Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Larger Cast One-Act - Social Issue

Posted 11-16-2014 10:13
    Hello,

I'm looking for a quality larger cast (25 or more) one-act that works with an important social issue. It would be great if it were an ensemble cast and/or a series of vignettes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-------------------------------------------
    Patricia Giles
    Theatre Director
    Columbus GA

• 2.  RE: Larger Cast One-Act - Social Issue

Posted 11-17-2014 09:25
    25 is a stretch, but "Bang Bang You're Dead" might work. See www.icarusplays.com ------------------------------------------- Michael Fisher School Director Springfield OR -------------------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Larger Cast One-Act - Social Issue

Posted 11-17-2014 10:35
    I don't remember the cast size but "And" deals with the issue of date rape. Playscripts.com

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Larger Cast One-Act - Social Issue

Posted 11-17-2014 14:03
    Patricia,
    Check out the plays of Jerome McDonough.  Many of his plays deal with various social issues.  Over the years I have done three of them -- "Dolls", which deals with teen pregnancy, "Juvie", which deals with kids in trouble and ending up in juvenile detention, and "Blues", which is a play about homelessness.  All have great possibilities for large ensembles as well as many individual roles which help tell the story.  I have done them for the Iowa High School Speech Association Large Group Speech contests, where we only have 35 minutes to perform.  The three I mentioned all worked really well in that context, and none of them need any kind of substantial set -- although you could go that way if you wanted.  Good luck!

Cary Shapiro
    Ankeny IA

• 5.  RE: Larger Cast One-Act - Social Issue

Posted 11-17-2014 16:25
    "High School Confidential" Expandable from 13 to 42. Deals with teen drinking, drug use, suicide, body image, sexual preference, bullying, and a couple more, Edits allowed by the author. Vignette driven. 

Despite the above: hilarious in places, and NOT preachy. 

http://www.dramaticpublishing.com/p3625/High-School-Confidential/product_info.html

Scott

Scott Piehler
    Drama Director
    Lilburn GA

• 6.  RE: Larger Cast One-Act - Social Issue

Posted 11-19-2014 11:31
    The Spirit of Life, based on The Hasidic Tales of the Holocaust, is written for 6w, 3m with lots of doubling, but could easily accommodate a much larger cast. 

Kenneth Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA