Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-18-2018 06:06
    Next spring, I may find myself for the first time in the position of feeling like we simply do have the staffing resources to pull off a big musical. We've had a bit of a golden run for the last 6 years since I've been here. This is not to claim credit – the musical has always been directed by one of two excellent musically-gifted musical directors (who also teach choir, etc) and I have focused on acting, blocking, and the tech side, with still others on choreography, etc. etc. 

International schools have greater turn-over than schools in the States and our hiring pool is smaller. This year, unfortunately, several of our key people are moving on and I don't know yet who we'll have. We may not find someone at all. And I know my limits. I have a good ear for music and can sing, so I can hear that pitch is off and diction and other things need work...but I don't have the training to teach a singer how to fix that problem. 

So...with that as a lead-up, if we simply do NOT get a person that can do vocal training, what are my options? Because of the legacy of our program, the expectation is pretty high that we will always do great musicals, but this is a lot of pressure on me if we simply cannot staff it to make that happen. One option seems to be to NOT do a musical next year, but instead, look for a large-cast play, ideally with some, but less ambitious, musical elements. Since I'm doing a comedy with cast of 15 for the fall play, I would be up for something bigger or grander, but not sure what. Some Shakespeare productions have included added music, right? Any other great ideas?

------------------------------
    Steven Slaughter
    English/Theatre
    Rosslyn Academy
    Nairobi, Kenya

"Be joyful, though you have considered all the facts." - W Berry

• 2.  RE: "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-18-2018 08:11
    I am always going to say "yes" to producing Shakespeare, and, in this case, it might be exactly what you are looking for.  "Much Ado", "Twelfth Night" and "As You Like It" all offer a lot in the way of music, but "Midsummer" and even "Romeo & Juliet" can be pretty musical as well. All of those can support a large cast and also have movement and dance opportunities.  I have had great success with enlisting musical students, singer-songwriters or small ensembles, to write music to Shakespeare's lyrics and perform as a part of the cast or as an on-stage band. 
     Good luck! I know I could not produce our annual musical to the caliber that is expected or probably at all, without our music directors and choreographer.  I think those kids are lucky to have someone who is flexible, creative and willing to try something a bit different!

Elana Kepner
    Theatre Instructor
    The Oakwood School
    Greenville NC

• 3.  RE: "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-18-2018 08:36
    I second Elana's recommendation to "musicalize" Shakespeare. With a little research and licensing, you can integrate all sorts of music into a Shakespeare play, especially his comedies. (We've produced musicalized Twelfth NightThe Tempest, and Midsummer.  I recommend watching Kenneth Branagh's Loves Labours Lost.  Not only is it excellently performed, but his cast, many of whom are clearly not musical theatre folks, do a wonderful job with the songs and dances. And if you have motivated kids, you might be able to find a student choreographer and possibly a student accompanist/musical director.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    The Potomac School
    McLean, VA

• 4.  RE: "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-18-2018 09:25
    ​I would take a look at Tom Aldolora's The Spoon River Project. It's based on the book Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. It's described by him as "a play with music, not a musical." It is mainly monologues, with some poetry that connects the story and songs that appear at the beginning, end and other moments. It's very theatrical. This play is designed to be performed indoors, or outdoors if you are looking to change things up a bit.

Christopher Dwyer
    Head of Drama
    St. Vincent Pallotti High School
    Laurel, MD 20707

• 5.  RE: "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-19-2018 23:57
    That is the situation I found myself in 4 yrs ago. I had an unbelievably talented music director who I gave Carte Blanche to in all areas the last 2 weeks of every show for 6 yrs. When he left I was so scared that I couldn’t do it without him so I picked a Pioneer version of known titles and I invited him to come for a week in The middle of our rehearsal schedule and paid him $100 a night. We had a small bump In the quality of the show and I feared we wouldn’t have our usual bump the last 2 weeks, but we did. I’ve continued to use Pioneer. We’ve done Oz (twice), Secret Garden, and Meet Me in Louis. I don’t bring him in anymore but I bring in a piano player the last 2 weeks. Our regular rehearsal schedule Includes a 90 min. music rehearsal once a week with the CD with all and each soloist gets (5) 30 min individual music rehearsals with the CD, throughout the rehearsal schedule. I can’t help them sing but I do know things like pronouncing your T’s & not forcing a vibrato. I also know what is good & not good. I know when they come in late, etc. Mostly I help them preform the song instead of just sing it. You can do it!!

Maria Stadtmueller
    St. Augustine School
    Kendall Park, NJ

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-20-2018 13:02
    You can actually do almost any show you want because many have the orchestra tracks available. It is not cheap but we found it to be a great alternative to a live orchestra, which we did not have in building the dept. These systems have the ability to change the key, tempo, etc just like a live orchestra would. You do need someone to operate the system from their laptop  iPad etc. We did Annie, Cinderella, The Music Man, Alice In Wonderland....all big shows with large casts.
    Our very first musical was Oz from Pioneer (which someone already mentioned)  That is a great show!
    Good luck with whatever you choose!

Connie Sandoz
    Waxahachie, TX
    Retired Theatre Director
    Henderson, NV

• 7.  RE: "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-21-2018 12:47
    Almost all of Shakespeare's plays already involve music of some kind, especially the comedies. Check out The Shakespeare Songbook. It lists every song used or even mentioned in Shakespeare's play with background notes, lyrics, musical settings, and an accompanying cd. Or add music. I did a successful production of R&J that incorporated contemporary music in a modern setting for the play. I saw a production of Macbeth, set in a rave using rock music. It included a heavy metal band called Birnam Wood which came to Dunsinane.

Greek playwrights also incorporate music in their plays. So much so that Aristotle included music as one of his six dramatic elements. Again a modern setting with contemporary music could be interesting.

For a play with music, you might consider Peter and the Starcatcher. It uses music and has a flexible cast.

James Van Leishout
    Olympia WA

• 8.  RE: "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-21-2018 14:14
    I love this question bc I have the same one! I love the Shakespeare ideas - thank you!

I did Peter and the Starcatcher last year with the same restrictions that you have and it was AMAZING. I'd do it every year if I could! Love love love that show. There are only two major songs and they do require harmony which my students couldn't do, so our music teacher reduced the harmonies and recorded the tracks for the students to learn on their own. Best show ever!

Arden Thomas
    Sequoyah High School
    Pasadena CA

• 9.  RE: "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-21-2018 23:18
    My school does one 'musical' every year. In lieu of expensive, complicated musicals, we use Broadway Revue shows. It allows for the music and choreography in a condensed form and without the need for character casting. Our elementary, middle, and high school departments each perform a different show's Broadway Revue,  performing it mostly in choruses with a few solos.

Kaitlyn Fowler
    President, Troupe 4909
    Mississippi Thespian Officer
    Jackson
    Mississippi

• 10.  RE: "Musical" Alternative to a Real Musical

Posted 05-22-2018 06:41
    You might consider Emma,A Pop Musical from Playscripts. Our kids had lots of fun with it. Scripts and tracks are inexpensive relative to ordinary musicals. The songs are familiar and fun for kids. 
    Choregraphy is the kind that some talented kids could develop on their own if necessary.  It might give them real ownership over the piece. The only costume issue creating a uniform for the fictional prep school and Amazon can help you out there.

Nell] [Lynch]
    Timonium MDMaggie