Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  The Conference of the Birds

Posted 08-05-2018 12:01
    Has anyone produced The Conference of the Birds by Peter Brook and Jean-Claude Carriere? I'm reading it now and it looks intriguing but a bit challenging.

------------------------------
    John Perry
    Retired Theatre Teacher

• 2.  RE: The Conference of the Birds

Posted 08-06-2018 06:16
    We did it when I was in college, we performed the show in a aisle setting with bleacher style seating on either side leaving the end zones open, I stage managed the production.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: The Conference of the Birds

Posted 08-06-2018 09:32
    We did it when I was in high school, and to this day remains one of my favorite experiences. 

We collaborated w the art department to build really cool puppets for the birds, actors all wore black, and we performed on a bare stage, with just a painted drop cloth on the floor, iirc. 

Do it, it's a lovely piece!

Ashley Bishop
    Teacher
    Birmingham AL

• 4.  RE: The Conference of the Birds

Posted 08-07-2018 12:00
    I did a production about 15 years ago. The process of creating the performance was amazing. We chose not to use puppets. Instead we focused on stylized movement. We used simple neutral masks for the "humans" in the stories that the birds told. We created patterns of movement for flight. We used objects as symbols for the more abstract sections of the script. The performance took place on a bare stage with a black floor, on which we used chalk to delineate "onstage" and "offstage" spaces. Each performance was followed by a discussion with the cast, crew, and audience. I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 5.  RE: The Conference of the Birds

Posted 08-08-2018 23:28
    I did the show eons ago and LOVED it.  I had a fantastic art teacher who would ask me, "What are WE working on this year?"  Each student in the cast that wasn't a specific bird, chose a bird.  Every member of the cast had a helmet mask made from plaster impregnated gauze that they finished to resemble their bird. Matching fabric was attached to the back of the helmet to index fingers, so when they "flew," it looked amazing.  I don't remember what classical music we used, but we spent several rehearsals just practicing flying, especially through the storm. Art students made large birds that matched the birds of the cast.  As each departed the "flock," they took their bird with them.  (We hung the birds on panels that probably couldn't be replicated today; we stapled the plastic rings that held 6-packs of soda together.  No one could figure out what they were as they swayed and shimmered in the light!)

When playing humans, cast members removed their masks off stage.

If you decide to do it, have fun!!!

• 6.  RE: The Conference of the Birds

Posted 08-08-2018 16:40
    ​I have not produced the show, but I am familiar with the script. It would take an adventurous group of actors. You can come in with some ideas (obviously, you are the director) but this type of show needs to be an ensemble effort. I would add live music and physical storytelling.

Christopher Dwyer
    Head of Drama
    St. Vincent Pallotti High School
    Laurel, MD 20707