Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

looking for a good play about teen suicide

• 1.  looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-07-2015 13:19

Hello eveyone, I'm looking for a strong play with a large cast about teen suicide to do in the fall next year.

Please post here or shoot me an email at acteachsfc@gmail.com.

A few years ago I did "Sleepwalk" by William Mastrosimone  (great play!) and I'm looking for something as powerful that will allow a talkback discussion with our counseling department and a guest speaker after the play.

------------------------------
    Sharon Chadwick
    Las Vegas NV

• 2.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-07-2015 13:35
    While it's not specifically about suicide 4 A.M. by Johnathan Dorf is a good piece. It's at Playscripts.com, so you can read alot of it

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-07-2015 17:54
    We have done 2 different plays on teen suicide the first on is The Girl in the Mirror and the 2nd one was Ordinary people.

Alan Kay

• 4.  RE:looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-07-2015 22:34
    Freak by Angela Hill.is an interesting take on suicide. Very thought provoking piece. We just did it at competition and got rave reviews. I believe it's from Heuer Publishing.

-------------------------------------------
    Lorie Baldwin
    High School Theater Teacher and Director
    Richboro PA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 5.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-08-2015 07:16

Have you looked at The Bright Blue Mailbox Suicide Note by Lindsay Price at Theatrefolk?

Will miss you this summer, but so excited for you!!!

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 6.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-08-2015 08:30
    Have you considered creating your own?  My advanced theatre class does a social issue play each year on a topic relevant to the school and community.  We have done one on teen depression and suicide.  We bring in experts in the field to talk about the topic, read some current literature--then the students write short monologues, scenes, and find or write poetry on the subject that can be performed.  Often what they come up with or find is directly related to incidents in our area.  I could send you a copy of the one we did if you'd like to see it as a guide. You'll have to do some editing, rewriting--but not as much as you would think.    Having the students create their own work empowers them as artists and social activists in a way that makes the experience far deeper for both them and the audience.  Good luck!

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 7.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-09-2015 15:08

Eric and Elliot is a small-cast show (sorry! I didn't catch your need for a large cast when I replied). Last semester we, like Ron, also wrote our own devised theatre play on depression/teen suicide. I echo Ron's comments about the value student-devised work; we too would be happy to send you our script if you'd like another example.

Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Teacher/Drama Director
    Bowling Green City Schools
    Bowling Green OH

• 8.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-08-2015 08:51

YOU MUST READ:  The Locker Next 2 Mine - by Jonathan Dorf

www.youthplays.com

We produced this play last spring as a partnership with our Aevidum group (www.aevidum.org) - a new club to bring awareness to depression/suicide.  We cast students from both ITS and Aevidum clubs, and included everyone who auditioned.

The storyline is powerful, cast size can be smaller with doubling - but ours was large. It brought a lot of awareness to a topic that isn't usually discussed openly.  We were proud to tackle a tough topic & have it be well-received by the community.  It opened doors to connect charities and groups throughout the county whose leaders attended our show - which we hope inspires more awareness and collaboration going forward.

Jonathan often contributes to this community - and supports our Thespian endeavors nationwide... attending festival, state conferences & offering workshops. We are fortunate to be near his parents, so he timed a visit home to coincide with our production so that he could be there as well.   (And he showed no mercy for scoring at the bowling alley for the cast party afterwards!)

Melissa Mintzer

Penn Manor HS 

Willow Street PA

• 9.  Teen Suicide Plays

Posted 05-08-2015 11:44
    Sharon--we have had great success with Jonathan Dorf's play:  The Locker Next 2 Mine.  There is a full length and one act version. Both are great and we've done both.  Full Length for school and the one act at our Kansas Thespian Conference. Both were thought provoking, loved by the parents and students, that generated a "talk back" session afterward (which we had led by a professional counselor, along with our actors) and we had such great feedback all year on that show. I think its one frankly I'd think about doing every other year, as it needs to be heard by newer audiences both student and parent.

Max Brown
    Director of Theatre/Department Chair
    Blue Valley Schools USD#229
    Overland Park, Kansas 66209

• 10.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-08-2015 12:54

We have produced many plays, over the years, regarding suicide.  These are my favorites. 

MAY I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION, PLEASE! by Catherin Roden-Goguen (Pioneer).  Each member of the troubled young man's family reviews how they treated him.  Many warning signs are displayed in this story. We've had many positive responses from family and audience members.

AND THEN YOU DIE by Vern Harden takes place in a city dump where a young girl goes to kill herself, but the old homeless man who lives there catches her and talks with her.  She ultimately decides not to end her life, but it's two person cast.

NOBODY HEARD ME CRY by Vern Harden (Pioneer) is about a Jason whose troubles are heard by mom, step-dad, siblings, friends, but he finds "deaf" ears.

Kathy Siler
    Theatre Educator
    Payson Unified Schools
    Payson AZ

• 11.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-30-2015 23:21

I appreciate your recommending May I Have Your Attention, Please? The play has had several schools mention that an audience member attributed the play to saving their life or that of someone they knew. It is powerful when art can have such a powerful  impact. Again, thank you so much for performing it. (Pioneer)

Catherine Rhoden Goguen

• 12.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-08-2015 13:04

I HIGHLY recommend I Don't Want to Talk About It, by Bradley Heywood. We just produced it last month and it created excellent discussions among families and friends (not to mention the class that performed it). It is available at Playscripts.

Rob Duval
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    'Iolani School
    Kaneohe HI

• 13.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-08-2015 23:03

I just a senior successfully direct I Don't Want to Talk About It by Sarah Schlossberg (name might not be exact).  It was extremely well received by our parents, students and community.  Another senior director presented I Don't Want to Talk About It, which was mentioned in another reply.  This play was also very impactful, especially for parents.  

Tamara Mosier
    Folsom CA

• 14.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-09-2015 11:46

Tamara;

Did you mean "Just Like I Wanted" by Rebecca Schlossberg?  If so, this play was actually written by Becca after a friend had committed suicide while a student in high school.  I'm thinking about doing this show next year for our state festival.  I saw a production several years ago and it is a popular piece for high school production.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 15.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-09-2015 15:04

About ten years, our school suffered a rash of teen suicides. Our Drama Club staged the one-act play Eric and Elliot by Dwayne Hartford (Dramatic Publishing; AATE Distinguished Play Award winner)--5 actors. We staged the play with talk-backs seven times over two years; Mr. Hartford even attended one of the performances and spoke with our audience. The playwright is also accessible if you wanted to talk with him; he works at Childsplay Theatre in Tempe, AZ. It's a beautiful, image-filled play that helped our community heal.

Jo Beth Gonzalez
    Teacher/Drama Director
    Bowling Green City Schools
    Bowling Green OH

• 16.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-10-2015 11:35

First of all, I just want to commend you on confronting a difficult issue where many communities want to "sweep it under the rug." Kudos to you and your program.  

My suggestion lies within the Frank Wedekind script, Springs Awakening, adapted by Jonathon Frazen; however, I would look at all the translations.  The play written in 1891 confronts not only teenage suicide, but sexuality, consent vs. rape, parenting, education, and abortion.  Although, the musical version has sensationalized many of the issues, the original play is honest, direct, and extremely relevant. Students connect and identify with the characters, and the script erupts important conversation.  

I will say, the script needs editing due to the elevated "poetic" language, strong themes, and lengthy monologues.  You could easily cast 20 students in the production.   

I've spent the good part of 3 years speaking with administration, community organizations, our English Department, parents, and students preparing for this project.  Oh course, if you're going to tackle the issue, this script goes deep into the reasons and doesn't lie on the surface like most scripts I've read dealing with the topic of suicide.  

best,

topher

Topher Barrett
    Teacher & Director
    Kalamazoo Public Schools
    Kalamazoo MI

• 17.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-11-2015 08:04
    Edited by Scott Piehler 03-12-2017 22:29

Many great suggestions here. Take a look at "High School Confidential." It follows a group of students the Monday after a classmate commits suicide. Also addresses a ton of other issues, never in a preachy fashion. There are a couple of gut-wrenching monologues as characters reflect on how the death affects them. 

Also contains some welcome comic relief. Highly expandable. 

http://www.dramaticpublishing.com/high-school-confidential

Scott
    Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 18.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 05-30-2015 23:24

May I Have Your Attention Please?  would allow just what you are describing that you want. Many performances have had an afterplay discussion and guest speaker. Some schools have handed out pamphlets and distributed bracelets with  suicide hotline number on it. I would be hppy o email you a copy of the script. It is published with pioneerdrama.com

Catherine Rhoden Goguen

• 19.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 03-05-2017 18:45
    I wanted to reach out to those of you who have directed plays dealing with the issue of teen suicide. I have already announced, gotten the rights and cast the play The Girl in the Mirror. I now have some administrators in my building questioning the content of the show even thought it has been approved since last may. Did any of you face similar challenges and how did you approach it?

Emily (Neve) Mokrycki
    Theatre Teacher
    Omaha Public Schools
    Omaha NE

• 20.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 03-06-2017 09:03
    Unfortunately, we had a teen commit suicide some years ago, which makes the danger very real here.  One of my students just directed a 10 minute play about the aftermath of a teen suicide, and we got nothing but praise.

Ask for your counseling office's support and for good sources of recent statistics.  Ask them if there is a local therapist who works with teens who might be willing to do a talk-back after each show.

If you have a school nurse, ask for support and statistics.

Schedule a meeting with the principal to find out exactly what his/her objections are.  If he/she objects to specific language, contact the playwright through the publishing company, explain the situation, and ask if you can make specific deletions or modifications.

Don't give up without a fight.  The number of students I personally know who are in therapy for suicidal thoughts has skyrocketed since the election.  Transgender and gay youth are most affected, but there are tons of teens teetering on the edge. 

C. J. Breland
    Asheville High School
    Asheville NC

• 21.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 03-06-2017 12:17
    I always bring the administration in on any social justice or message play to help with community resources for an After Performance Talk Back with cast, their family members, school counselors,audience, and any community workers who specialize in teen issues. The counselors communicate that they set aside the week following the production for any appointments with youth who want to talk.
    I allow the administrator to obviously read the script and immediately schedule an appointment with me and one or two of the articulate cast/staff members who talk about the importance of the topic and present some of the questions the think might be included in the After Performance Talk Back.

Gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    Gai@gaijones.com
    Www.gaijones.com

• 22.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 03-06-2017 08:43
    Edited by Josh Kauffman 03-06-2017 12:39
    You might also look at "Ordinary People" by Judith Guest. (Not sure if that is the screenwriter or the adapter for the stage, or both). I'm not sure how it stacks up to these others, which I have not read, but it was a movie in the 80s that dealt with suicide, and the stage adaptation was powerful.

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 23.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 03-07-2017 03:26
    Have you looked at Ibsen's The Wild Duck. I directed it many years ago and we had panels on teen suicide as an outreach to the community.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 24.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 03-07-2017 08:27
    After a recent spate of teen suicides in our county, I've been considering re-staging "Sleepwalk" as well. Bill has a new version of the show - not vastly different - that I'm anxious to try. And I agree with Gai, that paired with a strong  collaboration with local support services, it can be a powerful way to start a positive conversation. 

Michael Fisher
    School Director
    Springfield OR

• 25.  RE: looking for a good play about teen suicide

Posted 03-08-2017 03:52

I'm a big believer in confronting issues like teen suicide through theatre rather than trying to ignore them and hope they go away (and there's a rec for a play or two of mine in this thread).

But I just wanted to note that while this thread has popped back up in a discussion about how to buttress one's social issue play against administrative "concerns," the original post that was actually looking for suggestions of teen suicide plays is from May 2015.

C.J. (who is 100% right about post-election fear and stress) and Gai's suggestions about bringing counselors or other mental health professionals from school and the community to facilitate discussion and give students the opportunity to talk about issues the play brings up are sound strategy. Sometimes, in addition to post-show activities, it can also help to prepare your audience (or to offer some information for your colleagues so that they can prepare their students) before the show. That way, you help manage expectations of what they will be seeing.

When it comes to shows of mine on social issues that have gotten pushback in the past, typically the fear from admins is that students aren't sufficiently prepared to talk about these issues, or that by seeing them on stage, they will suddenly do them (plays, at least in my experience, aren't like TV or film in inspiring copycats). By showing that you've thought through how students will be prepared and supported in processing their feelings, you should have a strong case.

Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA