Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Different versions of Alice in Wonderland

Posted 11-28-2021 10:46

Hello! I'm thinking about doing Alice in Wonderland with my high schoolers. There are so many versions out there wondering what the pros and cons are to each one and which one would best fit high school kids. Thanks in advance! 

Jordanne 

------------------------------
    Jordanne Bradley
    Estes Park High School
    CO

• 2.  RE: Different versions of Alice in Wonderland

Posted 11-29-2021 03:30
    I've done Alice in Wonderland more times since college and throughout my teaching career than any other title. The most traditional version is Eva Lagalliene's and covers Wonderland and Lookingglass. It's long and very wordy. The most abstract one is Andre Gregory and The Manhattan Project's version. It too covers both books but is shorter, somewhat abstract, and trippy. My suggestion is to create a version with your students directly from Lewis Carroll. In that way, the kids have the experience of adapting and devising. You can do whatever fits your space, make it as simple or as complicated as you'd like, and save money on royalties. Over 42 years, I've done this 4 times, and each production/adaptation has been completely different, although we always did it directly from the Carroll and wrote no new dialogue.

• 3.  RE: Different versions of Alice in Wonderland

Posted 11-29-2021 08:00

We just finished the Eva Legalliene and Florida Freibus version here at my high school.  It is actually the second time that I have done it.  Both times I was left feeling unsatisfied.  Why did I do it twice?  This time I did not direct- I just produced, and I cautioned my director about it... it just feels to me like:  after the first 15 minutes, it is just a parade of characters who come on and off stage, and it begins to feel like:  "Who cares?"

Without AMAZING sets, lights, and costumes- I'd stay away from this version. 

Michaecl

Sent from Mail for Windows

• 4.  RE: Different versions of Alice in Wonderland

Posted 11-29-2021 22:59
    I just closed ALICE IN WONDERLAND by Jason Pizzarello (Playscripts). My students and audience really enjoyed the show. It is a combination of Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking Glass. The story flows nicely and it is only 75 minutes!

Sonja Brown, Theatre Teacher
    Thespian Troupe 839
    Galt High School

• 5.  RE: Different versions of Alice in Wonderland

Posted 11-30-2021 08:11
    I really like Virginia Koste's Alice In Wonder

Joanna Lewton
    Arts Director
    Capital City Public Charter School
    Washington DC

• 6.  RE: Different versions of Alice in Wonderland

Posted 12-01-2021 13:27
    Have you looked at the one by Jerome Mcdonough?  It is a fun piece to do. It is an ensemble piece and all of the actors are on stage all of the time.  It introduces the idea of a Japanese props person - all dressed in black and handing the props to the actors as a part of the show. It works for all ages and provides an experience in creating something together.
    Cathy

Cathy Archer
    EdTA Member or Troupe Director
    Rutland High School
    VT