• 20.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-15-2016 08:29

Theatre saved my life.

I got into Theatre accidentally. I had a great English / Latin teacher in high school, who also happened to be the Drama teacher. One day, in class, he asked for backstage help. My entire thought process was, "Like him. Want to help, What could it hurt?" A year later, I was in the throes of major depression and actively considering suicide. Working on a show pulled me out of it. I realized I was hooked when I went to college for a different major and only lasted about six months before crawling back to my old Theatre teacher and begging to work on a show. My parents wouldn't pay for a Theatre degree unless I got teaching credentials with it. So . . . I graduated with a BFA and a teaching certificate. I decided I might as well get some use from the certificate and that led to two years in the classroom. I also wanted to be available to students, like myself, who so desperately needed the support and success offered by the arts. Administrative friction led to my leaving and then I chose to go to graduate school. Three years and an MFA later, I was back in the classroom. It's been a great run and I'm close to retiring now. I know the old cliche about it being the "hardest job you'll ever love," but it's true. I once told my old Theatre teacher, "I'm teaching high school . . . and it's your fault." I don't know where my life would have gone had I not made that decision, but I'm so glad I did.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    James Madison High Shool
    Vienna VA

• 21.  RE: Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher

Posted 01-18-2016 20:19

THANK YOU all for your brilliant responses to "Becoming A Theatre/Drama Teacher".  My workshops was a success due in part to sharing your stories and journey.  What a privilege to be your colleague.  Thank You.

Best,

Russ

Russell Saxton
    Drama Teacher
    Washington County School District
    St George UT