Open Forum

View Only

Stipend Help

• 1.  Stipend Help

Posted 09-29-2016 17:14
    I'm reaching out to you all because I'm tired. I'm so tired of fighting with my administration to pay a stipend for both the Fall and Spring plays. I'm hoping maybe one of you has some advice that will help save the program.

Long and short of it...
    I started the spring play in 2008 and fall play in 2009. It's been volunteer since then. I have battled with our administration with no success. They keep paying other clubs and skipping us (I can't figure out why). Today 7 parents went in on our behalf and were ignored. My principal told them that all money and decisions are made by the board, but this was just to silence them, as he makes school based decisions.

I just don't know what to do. I'm truly at a loss and I'm just exhausted. How long can I keep fighting?? I have looked into grants to find a stipend with no success.

If you have any suggestions or advice to share, I welcome it. I'm just so disheartened.

---------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ

• 2.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-29-2016 18:57

I'm so sorry! It's always really hard when admin doesn't support you. *hugs*     Some thoughts:

Ask the parents who were willing to come in to meet with administration to contact the school board and get on the agenda for the next meeting. Have them relate what happened at the meeting with the principal so it is on the record.

Create a breakdown of what goes into mounting a production and don't leave out anything. A bit time consuming (I know) but it validates the amount of time that is necessary to produce a performance and allows admin to actually "see" what is involved and why it needs to be monetarily supported.

Track the number of hours you spend (including design time, construction time, time spent researching and/or shopping for needed items, rehearsal time, performance time and strike time. If you can I'd look into the average amount of time other people (club sponsors/coaches) are spending and show a side-by-side comparison of the time.

Do the teachers in other schools in your district get compensated? What about in the surrounding districts?

This is by far the hardest option... cut a show. It's not fair to the kids; there's no question about that. However, you need to be fairly compensated for your work and sometimes (not always) taking that sort of more extreme measure can help push admin into treating you the same way as others on campus. If you keep "gifting" your time there isn't much of an incentive to start to pay you. I would definitely use this as a last resort however. It's really for the kids that we do this in the first place and it's not fair that they are the ones who will be denied an opportunity when they aren't in control of the solution. Unfortunately, life is not fair and sometimes we lose things through no fault of our own.

I do receive a stipend on an annual basis. I think that many of us do. Perhaps a list of those of us who receive a stipend will support your position. I created a simple spreadsheet and added it to the library. Hopefully showing this will help.

------------------------------
    Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 07:46

Shira is correct on all counts.  Document everything you do putting a show together and present it to your principal.  If it is truly the school board's decision, have those 7 parents present it to them. You should be paid just as any other coach/sponsor.  In fact, with two major shows, you should honestly be paid two stipends...

This is not a popular idea, but teach to your contract.  If your contract hours are 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., come in at 8 and leave at 3:30. Teach your heart out during that time and be the most amazing teacher ever,  but anything extra beyond contract time needs to go away.  That is what you are being paid for.  If they value you and value what you do and value what you bring to the lives of your students, they will pay you.  Sometimes they need to be reminded of what you bring to the table, and what happens when you aren't there.  The students will be upset, and so will the parents, so you need to explain why you are doing what you are doing.  Hopefully, they will support you and go to bat for you.   You are a professional and deserve to be respected and compensated as such.

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 4.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 10-01-2016 16:11

Here's a study on the hours and rate of pay that I once did. Perhaps compare this to how many hours a sports coach gets, for what stipend, and 'employing' how many students (also let your admin know that a full show can 'employ' 60 to 80 students).  Hope it helps...  Beth

DRAMA ADVISOR

# HOURS TO DIRECT 2 PLAYS

1 full-length straight play (7 weeks) and 1 musical OR Shakespeare (15 weeks)

2 x 48 = 96

Finding a play to produce, ordering perusal scripts, reading the plays, ordering/calling/paperwork, audition preparation (basically same for both)

2 x 36 = 72

Auditions (3x 3 hrs/day = 9), callbacks (3 hours), casting (6 hours)

x2 (basically same for both)

24 + 48 = 72 hours

Prep for directiong: Script analysis and pre-blocking: Straight play: 24 hours, Musical or Shakespeare: 48 hours

36 + 48 = 84 hours

Paperwork: preparing paperwork for P.O.’s, consulting with drama boosters, emails, etc.

Straight: 24 hours   Musical/Shakes: 34 hours

75 + 120 = 195

Rehearsals, excluding the last 2 weeks, which follows this, below:

Straight: 75 hours for 6 weeks              Musical:  120 hours for 13 weeks (this excludes music and dance rehearsals, as they are not usually done by the advisor)

Straight play & musical: 2:30 – 5:30 3 hours/ day, M – F

2 x 12= 24 hours

4 production meetings with stage manager and design team, 3 hours/ meeting

2 x 128 = 256 hours

4+ Saturday set building “work parties” and dry tech

10a – 6p, 8 hours/day (often more…)

16 + 20 = 36 hours

Run-through week, M – Th (4 days/show)

Straight: 2:30 – 6:30, 4 hours/day x 4 = 16

Musical: 2:30 – 7:30, 5 hours/day, including Sitzprobe w/orchestra = 20

17.5 + 37.5 = 55

Prep and planning time for each rehearsal, avg.

Straight:   .5hr/day x 35 days =17.5 hours

Musical/Shakespeare:   .5 hr/day x 75 days = 37.5

28 + 14 + 24 = 66 hours

Tech week, M - F , 2:30 – 10:30, 8 hours/day

Performances

Straight: 4 performances: 2 weekends, Friday and Saturday, 4 – 11pm (7 hours x 4) = 28 hours

Musical: 2 Friday performances: 4:00 – 11 (2 nights x 7 hours) = 14 hrs

4 Saturday performances: (2 performances, one at 2pm, and one at 7pm)

11:00 am – 11 pm (2 x 12 hours) = 24 hours

2 x 6 hours

Strike, 10:00 – 4:00, 6 hrs

Total hours = 923

Current Stipend: $2,990 - $4,180*      Current Per hour pay rate (for 923 hours): $3.23/hr. - $4.53/hr.

Beth Rand
    High School Theatre Manager and Consultant
    PRESETT, a service of RCDTheatreOps
    www.PRESETT.org
    Woodinville, WA

• 5.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 10:18
    Carolyn,
    Here's another thought.  In our district stipends are part of the Negotiated Agreement (teacher contract) between the board and the teacher's union.  In addition to gaining board support, I need the support of the teacher's union to put the additional stipend request into their contract negotiations.  This is not always what your union negotiators want to do- to have one more thing to ask for that they don't necessarily consider really important, but make it clear it is important to you and , probably, others like you who aren't getting paid for their work. So, in addition to having your parents work on the board to build support, also get the union behind you.   Good luck!
    Rick

The information transmitted herein is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the e-mail and any attachments from any computer.

MSAD #6 - Bonny Eagle Schools
    Buxton - Hollis - Limington - Standish - Frye Island, Maine
    Helping all students to reach their full potential

• 6.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 11:11

So sorry to hear about your struggle ! It seems like this is a battle we keep fighting, without fully "vanquishing" the adversaries. I don't know if it will help but try doing an on-line search for curriculum descriptions from other states whose Fine Arts curriculum include Theatre Arts/Drama. Then create a side by side description of the value and benefit for student improvement in all other academic areas. And then create a series of lesson plans in which you incorporate (identify) learning objectives from other subjects. Examples can be: estimating and measuring (math) in a set design lesson. Reading and interpreting historic events and outcomes (History) in scripts used for teaching analysis and character development (social behaviors and culture) based on the expectations of the period. I'm sure you can "connect the dots" on where I'm going with this and create some descriptions of your own. Put your curriculum objectives side-by-side with these other subject areas in your Theatre lesson plans. Then calculate the hours outside of the classroom you and your students spend on the process. And then the big guns, Have your students write essays about what they learned in ALL the curricula objectives from just one Production process, auditions to final curtain. And if all possible, prepare your Theatre parents to speak at a school board meeting. None of this hard, but is ohh so powerful. You can do this!!

Anita Grant
    Retired
    Sweeny TX

• 7.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 10-01-2016 07:03
    Thank you all for your support and advice! Just some more information...
    1. We stopped the fall play this year as soon as we saw it wasn't getting paid.
    2. Because of 1, parents have been calling and coming into school. They are on our side.
    3. I reached out to our Union yesterday and they are getting back to me. I noticed that there are 3 newly paid clubs who came to our school in 2010, 2012, and 2014. We came in 2008 and 2009. Meaning they skipped right over us for payment. I immediately went to them before approaching my principal who makes these decisions.

I love the idea of laying out time spent and presenting that.

My parents want to go to a BOE meeting but to go to have principals meeting on record is a great idea.

Someone suggested payment from booster club which my parents are very interested in. But is that legal? Could they actually pay out a stipend from funds raised?

Thank you all!

Carolyn Little
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ

• 8.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 07:48

I absolutely feel for you. The advice given before me is totally sound. My husband also had something similar to this. A stipend was given for a few of the shows but not all that the teacher had done prior and that was therefore expected of him to do. For many years he did extra shows without any pay for the work put in. He eventually went to surrounding schools and asked for letters describing their stipend and was able to use that to show what other areas received. He eventually did cut the extra show, he said if I can't be paid anything for the X amount of hours I put in I unfortunately can't produce this extra show. It helped for us that we were having our first child. If your parents continue to support and advocate for you after awhile (hopefully) the board will understand that there is outside support for your program and that they should support your time you put in as well. Hope it works out for you!

Elizabeth King
    Lebanon High School Drama Department
    Lebanon MO

• 9.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 07:53

I think we all feel your frustration as we know the countless hours that go into preparing and directing any show.  Of course I am not familiar with your school district, but I imagine you need to go through your teacher association.  My stipend is part of salary negotiations between the School Board and the Association.  I would talk with a representative from the Association which should probably have more pull and influence with administration than an individual teacher.  At least you won't feel like you are going it alone. 

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Wapahani High School
    Selma IN

• 10.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 09:02

Excellent advice from everyone. I get a stipend for each half of the year ( a % of base salary) for two shows. Granted, it is sub pay compared to every other coaching salary at the school (even lower than some of the Junior High school coaches). It is up to the teacher's union to negotiate these extra curricular stipends in my district, which may be the situation in yours.  I had been asking for a change, but the union Vice-prez refused to open up stipends during contract talks with school administration, telling me I was paid enough!  This person also gets a stipend, which is higher than mine, so it was a real slap in the face. So here I am, still working for minimal pay, however I do get paid. My advice is to start talking to your union rep about this unfairness, and get them on your side. I wish EdTA had a list of schools and the stipends for each state so you would have the evidence to prove schools in your area do pay for this service.  Obviously none of us do what we do for the money, however, there should be fairness in compensation.

If that doesn't work, you could try something else.  When the school administration cut the Assistant Sponsor position from the program several years back, that would have meant the third show, student directed One Acts in the winter, would disappear.  I was lucky enough to have a booster group in place. They worked to raise money, and paid the salary for that position and have done so ever since.  This has worked well since students get a chance to direct, and with minimal to no sets, all our tech gets a chance to act. The bad side is that the school will never pay for that position again, since it is taken care of.

As a play director and Troupe Director there is already so much we do that we do not get paid for (much like dedicated teachers) that it is wrong to direct a play without compensation. Get people in the district on your side.

Good luck!

Valerie Farschman, Drama Director
    MLS Theatre Company, Troupe 1422
    Marion L Steele High School
    Amherst, Ohio

• 11.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 10-01-2016 12:05

Carolyn,

There is some very good advise on this thread for you from a wonderful support group! Depending on your school and district culture something there should help. You have several ways to address this issue outlined by the various contributors:

The site based choices are to persuade your principal to assign a Play Production class as part of your contracted time, addressing your schools student leadership organization (ASB), and site council or other decision making team for your school. When approaching your principal be prepared to illustrate the curricular aspects of producing a play. Unfortunately, many people feel that theatre is fluff and fun - it's our own fault we work really hard to make it look spontaneous and seamless. Here are some ideas to help you prepare for that discussion:

• Literature analysis - Theatre takes a piece of literature and "deconstructs" it. It is a deep exploration of story. Authors intent is  considered at various stages of development. Story line is a primary focus, as is subtext. Character motivation is discussed and obstacles are understood. Students and teacher discuss the literature choice in authentic ways as the selected material is reconstructed and communicated to a audience which provides feedback and support...
    • Skill development - Theatre creates opportunities for students to experience skills in a viable experience - life skills developed on a daily basis - organization, prioritization, time management, communication, collaboration, creative thinking, problems solving, commitment, responsibility to others/self, adjusting to change, taking risks, learning to deal with making mistakes/failure, as well as moving beyond the mistake/failure...
    • Leadership - theatre help students to accept leadership roles and accountability - stage manager, technical theatre crew leaders. dance captain, assistant to the director, house manager, usher, box office...
    • Social skills - empathy, acceptance, a sense of belonging, supporting others, working for the whole group v self, pride in group project, understand what drive a characters choices and reflection on self/others...
    • Assessment - You may consider assessment tools when talking to your principal. Throughout the class I give weekly participation grades, tests (for my class that would be line memorization, songs, choreography, set build deadlines, prop acquisition/organization,  costumes....), I also assign a research portfolio - historical background, character profile, skills assessment (including areas student want to work on), costume research, reflection paper and a photo collage of the show. (later it makes a really nice memory piece - many returning alumni ask if I still require the portfolio and express how much they enjoy looking back at the experience).I have also had students work on a lobby display. Finally a culminating project presented to a public audience.

When addressing your student leadership organization highlight the positive attribute play production provide the school. If you give a discount to students, be sure to stress that.

• High profile community interaction and engagement
      • school community
      • neighborhood community
    • teamwork
    • students connect to school and others
    • acceptance 
    • school pride - especially if you enter competitions or attend ITS festivals
    • support for school assemblies (do you provide anything for assemblies? I have been called on many times to provide spotlights, scenic elements, costumes, props...)

Beyond the site:

• start a conversation with your union building rep. about equity. 
      • time/experience compensation
      • liability issues - supervision, safety, accountability
      • acceptable expectation regarding "free" v "stipend" programs. 
      • preferential treatment of sport over arts or science over arts
    • prepare a presentation for the school board
    • be prepared to illustrate all of the outstanding experiences you provide for students AND community
      • have a clearly and precisely written document that highlights the important benefits your program provides - keep it simple, use bullet points for quick easy reading...get it submitted into the minutes if possible. 
      • a powerpoint with key ideas and pictures/videos of students demonstrating the elements you have highlighted...the powerpoint will help you maintain an appropriate presentation time and aid in keeping the information factual v emotional. 
      • parents are the voices the Board hears, let them do some of the talking. Have as many attend the Board meeting as possible. The Board will have many things to attend to, so time is the problem, all of the parents will not be able to voice their support, but if you simply ask them to stand at the end of your presentation, you can create a dynamic and dramatic statement. Perhaps one parent can present the Board with a stack of letters in support of the program. 

I am so sorry for your situation! You need support!!!! You have support that you can organize - students, parents, union...don't be afraid to utilize them, once the obstacle is cleared out of the way, you will be much happier. You will still have periods of time when you feel underappreciated and lack support, we all do, but at least you will have fewer of them...I hope!

Good Luck! Please keep us posted!!!

PS - there are lots of articles that discuss the benefits of theatre in the real world, a quick google search will lead you to many. Having a few on hand may add a little legitimacy to your discussions. I have them for Parent Curricular Night...build that base of support, that's my strategy :)

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 12.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 09:11

I echo what everyone else said, but I'd also add that you should make a formal proposal to the school board. In our district, this is how stipends get added when we are not in a negotiation year. You should never have to work for free. If enough kids are involved and dedicated to the program you've built, the district/school will notice when you're no longer doing this program. I would also add that those parents could set up a group to go to the school board independently--especially if they were brushed off by your building administration.

Patrick McGuire
    Drama Director
    Round Lake High School
    Round Lake, IL

• 13.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 09:26

You should stop working as a volunteer. This is a huge problem, and I'm afraid our passion for theatre and kids enables districts to underpay or not pay us at all. You've got to tell your students and parents that you love them. You love theatre. But you can't work for free anymore.

In your case the solution is clear cut. If they pay for one play stipend, you do one play. 

Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 14.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 09:49

Hi Carolyn,

As well as being a theatre arts teacher, I'm also the union chapter leader at our school.  What you're describing is a union issue, and I urge you to reach out to your representation.  As educators, we all donate a number of hours each year, and that is normal and expected but it's not your situation.  Producing two plays is an enormous commitment - you must be compensated.  Your union rep can help you understand your contractual position, and help you file for appropriate persession pay.

A teacher's worst enemy is burnout.  Feeling unappreciated, underpaid, and fatigued is a sure pathway there.  Take care of yourself, see your worth, and give to your students what you can.

Best,

Bryce Cahn
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Tompkins Square Middle School
    New York, NY

• 15.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 10:31

Oh, how I sympathize with you!

I echo everyone else's advice. Stop working as a volunteer. This is DEFINITELY a contract issue, so be sure to get your union rep on your side. Take it up with the union and get your stipend contractually. I am paid the same as the athletic coaches, and you should be, too. 

Kaila Schwartz
    Theatre Arts, Director
    Milpitas Unified School District
    San Jose CA

• 16.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 10:38

Carolyn-

The way my school does it is that I am assigned a "7th period" (we only have 6 during the regular school day), which we call "Play production" and then students earn 5 credits if they put 60 hours of work in (cast or crew) during a given production. I do rehearsals from 2:45-4:30 except tech week. In exchange, I am "unassigned" 1st period. I get a regular prep period like everyone else, which my administration has been kind enough to assign 2nd period. Per our contract, we do not have to be on campus when we are not teaching, so this has been a godsend on days when my husband has been sick, or on "late start" days at my daughter's school when she doesn't have to be there until 9. I haven't added up the hours (I'm afraid to), but I think they're comparable. 

Jodi Disario
    Director of Drama
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose CA

• 17.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 10-01-2016 16:04

My stipend says "Drama Director" it is 17% of a starting teacher's pay.  (The head varsity football coach makes 25%. grrrr )  The contract has no stipulations as to how many and what type of shows I do.  So I created my own circle of hell.  We do two straight shows, a children's show, and a musical every year.  (We do one acts, etc., but that is a different stipend.)  It is completely negotiated as part of the master contract.

When we started a summer theatre program, I went in with comparatives and what an hourly rate for teaching a class would be.  They balked.  I did it for less money the first time, got an area code's worth of parents behind me, and was paid much more equitably in years 2 thru 4.

Have the parents push (or steamroll) your principal and go to the board. You will have to stick to your guns and it will not be easy! 

Break an administrator ,,, I mean leg!

[William] [Myatt] [Director of Theatre]

[Pleasant Valley High School]

[myattw@pleasval.k12.ia.us][563-332-5151][Bettendorf][IA][USA]

• 18.  RE: Stipend Help

Posted 09-30-2016 10:38

Ms. Little

There are two ways to handle your situation but only one will get you the stipend you are looking for. If your school has a system where activity funds are only used for the activity who raises them then you can get money by charging for the plays you put on. Do shows that can be seen by the Elementary school, Middle School and High School as well as the public. Charge admission with those funds going to the activity fund for Drama. The school can not use those funds but you can pay for supplies, costumes, etc. everything through that account. As for the stipend this second option may be a better way to go. Start a booster club with parent support. The boosters charge for the show with the money going to the booster club  for Drama only. They can pay you through that account and help with funds to produce the shows you choose. I am sorry that you are not paid through your school and that your administration is not supportive. Good luck

Stephen Smith, MAT
    Little Rock AR