Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-11-2021 21:02
    We did Almost, Maine in 2017.  I think it's too soon to do it this spring but some of my high school students don't seem to care.  For those who have directed a show more than once, what is your typical window?  How soon is too soon?  Thank you.

------------------------------
    K Lang

• 2.  RE: Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-12-2021 06:31
    I’ve always had a 10 year rule. By that point most, if not all, of the families of the cast of the original production will have graduated out of the system so the show becomes “new” again.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-12-2021 07:03
    I have not yet repeated a show but I agree with the ten year rule being a good metric. There are so many wonderful plays, and with Almost, Maine already being so frequently produced I would look for a different show to introduce your students to in order to help them expand their knowledge of the theatrical canon.

Sadie Andros
    Theatre Director
    Cape Henlopen High School

• 4.  RE: Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-12-2021 07:31
    The answer depends on who the show is for. I've known a number of high school directors who considered six years between repeats a good number, but when you think about it, these kids have not experienced this show. If your choice is based on the kids you have now, then go for it. Their enthusiasm will make it a success. If, on the other hand, your choice is based on your community's memory, you may want to wait longer. (In educational theatre, I am betting your choice is based on the kids who will benefit and learn.)
    Go for it!
    Debbie Corbin, retired
    Past President, EdTA

• 5.  RE: Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-12-2021 11:40
    Once per "generation"...Mine was a secondary school, so 6 years.  I'm not fond of repeating shows, but that's the metric I'd use. My nearby colleague does Midsummer... every four years so that all of his students for decades have done that show with him, in various styles.

Douglas "Chip" Rome
    Theatre Consultant
    Educational Stages
    Burke VA
    http://EducationalStages.com
    https://bit.ly/RWTEOview
    https://bit.ly/eTeachTech

• 6.  RE: Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-12-2021 11:52
    I agree, you want to wait 8-10 years before repeating. You want the show to be fresh and new to the actors as well as the audience. Repeating something too soon doesn't always go over very well, even with a great show like Almost Maine.  The first production will still be fairly fresh in everyone's mind and you will run into the audience and actors comparing the two productions and the performers from each. "John was good but Steve who played that character last time was better".  

If they really want to do Almost Maine perhaps they could choose a couple scenes to compete with at Thescon, or do as a theatre class project or maybe a theatre showcase night.

Jillian Lietzau
    Lutheran High School
    CO

• 7.  RE: Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-13-2021 09:35
    I just did Much Ado About Nothing again after seven years. I chose it because I thought it was the best fit for my students. I was worried it might be a stale experience for me, but it was just as fun as the first time, since the students were new to it, and since we changed the setting (the first time it was set in a 70's disco, this time in a wild west saloon).

If Almost is a good fit for your students and they are excited about it, then do it.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

Theater kills ignorance

• 8.  RE: Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-13-2021 14:06
    I think it really depends on the show, and as others have stated, some shows like Midsummer can be repeated every 4 to 5 years in various styles or in various cuttings and or adaptations.  I know several schools, for example, that repeat A Christmas Carol each season-- having students play the same parts if they would like to do so.  I generally do not repeat shows, but there are some like Arsenic and Old Lace or Guys and Dolls that I think would be a lot of fun to do again and again.  For me, it really depends on my students-- does the show fit the needs of my students-- that's usually my primary question.

Hope all is well

Michael Johnson
    Trinity High School
    NC

• 9.  RE: Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-14-2021 08:22
    I think its best to wait at least 5 years before redoing the same show. By doing that it becomes brand new show because everyone who has been involved in it has graduated and the new group hasn't done it. That usually works out well because most of your audience is new  too.

Ted Lewis
    Buchholz Senior High School
    FL

• 10.  RE: Repeating a Past Show-How Soon is Too Soon?

Posted 11-15-2021 10:53
    I've directed several shows more than once. The rule I followed was that I wouldn't direct one that I had directed in the past 10 years, or any the school had done in the past 5 years. My reasoning was that after a decade, my head would be in a different space and I wouldn't just be doing a retread and after five years anyone associated with the production would have graduated. It's worked pretty well for me though I've directed Romeo and Juliet three times and made some of the same overall production choices each time - for three completely different reasons.

Robert Smith
    VA Co-Chapter Director
    Virginia Thespians
    Centreville VA