Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Graduating early for drama school?

Posted 11-05-2015 14:49

So, I have this wonderful Freshman high school student, and they asked me today a question that leaves me unsure of what to say back in response, for advice.

She wants to graduate early, so she can go to Drama school early, so she can start her professional career early.

Aside from the whole 'Wow, you're so cutely optimistic' angle, and the realization that she might be shooting for the moon, what advice would you give this eager young scamp? They want to stay in Florida (so they want to go either to University of South Florida, or Florida State), they want to graduate as a junior so they can go to college a year early (which, academically, I think they're capable of), and....???? Basically, I think her idea is that if she graduates early, she can get through college earlier, so therefore can start her career early.

I don't really know what to say! I think, in our current school climate, if you are able to graduate early, you should, but is there something to be said about age? Is it going to make a difference if she graduates at 21 rather than 22?

And of course, I'm going to be advising her to at least minor and specialize in some area of technical theatre as well as performance...

What would you say?

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 2.  RE: Graduating early for drama school?

Posted 11-06-2015 05:39

Phillip,

WOW!  I just had a conversation with a parent last night because her daughter wants to go to UCLA and study acting (we are just outside of Chicago here, to give you some perspective).  Mom had the typical worry about her kid going into that "acting" career! 

I just happened to read Jon Jory's article "The Conversation" in this month's Dramatics.  I used it to talk to the mom about how to support her while helping her realize that her daughter will eventually either leave the profession or stick with it, based on her success.

Go read the article!  It could help you with this child.

Overall, however, I think it's a bad thing to leave school early to pursue acting.  Especially high school.  No they weren't the most fun times for me, but I did have a good time!  I wonder if that has been considered at all?

Ray

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 3.  RE: Graduating early for drama school?

Posted 11-06-2015 05:39
    As a former talent agent in L.A., what I suggest is this: move to L.A. There are so few jobs in Florida, so starting a career early won't mean much! If she wants theatre, then go to New York or Chicago, both major markets. She can start by sending head shots and resumes to agents in L.A.; a lot accept and look at unsolicited ones, especially for kids. In a cover letter, suggest a few dates for a visit/meeting, and go see a bunch! Finish her degree, and go to a school that holds showcases for agents and managers, and get savvy about the business end before doing anything! Easy way to make the move? Go to a college like USC or NYU that have a lot of this in place!

Sent from my iPad

• 4.  RE: Graduating early for drama school?

Posted 11-06-2015 06:16

My opinion, your mileage may vary:

One of the keys to becoming a great performer is experience. Those experiences are gained over time, and I feel they include the High School experience. Rushing off to college IMO would rob some of those experiences others would gain, both good and bad.

I also feel all students should have a plan B. Better to explore all you can while in High School and not paying for it.

Greg Alldredge
    Head Director
    Cypress TX

• 5.  RE: Graduating early for drama school?

Posted 11-06-2015 09:09

Some of the best advice I ever received, and which I have given to my students is: if you want to play real people, then you need to be one of them. Missing out on the cultural and social rituals of adolescence and early adulthood means that student will be unable to 'tap' into it as deeply as she would had she experienced it (Stanislavski and all that). Also, think of the view she has of her education--just want to get it done so I can do the 'real work'. What a disservice to the wonderful theatre programs in high schools and colleges/universities.

And that said, who's to say she cannot 'begin her career early'? What IS her career, but a way to express ideas and emotions so others can connect? Receiving an education and 'doing theatre' are not mutually exclusive.

Of course, if this is someone who doesn't think 'doing theatre' is anything other than a TV show or a block buster movie.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 6.  RE: Graduating early for drama school?

Posted 11-06-2015 10:08

I think graduating early, from high school or college, is generally a mistake. A year or two isn't going to make a huge difference in your career, and as Lori said, it's really important to live life. Forgetting whether it benefits your career to have experienced walking at graduation or the highs and low of senior year, you shouldn't deny yourself the opportunity to experience these things. Living in LA, with most of my friends in the business, it's a rat race. Why not take the opportunity to live a little and have the fun that comes with being a young student? The rat race isn't going anywhere. (And it's not as if you can't take advantage of local opportunities while you're a student.)

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 7.  RE: Graduating early for drama school?

Posted 11-06-2015 10:31

I skipped my senior year of high school to begin college early - not to begin a career early, as your student seems interested in doing, but simply because I felt I'd got what I needed out of high school and because that option was open to me through USC's Resident Honors Program. It was absolutely the right choice for me at that time, and I do not regret it at all as an artist, as a professional, or as a person.

Your student is very young yet, so I think you can encourage her to continue researching her options while also encouraging her to allow herself to be open to changing her mind. By the time she reaches junior year, she may have a different path in mind and decide to slow down her course overload and stay for senior year, but I don't think it will hurt her to plan now as if she intends to leave so that that option is available to her, too. The fact that she is over-enthusiastic about an acting career but unwilling to leave Florida suggests to me that she still has some important things to work through over the next 2-3 years. She's planning right now to begin a career 6 1/2 years in the future. That's almost half the time she's lived so far! 

I will say, though, that high school rituals are not prerequisite to great acting. Becoming a good actress does require building a well of experience, but there is no singular list of experiences all actresses must have. Whether she gets her experience in high school or in college, she will gain experience. And as to being a year younger... there are some kids who are more mature than their peers and others who are five years behind. The bars we set are based on an average. The standard plan is not a perfect fit for everyone. So, it is possible that skipping senior year will be right for your student... but it's way too early to tell.

Alicia Harabin
    Lower School Drama Teacher
    The Pingry School
    Short Hills NJ

• 8.  RE: Graduating early for drama school?

Posted 11-06-2015 12:25

I don't think graduating early from high school is a good idea. Period. There are too many social, emotional, and physical changes that are enough to deal with. Additionally, the expectational maturity level is vastly different between high school and university. If she wants to "start early" I'd tell her to do the normal 4 years in high school and load up in university. There's no reason why a degree can't be finished in 3 years and only be 21. I completed my bachelor's in 3 years while performing and working. It's doable...difficult, but doable. I also think it would be a good training ground to master organization and all of the juggling of general life that occurs when you're trying to "make it" and still eat, pay rent, work, etc.

Just a thought...  :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Graduating early for drama school?

Posted 11-06-2015 16:21

Mr. Goodchild,

I think it is wonderful that you have a student willing to put themselves out there at such a young age to go after their dream. That is a delicate age, where as artist we feel invincible and that the world is at our feet.

I think the best advice you could give your student, coming from a similar situation, is to think things through and give yourself the time and space to grow and develop. As a freshman in high school, I was on a similar path and saw all the many opportunities that were open to me. Graduating early was definitely a consideration of mine, and something I looked into thoroughly with my parents, as well as my director.  Looking back now, as a senior in high school, I am so grateful I didn't give up this year. While I grew so much my sophomore and junior years, I have had more incredible opportunities my senior year than I could have ever imagined. I have met the most wonderful people that have aided me on my journey, and I feel having had another extra year has given me more perspective and equipped me with the tools I need to succeed in theatre, and in life. School can be difficult to balance with theatre and other activities, especially when graduating early, but it can be done. 

Graduating early can be a perfect fit for some, and not for others. Through time, and self-discovery, I'm sure your student will make the right choice for her. 

If your student needs any more advice, or help from someone who has been there, please feel free to give her my email address: ofriend@schooltheatre.org.