Open Forum

View Only

Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

• 1.  Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-16-2018 10:30
    I teach storytelling using the Moth and conduct story slams at school.  It's an amazing way to get the kids up on stage, without having to memorize, and I teach story structure along with it.  I like to do it at the beginning of the year so we can get to know each other and so the kids can relate to being honest and open in front of an audience before they pick up scripted work.

I am new to teaching Middle School this year -- I've been doing these stories in high school the past few years.  I like to show the videos (we also listen to the audio-only stories,) so my students can SEE facial expression, audience connection, composure.  I reached out to the Moth's organization to find out about videos that are appropriate to show in Middle School and they responded with audio versions that have now been tagged with a PG rating.  Some of those audio versions have videos to go along with them and I put one on yesterday.  Unfortunately, it contained some profanity and I wrongly assumed it would be OK without listening to it first.  I teach in the deep south and what can pass for OK in NYC, does not pass down here.  An occasional curse word, a "G-d," doesn't even fly.

I was hoping to start a conversation here with other teachers who use The Moth so we can share videos and experiences.  If you have not used it, and would like me to share my lesson plans, I am happy to do so.  It's a great alternative, as well, if you have limited funds to produce shows as it is free and original work!  And you can charge money to attendees and use it as a no-cost fundraiser.

Here's my list so far of appropriate VIDEOs:
    Bad Haircut
    https://youtu.be/lLNTSjlZ0z8?list=PLOPA9EJqyfur_2nsyyR9qjf2AFccvjeWp

Video about the Moth:
    https://youtu.be/23frsMMKud8?list=PLOPA9EJqyfur_2nsyyR9qjf2AFccvjeWp" rel="noopener">https://youtu.be/23frsMMKud8?list=PLOPA9EJqyfur_2nsyyR9qjf2AFccvjeWp

------------------------------
    julie sukman
    savannah GA

• 2.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-17-2018 15:50
    I love this idea and would like to do something similar with my 8th graders. If you're open to other podcasts (and there may be video, I haven't researched) Arc Stories out of Birmingham, AL is excellent. They are aired on our local NPR channel, so they are pretty squeaky clean, and very entertaining.

http://www.arcstories.com/listen-podcast/

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 3.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-19-2018 11:04
    Let me know if you'd like my lesson plans; I'm happy to share them and we don't have to re-invent the wheel or TPT them.

Julie Sukman
    Teacher
    Oglethorpe Charter School
    Savannah GA

• 4.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-20-2018 07:30
    Hi!:) I would love to see your lesson plans for this unit. I teach middle school as well. Thank you!:)
    bushl@pike.k12.ga.us

Lori Bush
    Director of Theatre Activities
    Pike County Middle and High Schools
    Zebulon GA

• 5.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-20-2018 07:57
    Yes, please! drowe@hoover.k12.al.us

Thanks!!

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-21-2018 00:01
    I would love to see your lesson plans! I'm putting together a proposal to teach a storytelling class. Thank you!

Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 7.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 02-05-2019 06:54
    What does a storytelling class look like? I'm intrigued! Sounds amazing!

Megan Upton-Tyner
    Drama Instructor
    Newton KS

• 8.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-21-2018 00:01
    I would love to see your lesson plans! I'm putting together a proposal to teach a storytelling class. Thank you!
    athomas@sequoyahschool.org

Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 9.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 09-03-2018 15:51
    Yes please and thank you! alexandern@bsd405.org

Nichole Alexander
    Bellevue WA

• 10.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 02-04-2019 13:12

Please send lesson plans! Thank you!

Moose Mamet

Henri Mamet
    Denver CO

• 11.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 02-08-2019 12:46

Are you related to David?  How many times a day do you get that question?

Here you go!

• 12.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 02-08-2019 13:07
    Thank you so much for sharing these.

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 13.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 02-05-2019 09:01
    I would be thrilled to see your lesson plans, too, as we have done a bit of storytelling in class but I feel the need to update my teaching in this area.  Thank you so much!  caroljones@vistausd.org 

\\\\

Carol Jones
    Vista CA

• 14.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 02-06-2019 11:57
    Sent you a message, but forgot my email...it is llum@eusd.org
    Thanks!
    Lori

Lori Lum
    Theatre/Dance Teacher
    Mission Middle School
    San Diego CA

• 15.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-21-2018 10:28
    I would love to peek at your lesson plans!
    Cooper_Gillespie@morongo.k12.ca.us
    Thank you!

Cooper Gillespie
    Yucca Valley CA

• 16.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-22-2018 17:50
    This sounds awesome!  I would love to see your plans as well.  sarah.owens@sausd.us

Sarah Owens
    Segerstrom High School
    Santa Ana, CA

• 17.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-23-2018 10:41
    Love this!! I would also love to see your lesson plans! Tpartee@lawrencewoodmere.org
    Thank you so much!!

Tasha Partee
    Upper School Theatre Teacher
    Lawrence Woodmere Academy
    New York NY

• 18.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-29-2018 08:21
    I too am a middle school teacher, and I have been dabbling with similar lessons using storytelling generally and the moth specifically, especially early in the year. I’d love to pile on to the list of those requesting to see your lesson plans. Ryan.moore@wbsd.org

---------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach

Royal Oak MI
    ---------------------------------

• 19.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-30-2018 14:25
    Thanks so much for your post. Your idea is a really inspiring and low-key way to get students performing which makes me happy. So I will consider hosting an event some day for sure.  I have a couple of videos from the TED world, so less slam-style that I like to share as part of my MS and HS classes as we work through our storytelling units.

These are a few I use often that are clean:

For HS beginning to 3:08 timestamp
    This is what happens when you reply to spam email | James Veitch

For HS slam poet beginning to 4:32 timestamp
    Grand Slam Poetry Champion | Harry Baker | TEDxExeter

For MS
    RICHARD TURERE TED TALK EXTRACT

Those are all I can think of for now... 

Thanks Colleen

Secondary Theatre Teacher
    Peak to Peak Charter School
    Lafayette, CO

Colleen Mylott
    Lafayette CO

• 20.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 08-30-2018 14:39
    Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone

• 21.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 02-05-2019 06:56
    WOW! What a great idea! I love the content ideas that are shared in this forum! I would love to see your lesson plans - megan.upton-tyner@usd262.net 

I teach high school and use the essential elements (Actor, Audience, Space and Story) in the first part of the semester. This might work very well with the story unit! Thanks so much for sharing!

Megan Upton-Tyner
    Drama Instructor
    Newton KS

• 22.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 02-06-2019 10:47
    Hello!  Thank you for starting this thread.  Chalk me up for piling on, too, for a peak at your lesson plans:  mccaink@greenhill.org
    Thanks again.

Kelly McCain
    Addison TX

• 23.  RE: Moth Storytelling Videos: Share videos appropriate for MIddle & High School

Posted 02-08-2019 12:49

Here's my files for the unit.  Let me know if you have any questions and what your experience is...