Open Forum

View Only

your favorite app for communicating with students?

• 1.  your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-10-2020 20:42
    I need an app to exchange text messages, rehearsals times, and other info with my actors and parents. I tried Remind 101 but it doesn't allow students to respond back. What else works really well? Thanks!!

------------------------------
    Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 2.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-11-2020 07:52
    Remind does allow student responses. They also are allowed to initiate questions to the group leader.

Toni Thomas
    English Teacher, Theatre Director
    West Branch MI

• 3.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-17-2020 22:25
    I know this may be too late but try Marco Polo.  It's a video chat app.

Valerie Scott
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Perimeter School
    Johns Creek, Ga

• 4.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-11-2020 09:59
    When messaging students and receiving messages it is very important that those communications be as transparent as possible. Many teachers have lost their jobs due to messaging. I recommend that parents and at least one administrator or staff member be included in the group messaging platform you use. Avoid any private messaging. With that being said (and with the above considerations in place) I have used Group Me. I have also allowed students to create Facebook Groups and I have been able to communicate with them (I do not create the group!). 

Good Luck!

--
    Jeannie Brzovic
    Mountlake Terrace High School
    Activities Director/ASB Advisor
    Drama/Theatre Arts Teacher

• 5.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-11-2020 12:33
    Remind does allow students to respond back to you individually, and if you create a smaller group, they can respond to each other, as well. I've been using Remind for 3 years now and it is my primary communication tool with students and parents. What I like is that you can set it up to receive text notifications of messages, so I reach more students than I would if they had to open and check the app all the time. The best feature for me is the fact that I currently have 10 separate classes set up so that I'm not (always) spamming everyone with messages that don't apply to them. For example, I have an alumni group which receives messages about upcoming shows, updates about scholarships that are available only to students enrolled in college, and invitations to events. My "announcements" group is parents and students who are not in our current production, but who still wish to remain in our program. Then I have individual groups for each class period, for my production cast, my production crew, and my production parents. I have, but rarely message individually, a group for my Thespians, too. They're all in other groups, but if there is something like a change to a meeting location or updates about a fundraiser they're doing, I use that group exclusively.

Jodi Disario
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Willow Glen High School
    San Jose, CA

• 6.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-11-2020 12:46
    I use Remind for large groups (like our musical cast/crew/parents) and GroupMe for smaller casts, Drama Club Officers, and anything where I find it easier for everyone to see the text replies. I have had people recommend the Band app to use - it has a calendar, you can upload videos for rehearsal aids, and stay in easy contact with your group. I haven't tried it yet, though. 

Kate Lindsay
    Salina KS

• 7.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-11-2020 19:52
    Hi,
    We have been using What's app. It is free and everyone who is a part of the group can respond and see all of the messages. The person who is the creator of the group is the only one who can add people so people can not get on randomly. I like and it had worked for us. 
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    Rutland VT

• 8.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-11-2020 23:17
    Remind does allow students to reply, you just have to click on each one and turn on replies. Then you can send messages back and forth. I've been doing that this week.

Jennifer Vernon, NBCT - AYA English Language Arts,
    English II, journalism, speech, and drama instructor,
    Piggott High School,
    Piggott, Arkansas

• 9.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-12-2020 09:20
    My Troupe has been using TeamApp for the last three years and it has been a game changer for us.  There is a bit of a learning curve for kids, but once in place, it has served us well.  There is a calendar (which is customizable for groups and sends reminders)- a chat function which can be directed to various groups- a newsletter function- and several folders for documents.  It is available across all platforms and is free.

This is an app on mobile devices and a website for PC/Mac.  I have used it across all platforms with no problem.  I can't recommend it highly enough.

Franci Hazleton
    Coppell West Director

Frances Hazleton
    Teacher Drama/Theatre Arts
    Coppell Middle School West
    2701 Ranch Trail
    DallasTexas
     214‑496‑8600
     fhazleton@coppellisd.com
     coppellisd.com/west

OPEN RECORDS/CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This email and responses may be subject to Texas Open Records laws and may be disclosed to the public upon request. Please respond accordingly.

Exceptions to Texas Open Records laws are emails that may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under federal privacy laws. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments.

• 10.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-13-2020 07:50
    I use Slack. It's generally used in corporate settings and is very organized (and free at the size we are likely to ever use it) 

It allows private messaging between you and students
    You can divide up communication into channels, for example I have a tech heads channel, an improv channel, a channel for our musical, and more.
    There is also automatically a random channel which the students have been pretty actively using to communicate during these corona times (it helps me know that some of them are doing ok in an informal way that I appreciate) 
    It is also searchable! very easily. so there is no excuse for the kid who can't find the email with the rehearsal schedule. 
    It's also very similar to discord which a lot of the kids use for gaming stuff so there is for some easy adaptation and they can show others how to use it.

Joseph Gels
    Theatre Teacher
    Boston Latin School
    Boston MA

• 11.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-14-2020 07:45
    Hey there,
    I just wanted to let you know that I use Remind for all my classes (Theater and English), and it 100% allows students to text back.  I communicate with all my students and parents that way during the regular school year, and even more so now with the school closings.  There are limitations with the free version (limited in the characters I can send in a message), but I find that it really does work well for what I need like messages, docs, links, and photos.  Hopefully, you find what you're looking for!

Michele Zofchak
    Teacher/Drama Club Sponsor
    Tavernier FL

• 12.  RE: your favorite app for communicating with students?

Posted 04-14-2020 07:47
    My choreographer suggested Band and I love it!  Not only does it allow for easy communication, it has a great calendar, and also allows us to up load rehearsal videos for at home practice.  Very user friendly.

Myndee Fleury Washington

Music & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you EVERYWHERE"- Albert Einstein