Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Virtual Festival issues

Posted 10-19-2020 09:04
    I just had to cancel my one-act for the ITS festival in my area after being denied video rights for the five one-acts under consideration. The titles either allowed partial videotaping, full streaming, or a combination of both, but my district has a deadline for video only submission and won't allow for a live stream of the shows we picked. MTI, Concord, and TRW all have information about which shows can be live-streamed, but none of them can be videotaped for a festival. Very frustrating situation. I was wondering if anyone had a title they could suggest that could be videotaped for submission. A musical is preferred, but we would consider a play.

Bruce Taws
    Mosley Drama

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 2.  RE: Virtual Festival issues

Posted 10-20-2020 08:42
    That is very frustrating. Especially for a festival. Shame on them for not being willing to adapt for our students.

That being said.  Look at Playscripts.  They were very accomodating.

Myndee Fleury Washington

Music & Drama Teacher

Union Park Charter Academy

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you EVERYWHERE"- Albert Einstein

• 3.  RE: Virtual Festival issues

Posted 10-20-2020 12:11
    While virtually everything at my own company, YouthPLAYS, is available for live-streaming/recorded/festival use as well, I do want to speak up in defense of some companies--like the ones mentioned--where that may not be true. Nobody is sitting there thinking, "How can we put coal in some kid's stocking for Christmas?" I'm sure they would LOVE to make these shows available for festivals as recordings, but the reality is that they are often dealing with properties that have far more complex rights issues (multiple rights holders, estates, film rights, etc.) than the rest of us--and it limits what they can allow. I know they are doing the best they can.

Cheers,
    Jonathan

------------------------------
    Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 4.  RE: Virtual Festival issues

Posted 10-20-2020 11:38
    I'm so sorry you're having to go through this! How frustrating that must be for you and your students!

Please keep in mind that EVERY musical and play at Pioneer Drama Service has licensing rights available for recording, livestream, online, or traditional performances, including for festivals.

Best wishes to you!
    Debra Fendrich
    Executive Editor
    Debra@pioneerdrama.com

• 5.  RE: Virtual Festival issues

Posted 10-20-2020 16:14
    Our entire catalog is currently available for streaming. (or zooming <shudder>)
    Well, not for shows that have yet to be released (The Prom, Jersey Boys, etc.).

No problems capturing for an EdTA festival submission - and if selected we currently don't charge royalty for festival/competitions. The only qualifier: you must be presenting the show publicly (not just for the competition). 

And this time next year, TRW will have a selection of non-musicals to choose from! Shhhhh...don't tell Marketing I let that cat out of the bag.

Michael McDonough
    TRW Asst VP Amateur Licensing
    New York