Open Forum

View Only

Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

• 1.  Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-29-2018 19:56
    We are a small school, and last year I had 16 students in Peter and the Starcatcher. So I thought I'd get 20-25 this year, and I chose Big Fish! But ... kids graduated, strong 9th graders didn't come in ... and I only have 13 kids interested in the musical. That doesn't seem big enough to me for Big Fish. What do you think?

Can you think of musicals that feel great for only 13 kids? Only 4 of them have sung in choirs before; a few have done church choir but they can't read music; and we have 5 weeks of 45 minutes/day devoted to music before we start rehearsals. I have two seniors - one male, one female - who want to major in musical theater, so I want to give them both awesome roles. 

Thank you!
    Arden

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 04:47
    Arden,

Technically with the "12 chairs" version, you have enough people to do Big Fish, but if you don't have the strong voices for the father, son, wife, and even the witch, maybe it isn't the right show this year.   If you have the girls for the urchins, what about Little Shop?  That can be easily done with 13 and good roles for your senior couple.  Also there is You're a Good Man Charlie Brown, and technically 13 is supposed to be done with 13 actors.  

My school is also small (about 300 in grades 9-12), I did Drowsy Chaperone with 20, and the cast could have been smaller, so something else to look into.

I'm mostly impressed that you have 5 weeks of vocal rehearsal before you begin staging - that's awesome, I wish I had that.  I can usually only schedule around 2 weeks, but we make it work.

GOOD LUCK!

--
    Justin Indovina
    Theatre Department Chair
    The Berkeley Carroll School

• 3.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 06:54
    I agree with the show suggestions from Justin and will add one more to your list of considerations. 13 the musical is a cast of 13 middle school characters - but high school students love the show.

Break a leg!

Marla Blasko
    Director/Teacher Theatre Arts
    Long Reach High School
    Columbia, Maryland

• 4.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 07:00
    Hey Arden, I did Big Fish last year with 22 in the cast (same as the original BWay company) and it was challenging. The Ashton, Circus, Auburn sequence required many quick changes and the stage still felt thin.
    You might look at The Spitfire Grill. It's a main cast of 7 and I added 4 backup singing roles. It is similar in tone to Big Fish (more serious) and a great script. What advantages and features three female leads. 
    If you want more information on the show, let me know. Sam French carries the rights. 

Brian Bozanich
    Director of Theatre
    Maumee Valley Country Day School
    419-381-1313 x.205
    mvcds.org

• 5.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 07:15
    You’re a Good Man, Charlie Brown. Original version. Six principal roles, mostly character singing, you can either double up or create an ensemble for all of the group numbers and crossovers. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 07:32
    I was going to say Charlie Brown as well. Maybe The Fantastiks. Once on this Island?

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 7.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 08:03
    LUCKY STIFF is super fun and written to double down to 10 actors. We expanded to almost 30, so there's lots of flexibility. The leads have great solos, but they can also be character singers rather than classically pretty. The show is really funny -- the kids and the audience had a blast. A couple of a little adult-y moments, so know your community.

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 8.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 08:41
    13 is a lot of fun. Also, what about Schoolhouse Rock Live?

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 9.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 09:33

There are lots of small musicals.  Try Tuck Everlasting, Little Women, The Fantastiks, Little Shop of Horrors, Bonnie and Clyde,  Daddy Long Legs, Divorce Me Darling, The Boyfriend, Forever Plaid, Godspell, Honk, I Do! I Do!,  Into the Woods, James and the Giant Peach, Madagascar, Paint your Wagon,  Pippin,  School House Rock Live,  Songs for a New World,  25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee, Working, Stop the World I want to get off,  You're a Good Man Charlie Brown. 

These are just a few.  Good luck on your search and may all your theatre seats be filled,

Kelly M. Thomas

Department of Theatre

Dr. Ralph H. Poteet High School

3300 Poteet Drive

Mesquite, Texas 75150

972-882-5300

Kthomas@mesquiteisd.org

• 10.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 10:04
    No one has mentioned "James and the Giant Peach," which is amazing and underrated.  I did it this summer at my theatre company with 14 ages 7-17 which meant I had an ensemble of 4, one of whom was our primary puppeteer.  It was a blast!!  And the music can really work for all sorts of voices and easily simplified for less experienced singers.  This is one that actually works better with a small ensemble.  I also had the folks playing the insects appear as <g class="gr_ gr_877 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins doubleReplace replaceWithoutSep" id="877" data-gr-id="877">ensemble</g> in the earlier group numbers. 
    Let me know if you want more info.

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 11.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 10:15
    There have been excellent suggestions made here.

When I directed You're a Good Man Charlie Brown several years ago, I expanded the cast with other identifiable Shultz characters such as Peppermint Patty, Pigpen, Marcy, and Frieda, who sang and danced in all the big musical numbers. I also put them in all sorts of other scenes: In the lunch scene, I had them eating in groups or pairs, etc. which emphasized that Charlie was eating by himself. In the baseball scene, they were spectators, reacting to the game. There were numerous crosses (ie. with Valentines) for each of them as well.  Many of these minor characters came out and got leads the next musical, partly because of that experience, since they had to develop a well rounded character, sing in harmonies, etc. If they work at their craft, they will learn a great deal.  
    I also had a Woodstock, and then several smaller Woodstock type birds that followed her everywhere. These could be your non-singers, if necessary.  The audience (especially the children) loved them and their antics.
    On the plus side, there is only one costume for each character in this show. 

Your six leads will get a great deal of stage time. For the minor, added characters, this will be an important beginning. The girl who played Peppermint Patty continued to get good roles in our straight plays and then was one of the urchins in Little Shop, and her senior year played Adelaide in Guys and Dolls. She is currently majoring in musical theatre in college. The girl who played Marcy went on to play Dorothy in Wizard of Oz, Audrey in Little Shop, and her senior year played Sarah in Guys and Dolls; she is working as a stage manager for several theatres as she attends college.  The lesson I learned, if a student cares, they will learn from playing a minor (even added) character.

Also, the year we did Wizard, I approached a student who was not going to tryout and asked why? She had no real reason (maybe didn't think there was a role for her?), so she came forward and auditioned. She got the part of the Wicked Witch and had a ball doing the show! Don't be afraid to ask some students why they are not interested in doing the musical, they may not have a reason.

Good luck with whatever direction you go.

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 12.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 12:36
    We had great success with Seussical, the Musical.  It is simple and elementary kids love to see it.  We had a cupcake Cat-in-the-Hat cake each intermission so kids could meet the Cat and get a free cupcake.  Lots of fun and great pictures.

Carol Knarr Gebert
    Jay County High School
    Portland, Indiana
    cgebert@jayschools.k12.in.us
    419-910-1287
    Thespian Troupe #574

• 13.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-30-2018 13:28
    You might want to consider Godspell.  The first time I did it was with 32 students and the second time I only had 16 students. I cast a female as Jesus the second time as she was truly the best one for the part. Both shows and concepts were completely different and both very moving yet so fun and joyful. The show has the power to build a very tight community and encourage students to really contribute to the process. And casting is extremely flexible.

Also Spelling Bee and Little Shop have relatively small casts and are so fun. 

Best of luck!

Pauline Maranian
    Costa Mesa CA

• 14.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 08-31-2018 06:53
    We did Charlie Brown, Godspell, Li’l Abner, Annie Get Your Gun, Drood!, and Oz all with small casts.

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 15.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 09-03-2018 16:45

Charlie Brown, Putnam County Spelling Bee
    The Point by Harry Nillson (beautiful)

--
    Lynn Quinn

• 16.  RE: Only 13 students signed up to be in the spring musical ...

Posted 09-06-2018 10:37
    I agree with all of the above.  We have produced several of those shows.  One other to add might be "All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten" by Robert Fulghum.  You can have as little as 6 singers or could have as many as 20. We just used a piano to play the music.  The piano player was on stage as part of the act.  Lots of fun and very engaging to a wide audience.

D. Jay Kendall
    Theatre Technical Director
    Moses Lake School District 161
    Moses Lake WA