Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 03-06-2018 08:24
    I have a talented kid who is eyeing a career in theatre, with an emphasis on musical theatre. We have discussed university programs and what camps and intensives she may want to attend, but she wanted to know if there are any other organizations out there that are dedicated to training kids and perhaps helping them get into the right school. Outside of my professional affiliations, I’m not aware of any. Do you guys know of any organizations that do that type of work? We live in San Antonio, Texas.

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 03-06-2018 13:23
    Interlochen Arts Camp for a 6 week Summer program or the Interlochen Arts Academy boarding school in Interlochen, Michigan is amazing!

------------------------------
    Laurie Yarborough
    Parent
    Reno NV

• 3.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 03-07-2018 16:47
    Check out your nearest Performing Arts center, if they have a young performers conservatory attached. All the options presented so far sound great, but potentially expensive or difficult due to location. For example, in Tampa the Straz Performing Arts center had a conservatory/school for students age K-12, and runs all sorts of summer intensives and other programs. See if there's something in the San Antonio area (I'm fairly sure there's gotta be something there) that does summer programs or other intensives. 

Here in Canada, there's a great triple threat program at the Randolph College of Performing Arts that produces amazing work and really pushes its students to excel in its BA program. I think they also do summer intensives for students through school ages, too.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON

• 4.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 03-07-2018 03:16
    Northwestern University's "Cherub" summer program - the student needs to be a Junior.  

Kathleen Conner
    California State Thespians CFO

Sent from my BlackBerry Smartphone on the Verizon 4G LTE Network

• 5.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 03-07-2018 06:47
    My son has done Broadway Artist Alliance for the past couple of years. They do a college audition intensive. Awesome people, all Broadway/industry professionals. They focus on "triple threats", so it would be great for your student.

• 6.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 03-07-2018 16:05
    ArtsBridge in NYC is a great program. They would also be a good resource to find someone in your area who can help. College Counseling For Performing & Visual Arts: ArtsBridge
    ArtsBridge remove preview
    College Counseling For Performing & Visual Arts: ArtsBridge
    "I never got a chance to tell you how much I loved ArtsBridge, and I just wanted to thank you so much for everything you do. I learned so much valuable information and feel much more prepared for college auditions. You are just amazing!"- Sarah B.
    View this on ArtsBridge >

Maura Vaughn
    The Branson School
    Ross CA

• 7.  RE: Musical Theatre Programs

Posted 03-12-2018 12:30
    You should check the December 2017 issue of Dramatics magazine, which includes a directory of 2018 summer theatre programs around the country.

Gregory Bossler
    Director of Publications
    Educational Theatre Association
    Cincinnati OH