Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Into the Woods, Jr- How to direct a show that didn't actually have a happy Ending?

Posted 08-09-2017 17:15

Hi everyone,

I have been researching "Into the Woods" as I would like to direct the MTI Junior version of this show in the Spring.  I wanted to ask others who have directed this version a question: Is it best to direct it as a "stand alone" happily ever after show or should I still consider Act 2 details to help inform the character choices?  We know the Jack's mom loves Jack, because she hides him from the Giantess and stands up to her in Act 2. In the Junior version, we mostly see a naggy, unhappy, I "wish my kid wasn't foolish" parent.  She is pretty grumpy.  Do I show a glimpse of the darkness of the characters (the stuff we see in Act 2?) or keep it "happily ever after?"

I appreciate your thoughts.

Ginny

• 2.  RE: Into the Woods, Jr- How to direct a show that didn't actually have a happy Ending?

Posted 08-10-2017 00:03
    I say let the performer decide. Let her come up with her motivation and subtext. You want the character to be layered and complex, so she certainly shouldn't be portrayed as just mean and grumpy, but whether you need Act 2 to inform Into the Woods Jr. is almost superfluous. Read through the script you're using and decide what they need to know to inform the work they are doing. Having your students do character bios might be even more beneficial so you get a sense of their understanding of the characters.

------------------------------
    Hugh Fletcher
    Performing Arts Coordinator
    IS 229 Dr. Roland Patterson Middle School
    Roosevelt NY

• 3.  RE: Into the Woods, Jr- How to direct a show that didn't actually have a happy Ending?

Posted 08-10-2017 14:12
    Hello,

I directed Into the Woods Jr. in 2010, and honestly of the four junior versions of shows I have directed (Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, and Alice in Wonderland, being the others), it is my least favorite.  As you have noted, it is basically the first act only.  I think it is obvious that there is much more to the show, and I found it a bit dark even with just the first act, so I am not sure the first act alone is strictly "happily ever after."  Based on my experience,  I think bringing in some of the act 2 attitudes would work.  

Hope your show goes well whatever you decide,

Ken Robinson

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 4.  RE: Into the Woods, Jr- How to direct a show that didn't actually have a happy Ending?

Posted 08-10-2017 17:27
    As a  stand alone, do you mean just doing Act I?  I have only done the full version (twice), but I would think that the whole point of the production is showing us that "happily ever after" doesn't always happen, and that our actions have definite consequences, and that those consequences affect more than just our own little corner of the world.  To me, without that aspect of the show, it becomes "just another fairy tale".  Show the consequences.  That's my opinion, for what it is worth.

Cary Shapiro
    Ankeny IA

• 5.  RE: Into the Woods, Jr- How to direct a show that didn't actually have a happy Ending?

Posted 08-10-2017 18:06
    Depends on why you're choosing the Junior version. We did it, and we chose Junior because 1) we could not make 'live orchestra' work and needed a version with tracks, and 2) we were playing to elementary kids in a conservative part of the world, and thought the fairy tale part of the story was enough. I didn't want teachers to have to answer the dark questions from kindergarteners and first graders. Happy endings are good, and the music in the show is good. I'd suggest not alluding to the darker themes that aren't addressed in the Junior. The absence of those is partly why it was made - for the Junior audience.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL