Open Forum

View Only

Musicals that feature a lot of females

• 1.  Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-24-2018 10:02
    Hi.  I know I can turn to this community for some suggestions.  Next year I will have a lot of talented females and only a few males.  It feels like every musical is "guy heavy."  We have done Little Women and Legally Blonde in the past, and I don't have much diversity in my student population.  I wanted to do "Urinetown" and cast mostly women, but the pit director needs the show to have a big pit as well.  I would really like to do something current and/or edgy--it's hard to get my students, and an audience, excited for "Thoroughly Modern Millie" (no offense if this is one of your favorites.)  I know this type of thread comes up often, but I would appreciate any response.

------------------------------
    Karen Malone
    English and IB Theatre Teacher
    ITS Adviser
    Commack, NY

• 2.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-25-2018 08:25
    I had the pleasure to see Heathers The High School version at the Thespian Festival in Nebraska this year. The female roles are wonderful. The storyline is one I don't think my school would appreciate. I would love to do it!

Lynn Quinn
    Theater Instructor/Director
    Wayne NJ

• 3.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-25-2018 09:15
    I am at an all girls high school and face this every year. Last year we did Sister Act and it was SO fun! I cast females in two of the "thug" roles and they had a blast. The year before we did Into the Woods, also having females play a couple of the male roles, which worked out fine. This year we are doing Emma! A Pop Musical. We are just in the casting process now, but the kids are really excited. I also saw Heathers, The High School Edition this past summer and it is really good. I don’t think I could do it at our school, but definitely a great way to showcase females and talk about some deeper issues with students. I have had Once Upon a Mattress suggested to me when asking this same question, but have not researched it at all yet. Hope you find a fabulous fit! :)

Sarah Aanderud Wahlen
    Director of Theatre & Film
    Holy Names Academy
    Seattle, WA

• 4.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-25-2018 10:25
    The Weber version of Wizard of Oz adds solos for the Witch and Glinda.

Amy Strickland
    Drama Teacher
    AL

• 5.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-25-2018 10:57
    Chicago. We just did this and it turned out splendidly! We set and costumed it in the original time period to avoid the corsets and fishnets thing - I can send along photos if you're curious. Our cast was large so we have lots of beautiful costumes and such. :)

Huge pit, lots of girls, really only need two singing males and those songs are pretty easy anyhow. And now the School Edition is being released. 

• 6.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-25-2018 12:53
    • R&H Cinderella: 6w and 3m in the leads, plus ensemble.
    • It's a costume nightmare, but Shrek has a very large cast with very flexible casting. Only Shrek, Lord Farquaad, Papa Ogre and the King have to be male.
    • Honk! has a large cast that is about evenly split between men and women; of the 11 lead and supporting roles 6 are women.
    • Suessical. The Musical. Only Horton needs to be male. Jojo could be played by a girl. All the rest of the lead and supporting roles are female. There is a large ensemble.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 7.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-25-2018 12:54
    Have you looked at Emma! The Pop Musical? We are doing that this year because I have never had any problems with guys, but we had such a strong group graduate that now I get to do some girl driven shows! There are a few male featured roles, but the female leads have 80% of the songs. 

Samantha Roop, Ed.S.
    DHS Theatre Department 
    ITS Troupe Director #5087 
    Play & Musical Director
    Varsity Football & Wrestling Head Cheer Coach 
    Office Phone: 636.586.1085 Ext. 6129 
    Voicemail: 636.243.2495 
    Twitter: @DHSTheatreDept & @DHS_Cheer_
    De Soto High School.815 Amvets Drive. De Soto, MO 63020

"The mission of the De Soto 73 School District is to ensure learning, growth, and success for all students in a safe environment."

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by e-mail at the address shown. This e-mail transmission may contain confidential, proprietary or privileged information and may be subject to protection under the law, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and/or the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). This information is intended only for the use of the individual(s) or entity to who it is intended even if addressed incorrectly.

• 8.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-25-2018 15:05
    Maybe Heathers would work (although I've only heard a few songs from it). There is a high school version as well as a newly released high school version of Chicago through Sam French.

• 9.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-25-2018 16:22
    NUNSENSE THE MEGA MUSICAL. While hardly edgy, it is great fun and features solos and sterling moments for a number of women. I also added a large ensemble of mostly women. I believe that there were only 3-4 men in our entire cast. However, if you want a challenge, the Act I finale features a tap number. Many of the cast had never tapped, before, but they learned a simple routine, and the audience went wild.

Nancy L. Bernhard
    retired
    Salinas High School
    Salinas, CA

• 10.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-25-2018 22:30
    I'll second Nunsense the Mega Musical, even though it doesn't fit all (or any) of your parameters. I also tend towards more modern and edgier fare (yea Urinetown!), but Nunsense was so much fun to direct and the students had a blast. Yes, you will probably have to sell the show to students (in my case, they had to sell the show to me) but I think everyone will have a great time, including your audience.

And just as an aside, it seems a bit disheartening that there aren't more obvious answers to this question. My guess is that most of us struggle to find a musical that has more prominent roles for women than for men.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 11.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 02-02-2018 14:35
    Third on Nunsense: The Mega Musical. A community theatre in my hometown did it a few years ago and it was great. It has a lot of really fun musical numbers and while the tap one can seem challenging, they pulled it off nicely (and they are not the strongest dancers). I'm fairly certain they only had 3 men cast in the show, too. It was a hoot.

Shea Haney
    Advocacy Assistant
    Educational Theatre Association

• 12.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-26-2018 07:03
    There's the old chestnut:  Fiddler on the Roof  Not current, but could be edgy.

Dorothea Hackett
    DuBois Area Senior High School
    Troupe 6949
    DuBois, PA

• 13.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-27-2018 11:05
    I am knee deep in FIddler and I have to agree: it is full of great female roles and it is nice to have a show where women are repeatedly shown as strong, intelligent, and vital. I also have really enjoyed the challenge of trying to find something new or fresh in the show and the students have dug into learning about the shtetl and the Jewish experience in Europe. Of course, you need at least one strong male (and really you need a bunch). 

Last year I did Rent and found a lot of great work for women (but I also cast it gender blind and had a non-binary Roger and female playing Benny). I think Spring Awakening has strong female roles (but also needs strong men). See Rock City and Other Destinations is a small show but all but one of the sections has a really strong female role. Godspell or Jesus Christ Superstar might be interesting to approach gender-blind. 

Honestly, the most "edgy" musical with the best female roles I've done with high school is also the oldest I've done: Threepenny Opera. Penny, Lucy, Jenny, and Mrs. Peachum are all great roles. The Street Singer could be a woman (or women?). My kids loved it. (Again, you need at least one strong male to carry the show. sadly). 

William Addis
    Chair of Visual and Performing Arts
    Westtown School
    West Chester PA

• 14.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 01-28-2018 07:39
    Look at Cabaret.  I am in the middle of it right now and it is heavily dependent on the women.  

The male lead, Cliff, hardly has to sing at all (but he needs to be a strong actor).  The Emcee certainly sings but you could do it with the right woman.  The only man who has to really sing is Schultz and he is a character voice.  There is another man, Ernst, who has to join a duet for a bit and only has to sing melody (and it can be ugly cause he's a Nazi).

There are three versions (1966, 1987 and 1998) offered by TAMS that have increasing levels of edginess, but even with the 1998 version you don't have to do the highly sexualized interpretation that has been touring since then.  And most of the potentially problematic lines from the Emcee that you hear on the CD are Alan Cumming's ad libs and aren't in the 1998 script as published.  (The earlier versions do require more singing from the the men)

There is a huge entr'acte (500 bars) that can really show off a good pit band.

You do need an administration and audience who is ok with the acknowledgement of the existence of sex, homosexuality, abortion and anti-semitism.  But, you know, our kids do actually live in the world.   

I haven't had a cast this excited about doing a show for quite a while.

Christopher Sheldon
    Performing Arts Teacher
    Bancroft School
    Worcester MA

• 15.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 02-06-2018 08:39
    Not to hijack, but WHY are we still having this discussion? I mean, why do we still have to have it? Why isn't there better representation of women's roles and women's stories in musicals? The demand is certainly there, so what can we do to help encourage the supply of new material that better suits our female performers?

Cassy Maxton-Whitacre
    Theatre Department Coordinator
    Fishersville VA

• 16.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 02-07-2018 15:04
    The best solution: encourage more women to pursue playwriting as a career.

Musical composition, too.

Mark A. Zimmerman,

Theatre Director
    Akron School for the Arts
    Firestone Community Learning Center
    470 Castle Blvd
    Akron, Ohio 44313

Troupe 5570

mzimmerm@apslearn.org

• 17.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 06-08-2018 10:14
    @Sarah Wahlen "I have had Once Upon a Mattress suggested to me when asking this same question, but have not researched it at all yet. Hope you find a fabulous fit! :)"
    This funny thing happened to me too.What a fun world we live in!
    But why you suggested a mattress?Which one was this mattress?Queen?King?sizes :) 
    Joni.

Joni Walters
    Denver NY

• 18.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 06-09-2018 08:22

As a woman playwright and publisher, I'm wondering what you think would make that happen. I belong to an online group of playwrights, International Center for Women Playwrights (and yes we have male members) and that is a frequent topic of discussion.

• 19.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 06-09-2018 23:44
    Sadly, most answers to this question are fifty year old musicals, really Cabaret?   Fiddler?    I was a baby when these were first performed.    If no one supports modern writers, they won't continue writing what wont be produced.   I have given up writing musicals because not one high school will read anything.    They will only read something that is popular and has been performed on Broadwa y.  If you would read a great new musical with mostly girls cast and most of the  singing roles, many writers would try to write these type of musicals.    People write what they feel can get produced.    Anyway, I am going back to writing comedies cause musicals has been like pounding my head against a wall.

I'm making this up, but if I were to send you a new musical about women scientists that fought against the powerful men that tried to put them down, and came up with a new vaccine that saved thousands of people, would you perform it, or would you say that you could not sell out your school theater and must perform only name musicals?   Honestly.   My fictitious musical  is called Vaccine Maxine.

Leon Kaye
    Playwright for the Ages
    Lhk@koa1.com

• 20.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 06-11-2018 10:23
    I would like to respond directly to Leon. 

Our main audience for any show is the relatives and friends of the cast and crew.  Community members will come out to musicals, but only if they recognize the name. 

A couple of years ago, someone posted on this forum about Changing Minds, a musical by Bret Simmons and David Howard.  I read it, and it matched the talent we had in the combined classes that were set to produce the musical.  We had fun with it, but we lost our shirts financially.  TRW charged as much for this musical no one had heard of as R & H or MTI charge for a musical everyone has heard of.  So this year, we did Once Upon a Mattress, and the crowds came out.  

Yes, I would read Vaccine Maxine, if you wrote it.  It would certainly make it easier for me to imagine on stage if that perusal script came along with a CD of the songs, or an online link to the songs, because I don't play piano.  But even if I thought the musical was terrific, I would take a financial risk doing a musical that people don't know, and most years I just can't afford to do that.

If the publishing companies would offer a sharply reduced rate for new shows in return for photos and feedback, I think more of us would mount new shows.  I know I would.    

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 21.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 06-10-2018 02:56
    Moby Dick is hilarious and not many people know it and it's supposed to be ALL women and 1 guy (but you could probably fudge that since it is an irreverent show where an all girls school is doing a musical of Moby Dick with their head mistress (a man in drag) as part of it.  I believe it was originally done very Rocky Horror Picture show like - I would check it out
    Beauty  & The Beast actually has a lot that you don't expect (Wardrobe, Feather Duster, Silly Girls, Mrs Potts, Chip (potentially)
    No No Nanette is flimsy but fun with ALOT of female roles
    42nd street is actually very female heavy and you only have to have 2/3 guys who can sing.  dancing....well there's that too ;)
    The Drowsy Chaperone doesn't require much from the men but has great roles for the women
    9 to 5 I don't know but is certainly female heavy
    I personally found the HS version of Heathers to be disjointed and not effective but it takes a lot of women
    Wonderful Town
    Applause
    Bells Are Ringing
    Mame

Yes - most female heavy musicals are older, that is just the reality especially if you need ones that don't take male singers who have to have a ridiculous range. 

That's what I got for now!

Brandon Becker
    Denver CO

• 22.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 06-12-2018 19:32
    One girl heavy musical I recommend is 9 to 5. It only has a couple male roles that require good singing for solos. The rest of the show is girl power to the max! It's a really good girl power show with good themes behind it on women in the work place. 

Mama Mia rights were also released recently.

9 to 5 The Musical
    Music Theatre International remove preview
    9 to 5 The Musical
    Hello - I've used Rehearse Score for many years and have never had a problem with this. We are currently doing '9 to 5' and there are measures that are optional (Labeled 65A, 65B, 65C, etc.). I am trying to cut them so they never play, as the orchestra will be making the cuts.
    View this on Music Theatre International >

Brian Percival
    Emporia KS

• 23.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 06-13-2018 07:56

I'm a big fan of the little known MOBY DICK, THE MUSICAL. I think it's hilarious and the music is great. It's maybe too British for some people, idk. Only only one male lead, one supporting male role and the entire rest of the cast can be female. It's also super easy sets and costumes!

I also had a good time with CINDERELLA. You do need one really strong tenor for The Prince (his songs are not easy) but otherwise it's a fantastic show for girls with a classic R & H score.  Check out the Enchanted Version as it solves some of the clunkiness of the libretto (not Rogers' best - he wrote it for TV and apparently pretty quickly). This might satisfy your music directors need for a large pit as well. 

You might also look at MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS. Very sweet old-fashioned show with some great tunes (The Trolly Song, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas). Strong female lead with three or four good female supporting roles and room for two little girls as well. The boys are more supporting and only two sing at all. 

If you are looking for something more hip check out BRING IT ON. It's a little know show by Lin-Manuel Miranda (yes THAT Lin-Manuel Miranda) loosely based on the Kirsten Dunst movie. VERY loosely based. In fact other than the fact that it's about cheerleading there's almost no similarity at all. But it's a good show, and fun if you think you can handle the physicality. I've considered doing it with our schools cheerleading troupe but they're always too busy. 

Personally I've always wanted to do a huge all-female production of 1776. The girls wouldn't complain about the period breeches and tights and they already have the ponytails, and it would be cool to see all our "Founding Fathers" played by women. I was planning to do this to celebrate our first Female President, but we all know how that turned out. So I may just have to keep waiting. 

Good luck!

John Monteverde
    Drama Teacher
    Pittsfield High School
    Pittsfield, MA

• 24.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 06-28-2018 09:07
    We did 13 the musical last fall and the kids loved it and we had a good turn out.  The show does have at least 5 guys Evan who carries the show, Archie who we cast with a female, and Brett the jock and his two or more cronies.   Archie the cripple we cast with a girl and she did an amazing job.  On another not it does allow for some great female parts Lucy and Kendra both have some good songs and Patrice is a fabulous part.  there is even some great solos if you are willing to break up who sings them.  Like most shows you do need a strong male to carry the show Evan.

Charles Puetzer
    Stage manager
    Michigan City Area Schools
    Michigan City INStage manager

• 25.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 06-30-2018 05:04
    Last year at festival they performed 1776. The cast females in a few of the main roles. I was talking to another troop director and they did 1776 with all females. Very much like Hamilton, the disbelief was suspended and it was an amazing production.

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------

• 26.  RE: Musicals that feature a lot of females

Posted 07-05-2018 15:32
    Hi, I'm coming out of hibernation.

Just to add to the twin debates happening: 

In the first instance, Fiddler is great, as is Drowsy Chaperone. But even more fun is 'Zorro the Musical', which is surprisingly little known here in the states. Our school was one of two to produce it. It has music by the Gipsy Kings (so Bambeleo and a bunch of other popular tunes), and whilst there are three main males (Zorro, his brother Ramon, and a comic sergeant at arms), Zorro has the songs, Ramon doesn't sing and just has to be evil and maniacal, and the comic sergeant has a comedy drunk-along song. There are several female solos, and many beautiful female ensemble-with-solo moment songs throughout. A little cheesy, but a solid show, and may be the thing that appeals more than Thoroughly Modern Millie. 

Also, Shrek. 

Also, Evita. (Though yeah, it's a bear to mount, but it's still one of my favorite shows we ever produced). 

And yes, many teachers are stuck in the same financial risk bear market that CJ brings up. If we don't make money on our musical, many programs can be sunk or at least be strapped for a while while we recoup returns. It is possible to make money on a no-name musical (sorry for the clumsy expression), but it takes a very savvy program and a community that is used to trying new things. I do think if there was some sensible pricing re: musicals licensing it could result in a better turn out. 

For high schools in particular, maybe a push to the one act market for musicals? I see so many abbreviated versions of full length musicals cut down for a 40 minute window; it would be lovely to see a complete just under 40 minute musical for high school performers...just a thought. 

Oh! Sweet Charity. Another ancient show, but lots of strong female characters. Who might all be sex industry workers. But if you can get past that...!!!! Great songs which still glow.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor

Etobicoke ON