Open Forum

Expand all | Collapse all

Play with multiple scenes

• 1.  Play with multiple scenes

Posted 11-30-2015 17:22
    Hi there!

I teach at a school with two senior classes of theater majors that need to perform a senior showcase. I'm looking for a play that has multiple self contained scenes that i can direct in the two classes but then pull together into one show. Any thoughts?

Best!

Jill Coon

Sent from my iPhone

• 2.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 11-30-2015 18:53
    Almost Maine by John Cariani?

• 3.  RE:Play with multiple scenes

Posted 12-01-2015 05:19
    The Dining Room

---------------------------------
    Daniel Barrett
    Houston TX
    ---------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 12-01-2015 05:45
    Try 24 hours am and 24 hours pm. I used both these plays in a similar situation.

Sent from my iPad

• 5.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 12-01-2015 06:02

Hi there, 

'School of Shakespeare' can be rehearsed completely separately and then pieced together. I did it with a cast of 80 (but can def be done by less) and only put it all together at the dress rehearsal. Worked really well. 

Can preview the script here. 

Hope this helps and good luck with your search! 

Adrienne :O) 

https://www.treepress.org/scripts/sos

------------------------------
    Adrienne Ferguson
    Creative Director
    TreePress
    London. United Kingdom
    adrienne@treepress.org

www.treepress.org
    Making theatre easily accessible for everyone, everywhere.

• 6.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 12-01-2015 07:19

We staged a production of "Who Am I This Time (& Other Conundrums of Love) by Aaron Posner based on stories by Kurt Vonnegut.  Funny and moving and thoroughly entertaining- completely worthwhile!

Break Legs!

Caroline Clayton
    Teacher
    New Palestine IN

• 7.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 12-01-2015 09:56

Check Please and Check Please 2 by Jonathan Rand

Short scenes about dating life.

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 8.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 12-01-2015 10:21

Class Action, Second Class, and Third Class by Brad Slaight. Combo's of monologues and scenes that are stand alone but all deal with what happens in school outside of the classroom. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 12-01-2015 10:20

The Dining Room would certainly work. You could also make the Long View work, though you would need at least a few rehearsals with the entire cast for the the opening/closing scene. Not to sound like a broken record (I've recommended it before), but you could also make Bob: A Life in Five Acts work, with a different actor playing Bob in each act (each act is a different part of his life).

If you wanted to go very dark and creepy, Very Still and Hard to See fits the bill, though your administration might not approve it. It's a Japanese mythology-inspired story about a haunted/possessed hotel that has only two recurring characters over 7 scenes.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 10.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 12-01-2015 11:04

I taught high school for 31 years & that’s the problem every year. Look at: Exhibit This! The Museum Comedies published by Samuel French.  Comedy with 7 one acts, 6 monologues.  It has 34 parts that can be doubled (Genders changed.)  It is done often. Two high school took it to the Edinburgh Festival this summer. The following link is to a professional theatre production by Playhouse on the Square at the Memphis Brooks Museum of Art & at the Dixon Gallery and Gardens. It's about the Metropolitan Museum of Art that comes to life one night!  http://www.commercialappeal.com/go-memphis/paintings-themselves-are-missing-characters-exhibi   

And look at: ALL THE KING'S WOMEN published by Samuel French.  Comedy with 5 one acts, 4 monologues.  There is an ad in the recent November issue of Dramatics Magazine (the College Theatre Guide) for the play on page 86.  The scenes are great for acting classes!  Break a leg.

Luigi Jannuzzi
    Hillsborough NJ

• 11.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 09-27-2016 20:29

Thank you everyone!  We ended up writing our own piece which was a blast.  But now we are producing Almost Maine.  Thank you for all of these wonderful recommendations.  I will be looking through your suggestions again this year to see offer suggestions to my current seniors.  Thank you!

Jill Coon
    Theater Teacher
    Brooklyn NY

• 12.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 09-27-2016 21:04

Another option for the future is Neil Simon's The Good Doctor.  There is only 1 recurring character and I don't recall that he has scenes with anyone else...he acts as a narrator or story guide, if I remember correctly.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 13.  RE: Play with multiple scenes

Posted 10-01-2016 14:17

I would add Story Theatre by Paul Sills. Back in the day, my high school students absolutely loved this play and the creative possibilities it offers.

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Washington, DC