Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Teacher evaluation content

Posted 06-13-2018 11:52
    So, I am wondering if any of you have had results of play competition included in your TKES mid year or summative evaluation conferences? I am sure most, if not all of us have taken one act plays to competition. However, is it appropriate for the administration to include the fact that you didn't win and instead perhaps came in 3rd or 4th place as a negative comment in your summative conferences and include it in their official report?

------------------------------
    Stephen Ingle
    Drama Teacher
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Teacher evaluation content

Posted 06-14-2018 13:19

As a former administrator charged with teacher evaluations, here is my suggestion.  Look at the evaluation policy for your district.  Is there a seperate evaluation process for teaching and extra currricular duties?  If so, the comments regarding competitions should be included in your evaluation for your extra curricular duties, not your teaching duties.  Also, you might want to check around (quietly) with some of the coaches in your building and see if the same thing (mentions of wins/losses in their teaching evaluation) has happened to them.  If you are relatively new to your district, you can play the "I'm new and just want to understand the process" angle when discussing this issue with your evaluator.  Before you go into meet with your evaluator make sure you have something written that states your objectives for entering your students into competitions.  Stress the educational/creative/social value of such events over the competitive aspects.  Often you have to educate the evaluator on exactly what is is you do.

Kurt Knoedelseder
    Theatre Director/Theatre Manager

1504814339651_PastedImage 

233 N. New Ballas Rd  |  St. Louis, MO 63141

P (314) 567-3500, ext. 1297  |  W desmet.org

1504814677839_PastedImage  1504814551129_PastedImage  1504814602122_PastedImage

1504814712533_PastedImage